I mainly play in Standard and DADGAD and I was wondering if I kept changing between them would it make the string snap?
I only have a single guitar so separate guitars isn't an option.
Would it be better to leave it in one tuning for a day before switching back to reduce the likelihood of snapping or am I in a lost cause situation here ?
im no expert but i cant see why. if you were tuning up higher than normal than maybe? but just going down and back doesnt seem like it should be a problem to me. if you start breaking strings all the time or something then youd want to figure out whats behind it but theyre pretty resilient and stretch over time and all that jazz. should be fine here
i should be fine imo, i'm also often changing between Eb and open G on my strat and the strings last as long as on my other guitar which is always in E (meaning up to couple of months w/ my strings and playstyle).
Quote by KorYi
i should be fine imo, i'm also often changing between Eb and open G on my strat and the strings last as long as on my other guitar which is always in E (meaning up to couple of months w/ my strings and playstyle).

how often do you go back and forth?

and thanks for the responses guys!
well that depends...

if i'm at home and have all my guitars at hand, maybe 1x-2x a week (sometimes not even that)

if i ain't home and have only my strat w/ me, then it's more like 1x-2x a day
aaaaah i still have string phobia T_T the tension in the high E and b string is scary i feel like its going to snap if i tune it back up
i wouldn't worry about it ^^ anyway, you'll get used to it after a while. Also I've never snapped a string during tuning, always during playing. As said before, unless you tune above standart tuning, you will be fine.
as long as you don't tune a string much higher, you should be fine. i tune down to open D and DADGAD and then back to standard all the time with no problems.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I, too, was wondering about this. Also, would switching back and forth have any detrimental effects to the tuning pegs?
no, your tuning pegs won't get broken if you use them to tune your guitar (;
(or technically they will after couple(tens) of years, but that's just aging process)
Quote by KorYi
no, your tuning pegs won't get broken if you use them to tune your guitar (;
(or technically they will after couple(tens) of years, but that's just aging process)
Well, a "broken" tuning machine is a different thing from a "worn" tuning machine.

You can compensate for this wear, with the gear lash adjusting screw, which is present on the key of most decent quality tuners.

Quote by SirDRG
I mainly play in Standard and DADGAD and I was wondering if I kept changing between them would it make the string snap?
I only have a single guitar so separate guitars isn't an option.
Would it be better to leave it in one tuning for a day before switching back to reduce the likelihood of snapping or am I in a lost cause situation here ?

I believe tuning up and down accelerates the rate at which strings lose their new sound, as opposed to leaving them at one tuning.

That said, breaking a string is at best a "so what", and at worst an "oops". And you really should keep spares on hand.

12 strings are notorious for popping the G octave string, which is an .009 tuned to the G above middle C (A minor 3rd above the normal E 1st string's tuning).

When you tune a 12 string down to D -D standard, (the way you're supposed to), the problem mostly disappears.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 17, 2012,
General rule of thumb is that you can tune up 3 semitones comfortably on a steel string acoustic guitar without problems. If the strings are old, however, they may be more prone to snapping if you go that high.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I change my tuning all the time. I do find it wears out the strings a little faster, affecting tone.

I've snapped a string while tuning doing this before, but this was when I was less practiced at changing strings -- I suspect it might have been due to wrapping the string poorly around the peg, more than changing the tuning.
i too use open D and DADGAD all the time and have no difficulties. like steve says, it does wear out the strings faster but i change strings more than underwear.
I think it depends on the guage of the string set you choose to use.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Well, if you tune down so to speak, it shouldn't do any harm, whereas if you tune higher then the likelihood is slightly higher. I've had plenty of instances tuning back to E from D standard and ended up breaking a string.