When I tap on the high E string, every time (and without fail) the High e string gets pulled off of the fretboard and makes a terrible noise.
Is there anything I can do about this?

I have an Ibanez RG370DX
Last edited by Fapitalist at Jan 16, 2012,
You may want to check the action if tapping above the 12th doesn't work. The string is most likely too close to the other frets if it isn't audible. Try fretting/doing some hammer on, pull of licks too further check this. As for the OP: Do you mean it is sliding off the fretboard, or it sounds terrible when tapped on?
Post a video so I can see your tapping technique.

If you're pulling the string off the neck and your notes aren't sounding out, it sounds like you aren't striking the string hard enough with enough consistency to make the note ring out. You should be able to tap any fret and hear it sound fluently and consistently. If you're pulling the whole string off the neck, your pull-off motion is a little overzealous.
Maybe you need to practice it more to get cleanly? my guitar string used to do that after i corrected the action, and i was woah! i figured it was my technique so i practice more till i got it clean and i didnt do that anymore. what im tryin to say is that it maybe you and no the string
Quote by Skullivan
You may want to check the action if tapping above the 12th doesn't work. The string is most likely too close to the other frets if it isn't audible. Try fretting/doing some hammer on, pull of licks too further check this. As for the OP: Do you mean it is sliding off the fretboard, or it sounds terrible when tapped on?

It slides off of the fretboard. When I started out my teacher said it might have had something to just do with the way it was manufactured. That was 4 years ago and wasnt a big deal then, but now it's quite annoying
I tap down, pull off and the string slides off of the fretboard
Hmm, this also happens to me on one of my two guitars. I think the string spacing may be off either at the nut or bridge.
Epiphone Evolution Explorer EMG'd Euaaahhh
Fender Squier Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 75w W/Sanpera I