Hey everyone,

So I played my uncle's 1982 Fender Dan Smith Strat with an Alder body and the fastest neck I have ever played on a strat (or any guitar, also had a nitro finish on the neck). Playing his Fenders made me one buy one, or at least start looking. Which Strat has a fast neck like that one? I've tried to do research but can't find much. I would buy a Dan Smith model but I don't have that kind of money. If you could help me out that'd be great. Thanks guys

- Joe
I'd say it depends on the profile you're after. For me the fastest Fenders I've played were the HM Strat & Yngwie Malmsteen (the fastest by far for me)...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Prolly just worn in really good. Play it for years and years and the natural oils of your hand will seep into the varnish and become very smooth. Nitro lacquers are porous which helps accept those skin oils. Or if you don't get a nitro finish you can always try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI

-Tony
Impossible to say. There were several models of "Dan Smith" strats back in the '80s.

That being said, most strat necks are pretty fast, outside of some of the '50s fat necks. A lot of it will come down to the finish. An old strat with a worn nitro finish that is almost down to the wood is going to feel fast because the finish will have become so thin. My strat has (or had rather, before I refinished it) a thin oil finish so it almost felt like raw wood and it was incredibly fast and smooth.
Quote by lightningjoe88
Yeah, it's too bad we both (my uncle and I) don't know the model of it. That'd make it much easier

But do heed the above advice on this. Even if you knew the exact model & neck shape, it's very unlikely you're going to be able to buy a new guitar that feels just like a vintage one...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Email fender with the serial number and they'll tell you exactly what it is....usually within a day
Quote by richardlpalmer
But do heed the above advice on this. Even if you knew the exact model & neck shape, it's very unlikely you're going to be able to buy a new guitar that feels just like a vintage one...

this.

however it's also possible that you just liked the way he had that guitar set up and you might be able to get any guitar with a somewhat similar neck profile playing like that too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
'Dan Smith' isn't really a model of Strat, it's just something the Fender community uses to denote a particular time period for Fender when some of the less popular CBS features were changed.

In terms of neck profile, who knows. The neck of the guitar you've played probably started life with something close to either the modern C or U neck shapes, but a couple of decades of playing (not to mention the thin nitro finish) could make that seem much faster than the modern versions. That said, I personally do find the current 'C' shape to be very fast (although speed is entirely down to what suits your hands) and it's the most common of Fender's current neck shapes; you can walk into most guitar stores and try a Fender C neck for yourself. The only other necks they do at the moment are a thicker U (significantly chunkier than the C), soft V (great for thumb-over techniques but not what most people would consider 'fast') and the asymmetrical necks of th SRV and JV Strats. The Custom Shop does a few others but those are guitars with price tags in the mutliple thousands, which it sounds like is going to be out of your price range.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Dan Smith era Strats had a 12" fretboard radius which may explain why it seemed faster to you. i think htis may have had more to do with it then the neck shape.
One way to get a strat with the exact specs you want is to buy it part by part versus finding a specific Fender model. Allparts, Warmoth, USACG, and Musikraft all make great necks and bodies and are direct bolt-on replacements for Fender necks and you get to choose exactly what you want as far as shape, size, radius, etc. Take that into consideration as well.