first off, here is what i have got for snare drums:

Gretsch custom shop hand hammered copper snare (the guy had the invoice when we made the deal he paid $1200 on that snare alone) 5.5x14

Pearl Steel snare nicer model, i think they went for $350 at the time 5.5x14

old unidentified beat up steel snare that doesn't sound half bad, but certainly nowhere near the others. 5.5x14

i have a Tama Starclassic Maple Snare that came with my set (5.5x14)

i also have the maple Ludwig snare that matches my kit. 6.5x14

i can't seem to get the sounds i want out of any of them but the copper snare.

i want that tight pop and ping with the Pearl steel snare, i don't know why i can't get it. according to my drum dial it is at 92 on the top and 95 on the snare side. i have the wires pretty tight.

my main concern is the maple snares though. i have tried everything and they just don't do it for me. i want that big pop out of them and not like that buzzy sound. the drum dial is at like 85.

how much do the snare wires themselves matter? what do more do? what do less do?

suggestions?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you like the sound of the copper snare, why don't you use it? You pretty much answered your own question in your post, in that they're all different materials.
They're vastly different materials, also it's a combination of that, the heads you use and the snare wires. Look up some Bob Gatzen videos on youtube (Make sure you're wearing some decent headphones) and watch his tutorials and tips and tricks to drum tuning.

For my maple snares I usually just crank the hell out of my reso head until it can barely go any further, have the snares fairly tight (not too tight to choke it, it varies from snare to snare), and adjust the batter side accordingly either higher or lower in pitch.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
For my cheapo maple snare (Best sounding snare ever, btw) I tuned the bottom head EXTREMELY tight, then tuned the top head about to my high tom. I tightened my snares extremely tight, then, the most important part, I used an Evans O-Ring (They do work, screw all the nay-sayers) on the top head, and put a piece of paper under one of the wide metal bits on the snares. Then I put paper under about half of the other side of the snares. Sounds like a good marching snare.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Quote by Niiko
They're vastly different materials, also it's a combination of that, the heads you use and the snare wires. Look up some Bob Gatzen videos on youtube (Make sure you're wearing some decent headphones) and watch his tutorials and tips and tricks to drum tuning.

For my maple snares I usually just crank the hell out of my reso head until it can barely go any further, have the snares fairly tight (not too tight to choke it, it varies from snare to snare), and adjust the batter side accordingly either higher or lower in pitch.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs

thanks for the link.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/