I am curious to know where others find their inspiration from. I tend to come up with a bunch of little riffs in my head, but they are about 95% things that I would never use. I tend to find that when I am attempting play something by someone else, I mutilate the riff beyond recognition and end up creating something my own and wonderful.

Where do you tend to get your best musical idea's from? Do they start with or without instrument in hand?
From my dreams, I dream about music and write it in real life. Its usually just a really short phrase, but thats enough to work the rest of the song out.
Quote by vitorlp
From my dreams, I dream about music and write it in real life. Its usually just a really short phrase, but thats enough to work the rest of the song out.

I envy you if your dreams give you inspiration, mine always come across as nonsense even if viewed symbolically. Very rarely anything worth having from them.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Stephen King. Average writer, but good for a quip or two.

I may try to take that to heart, maybe trying to find the muse and not wait for ideas will be beneficial.
^,of course continuing on with something that actually fits well with that rift is still a difficult task for me.
same on the dreams thing. I sometimes dream I'm playing this awesome song, then I wake up and try to play it again but most of the time I can't because I'm just waaaaayyy better in my dreams than in reality. Still have parts of them, so I can "rewrite" them when I have the technique.

Other musicians inspire me to surpass them, too.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
I also tend to come up with riffs by dickin around while learning music by other bands. It normally only takes me one or two good riffs to get the ball rollin on a song
Quote by BigHeadClan
^,of course continuing on with something that actually fits well with that rift is still a difficult task for me.

Ditto, although I've found that I don't tend to come up with many riffs that I want in that song, I do come up with a number of good riffs that I can use for other songs. I'd still rather have a completed song that a bunch of incomplete ones but at least there is something gained.
Quote by ⠽⠑⠏⠎⠑⠝

I may try to take that to heart, maybe trying to find the muse and not wait for ideas will be beneficial.

That's the thing. It's not necessarily about "finding a muse," it's just about getting to work and getting stuff done. I've always liked another little bit from a guy named Stuart McLean (he's a Canadian writer/radio broadcaster) that I heard once. I actually found the article here: http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/2011/08/from-stuart-mclean.html

It's interesting because he's right, it's not the ideas. Anyone can come up with an idea, it's turning that idea into something that someone wants to read (or in the case of music, listen to). That's not inspiration, that's skill.
Always seems to happen with the guitar in hand, even though I'm technically the keyboardist. Some days everything sound good and Ill groove out something awesome, other days I feel like I've wasted my life trying to learn music. I find that sparingly using cannabis can help generate some high quality ideas on those good days.

Always trying to expand the horizons. Started listenin to bluegrass and transcribing sax solos for guitar, opens up the mind to ways of playing.
Usually the ideas started flowing for me in school, specifically in math and art classes. I don't get that inspiration anymore since I graduated.
37N
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
"Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work."

I think I'll also try to take that to heart.

A lot of the time I'll just sit with GP open and expect something to come to me, but that hardly ever works. The best thing you can do is to put something down and start on anything, even if its the most unoriginal or strangest sounding thing. Elaborate from a single point, rather than expecting the whole thing to come at once.
A pithy confirmation of the above, though reluctantly given:

The poets invoked the muse, they did not wait for it.
You might could use some double modals.