I've had some song ideas that need a specific form of overdrive/distortion tone for. I find it's used a lot in Tokyo Police Club and Los Campesinos songs, but I hear it in many other songs as well. Now, my question would be: how does one go about getting that sound? I've used multiple combinations of distortion and overdrive pedals, amps, and guitars, but I can't seem to get it. Any help? It's kind of thin, but the gain is still really present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj6SO_yKMe8
(Around 1:15)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7v1-5Ainvo
(First guitar)
I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else looking for that certain studio sound.

Forget it.

Seriously. The tricks available to studio engineers are limitless, as is the cash. They do it on purpose - so you can't easily recreate the same tone. Everything from custom pedals to custom amps to multiple amps can be used to create that one-of-a-kind tone.

Do your best to get as close to it as possible and let it go at that. Good luck!
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jan 16, 2012,
I am going to guess that all your experiments have been limited to one signal chain?
As in guitar > effects > amp?

Well, what the first clip sounds like to me is that there is a parallel signal going on. This could be multi tracking and other studio wizardry as KG6 says.

A simpler method for the average joe is to split the guitar into two signal chains run in parallel where one is mostly clean and the other is very dirty, possibly with a fuzz.

I have done similar with a DOD FX65 chorus pedal set up to be a stereo generator (split the signal) ran two chains of pedals in parallel, one dirty, one clean, and used a passive resistance mixer to blend the two signals back together into one amp.

That combination along with a second amp running a wet delay signal makes for some crazy sounds.
Last edited by irnmadn88 at Jan 16, 2012,
sounds like a strat on neck/middle to an EHX bass muff (with fuzz almost all the way down) hooked into a FRFR setup.

it's not gonna be exact but it's about as close as you're gonna get without going to their studio and using their instruments and recording setup
Last edited by CJ Noble at Jan 17, 2012,
Have you tried a fuzz pedal? It's like a lofi fuzzy sound. Maybe a fuzz and a graphic eq to make the tone more lofi
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Klon.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by KG6_Steven
I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else looking for that certain studio sound.

Forget it.

Seriously. The tricks available to studio engineers are limitless, as is the cash. They do it on purpose - so you can't easily recreate the same tone. Everything from custom pedals to custom amps to multiple amps can be used to create that one-of-a-kind tone.

Do your best to get as close to it as possible and let it go at that. Good luck!

Dude.. its a fuzz, its not that ground breaking tonewise.

TS sounds like a single coil guitar on the middle position into a fuzz of some sort