Jokes! Kind of. I grabbed this puppy for $1000! So I pretty much did steal it! After really disliking my Pod HD500, I moved on to the Eleven Rack. The Eleven Rack was seriously an awesome machine. It didn't have as many amp models as the Pod or as many efffects, but the amp and cab modelling on it was just waaaaaay ahead of the Pod. I was satisfied with the Eleven Rack because I thought an Axe would be way out of my price range for at least a few years. Then one night I was just checking out Kijiji to see if there was any sweet deals around when I found this Axe-FX for $1000! Not only an Axe-FX Standard, but an Ultra! I knew if I let this one slip through my fingers I would regret it for a long time so I borrowed some cash and here she is. I had to drive 4 hours to go grab it but it was so worth it. The night before I went up to the city I realized I'm going to need a new interface for the Axe (that was one really nice thing with the 11R, awesome built in interface). I looked around and found a Presonus Firepod in the same city for $250. At $250 I thought it was better than a fair price so I borrowed a bit more cash Unfortunately when I got home and plugged it all in I realized I don't have the correct Firewire cable for the Firepod. My iMac has Firewire 400 and the Firepod is Firewire 800. So unfortunately that means no clips for the time being

The Axe FX is an amazing machine. It sounds real and the possibilities are endless. There's literally nothing you can't do with this unit. I'm honestly really impressed an now totally understand why dudes are paying $1700 for one of these used.

But what do I think of it in comparison to the Pod HD's and the Eleven Rack?
It's obviously superior. The Axe has it all. Importable impulses, more amp models than the pod and 11 combined, more stock cabs, more effects, better amp models, better effects, better sound. It's basically just better. At the same time as I say that though, the Eleven Rack is an outstanding unit. It doesn't have as many effects or amp and cab models, but for most people it's more than enough and the sounds that come out of that box are incredible as well. I pretty much just used the recto on the 11R and I've gotta say, it's pretty close to the axe. It's truly not far off. The fact that the 11R was an interface as well was really nice and convenient too.
The pod on the other hand. I never had a really good experience with it. For lower gain and clean tones it was great and for the price it had tonnes of awesome effects, but when it came to high gain tones, they were just garbage compared to the 11R and Axe-FX.

TL;DR:
Axe-FX = Absolutely Amazing
11R = Seriously Awesome
Pod HD = Great for effects and cleans, shit for high gain
Sorry no clips yet due to lack of correct cables.

Shitty iPhone pics!:

The whole setup:

I almost feel bad for the poor thing, it was awesome and we had such great times!
Last edited by Levi79 at Jan 17, 2012,
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

HNDSPD!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Ha ha. I beat your second post
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Meh, I heard it can't really do metal...

Why buy a non-br00tz amp?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
The FirePod is NOT FireWire 800. I used that interface for years on a FW400 card. In fact, I can't even think of a single interface that requires you to have FW800.

AWESOME steal on the Axe though!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Eppicurt
Ha ha. I beat your second post

In fact you did.

Quote by Guitarbaddie
Meh, I heard it can't really do metal...

Why buy a non-br00tz amp?

What can't do metal?

Quote by MatrixClaw
The FirePod is NOT FireWire 800. I used that interface for years on a FW400 card. In fact, I can't even think of an interface that requires you to have FW800.

AWESOME steal on the Axe though!

I must have gotten em mixed up then. The firewire on my mac and firewire on my firepod are not the same, let's just say that
Also, how do you like your firepod?
I think he's just trollin' cause he knows the Axe can sound just as good as his precious tube amps.
This thing seriously blew my mind when I plugged it in. It still is blowing my mind and I haven't even scratched the surface.

I thought I might as well add. I got this mic a couple days ago too!

Awesome first mic, now I just gotta learn how to do vocals correctly
Quote by Levi79
I think he's just trollin' cause he knows the Axe can sound just as good as his precious tube amps.
This thing seriously blew my mind when I plugged it in. It still is blowing my mind and I haven't even scratched the surface.

I think it's a joke since most bands using the SnaxFX are br00tz bands.

Congrats on the deal though. I just got on the list for the AxeII a couple days ago.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Congrats Levi!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Levi79
I must have gotten em mixed up then. The firewire on my mac and firewire on my firepod are not the same, let's just say that
Also, how do you like your firepod?

Either there's something wrong with your Mac, something wrong with the Firewire, or your drivers don't support your OS.

FW400 devices will work on both FW400 and FW800 inputs. If you mean the actual port to plug it in is different, then it's just because there's 2 different connections for FireWire, one's a mini input and the other is full sized. You can get a cable that has the full size on one end, and the small size on the other for <$5 online.

I don't have the Firepod anymore, I got rid of it a while back in favor of a Saffire Pro 40. The Firepod had shoddy drivers with Windows 7, it really only worked on Windows XP, and I needed Windows 7 to use Pro Tools 9. I do kind of miss its preamps though, the Saffire is much cleaner, but the Firepod was super easy to use and the preamps were pretty aggressive.

Quote by mmolteratx
Congrats on the deal though. I just got on the list for the AxeII a couple days ago.

Are they still $2200, or have they officially increased the price to $2600? I'm confused by Fractal's pricing system.

Hoping mine will be here next week....
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Either there's something wrong with your Mac, something wrong with the Firewire, or your drivers don't support your OS.

FW400 devices will work on both FW400 and FW800 inputs. If you mean the actual port to plug it in is different, then it's just because there's 2 different connections for FireWire, one's a mini input and the other is full sized. You can get a cable that has the full size on one end, and the small size on the other for <$5 online.

I don't have the Firepod anymore, I got rid of it a while back in favor of a Saffire Pro 40. The Firepod had shoddy drivers with Windows 7, it really only worked on Windows XP, and I needed Windows 7 to use Pro Tools 9. I do kind of miss its preamps though, the Saffire is much cleaner, but the Firepod was super easy to use and the preamps were pretty aggressive.

Are they still $2200, or have they officially increased the price to $2600? I'm confused by Fractal's pricing system.

Congrats on purchasing the Axe II homie. Excited to see and NGD of that. Be sure to post it in the DSP thread so I don't miss it! I tend to just check that and the 7 string legion usually.
That's my issue though. My iMac has the small and while the Firepod has the big end. I live in a small town and went down to the only electronics store to get a cable and they wanted $30 for a shitty one so I just ordered one off Ebay which means no clips forr probably 2 weeks, but I'm not paying $30 for that.
I really gotta read up on the recording preamps and shit sometime. I want to go to school for some kind of recording arts cause it really interests me and knowing more advanced stuff than click record would probably help alot.

Quote by fly135
Nice score. An 11R just showed up for sale local for $400. So tempted.

Dude that's a steal. That's almost as good as the deal I got on my Axe! Grab that dude! That's seriously an excellent deal. Even if you end up not digging it you could sell it and probably profit $200!
Wow $1000 for an Ultra. Cool.

You're running the Firepod with a power supply? You'll need one anyway if you're using a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable plus it sounds better with the power supply. You have the firewire port on the Mac turned on, right?

Quote by MatrixClaw
Hmmm. I'm running a Firebox which is a Firepod with fewer pre-amps on a Win7 Pro machine just fine..
Nice. You've come a long way since the Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by BobDetroit
Wow $1000 for an Ultra. Cool.

You're running the Firepod with a power supply? You'll need one anyway if you're using a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable plus it sounds better with the power supply. You have the firewire port on the Mac turned on, right?

Hmmm. I'm running a Firebox which is a Firepod with fewer pre-amps on a Win7 Pro machine just fine..

I think they've updated drivers since I got rid of mine. This was a while ago. Presonus isn't really known for their speedy support. I used it with Vista and the then Win7 for a year or so, with constant audio dropouts. No bueno when you're recording bands and the thing randomly stops playback and recording every 30 seconds
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Levi79
The fact that I can't record is killing me. Went to grab a firewire cable and the place in town wanted $30! So I ordered one off of ebay and it should be here in a week or two time.

monoprice.com

everyone check this site out. good quality cables for cheap. real cheap. great shipping prices and speed too. this is not intended to be an ad, a guy at work told me about this so i did an order its legit. i ordered an audio cable as thick as a monster speaker cable with gold plating and everything 6 feet long it was less than 2$

HNDSPD!!!! great steal. Quite an Achievement.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Levi79
The fact that I can't record is killing me. Went to grab a firewire cable and the place in town wanted $30! So I ordered one off of ebay and it should be here in a week or two time.

PSSST.

Plug the Axe into your 11R to record. DUH.

Quote by MatrixClaw

If you are on the waiting list, when your name comes up you get a coupon for $400 OFF the regular price of $2600. They pump out 2-4 units daily, or something like that. And those units are available for $2600.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
If you are on the waiting list, when your name comes up you get a coupon for $400 OFF the regular price of $2600. They pump out 2-4 units daily, or something like that. And those units are available for $2600.

Interesting.

So you can choose to buy one right now for $2600, or wait 3 months and pay $2200?

Weird.

Good thing I don't have to wait, cause there's no way I'm payin $2600 for one
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting.

So you can choose to buy one right now for $2600, or wait 3 months and pay $2200?

Weird.

Good thing I don't have to wait, cause there's no way I'm payin $2600 for one

When the axe II was announced, there was only the wait list. Just because people put their name on the list doesn't mean they have to buy it, or will buy it. The ones that are for sale on fractals site sell out within minutes usually. I once added and axe II to my cart to find it was gone by the time ingot to my payment info.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Raijouta
Nice. You've come a long way since the Valveking.

yeah for sure.
Went from the Valveking 212 to a 6505 212 to an Ultra 120 head and mesa 212, to a pod HD500, to an Eleven Rack to this.

Quote by Reincaster
PSSST.

Plug the Axe into your 11R to record. DUH.

I had this thought earlier today. I have it all set up and I recorded little bits, but it's really bugging me that I can't monitor what I'm playing. Or can I? How do you have it set up?
Quote by Levi79
yeah for sure.
Went from the Valveking 212 to a 6505 212 to an Ultra 120 head and mesa 212, to a pod HD500, to an Eleven Rack to this.

I had this thought earlier today. I have it all set up and I recorded little bits, but it's really bugging me that I can't monitor what I'm playing. Or can I? How do you have it set up?

Of course you can. I just plug my monitors to the xlr outs of the 11r. How else would you set it up? Remember, the 11r is also the sound output device.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Levi79
How do you plug the Axe in then? I have the Eleven going to the monitors and the Ultras Left XLR out to the Mic in on the 11 and I don't get any monitoring.

Which DAW?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12