I currently use the D'addario 10-46 in Drop D. Its perfect for my style! I'm gonna buy a set or 2 of 11-49. I might put it in Drop C, but I think it would be a lil bit loose. What tuning should I put it in? Drop C#?, Drop C?
Well what tuning do you want to play in?

Then buy the strings that you will want to use in the tuning you decide.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I use .11s in standard, they can go down to drop Bb. So basically, almost any tuning you want besides up.
Quote by DanGuitarist
I currently use the D'addario 10-46 in Drop D. Its perfect for my style! I'm gonna buy a set or 2 of 11-49. I might put it in Drop C, but I think it would be a lil bit loose. What tuning should I put it in? Drop C#?, Drop C?
How the **** do you know that it's perfect for your style if you don't even know what tuning you are putting it in? It will feel drastically different in standard than it will in a dropped tuning.

On a 24.75" scale guitar, I use 11-48 in standard. I couldn't really imagine downtuning that an entire step and not having a really flabby and incoherent sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 16, 2012,
All my guitars use .13's in standard, sooo I'm gonna say those are too thin for anything.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I use 11s for D standard or sometimes drop C on a 24.75 scale guitar since I just had them laying around, but I've always heard that for every half step you detune you should go up a size (eg .10-.11 for a half step).

Of course, that could be completely wrong, and I use 10s for standard...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I use these same strings on my el-cheapo Squier Strat and I've used them for several different tunings (currently I have them in Drop C#).

As for your concerns about them possibly being too loose in Drop C, mine felt just fine whenever I tuned them to that, but of course it's all a matter of preference.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Quote by mcraddict81592
All my guitars use .13's in standard, sooo I'm gonna say those are too thin for anything.

Jon Schaffer uses .13s in Eb. Perfect for his insane gallop!
Quote by DanGuitarist

12's or 13's for Drop C. Those 11's will be great in standard though.
.11's in E standard. any lower than that it goes to .13's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
E Standard or Eb standard. Anything less is dumb. I use 12's for anything lower.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I use 11-49 for drop D down a 1/2 step. (C#G#C#F#A#D#)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by redandwhite12
Were the fack does everybody get 13's do these have wound G's? I've never even seen 13's. I did use thos bigass ernie ball droptune set thing for a while which had most of a 13 set in it. Also 11's or 12's should be fine for this.

yes, they do usually have a wound G as far as i know, i've never seen any sets larger than 12s that haven't. the standard types of strings that most people use don't tend to go any higher than 12s, and these are the sets that are sold everywhere whereas anything heavier is usually more expensive and harder to find.

here are some examples:

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/1713/medium-electric-nickel-wound-w-wound-g
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=354
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=68 - this set even looks like it has an un-wound G.

@TS: string gauges are a matter of personal preference and whether it'll work for you depends on how much tension you like your strings to have and what kind of guitar you're using since a longer scale length will give you more tension from a thinner gauge when tuned to the same pitch. if you find 10-46s ok for drop D then 11-49s may be fine for drop C, although i expect they'll feel a bit looser at that pitch. perhaps try 12s instead?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp