So I am a serious theory noob despite playing guitar fairly well, as a result I haven't written much of anything, which bothers me. So I've been reading up and I'm gonna get some of these books that are recommended on here. In the mean time I need some help/

I do have this chord progression that I like:
F(barre) Bb(barre) C(open) Am(open) then I release my index finger. Anyway it has kind of a folk/slower rock feel.

I'm looking for a scale to solo/write the the melody in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS as I said, my knowledge of terminology/theory is extremely low, so if you could explain the scale/post a link to somewhere that does it would be so awesome.
What chord does it feel like it ends on?

It looks like it's in the key of F major. Use F major scale over all.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I've tried the F Major scale, and this may sound dumb, but I don't feel like it gives me enough notes to work with, is there a way to like expand the scale?

edit: feels like it ends on the F, so yes I do want to be in F
Quote by qaz923
I've tried the F Major scale, and this may sound dumb, but I don't feel like it gives me enough notes to work with, is there a way to like expand the scale?

you ca use all the notes but you can use the scale as a sort starting point
Quote by qaz923

Does your F major scale look like this?

And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud

I'm looking for a scale to solo/write the the melody in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
/QUOTE]

Develop your ear.

Good music is written NOT by fiddling around in a scale until you stumble upon something you like, but rather by hearing a sound in your head and translating that to your voice or instrument.

If you want to write music, nothing is as important as your ear.

I think at your level it'll be a bit of a challenge, but I would encourage you to download the functional ear trainer from miles.be and to read "Ear Training For the Contemporary Musician" by Keith Wyatt et al.