Poll: Is Life(in general) Logical?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Life(in general) Logical?
Yes, It Is Logical
69 47%
No, Life Is not Logical
44 30%
:shrug:
33 23%
Voters: 146.
Page 1 of 2
is logic a natural part of our universe?
what i mean is something along the lines of:is life logical?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Logically, nothing can exist. For something to exist, it has to have been made/formed/etc. Thus every bit of matter/energy will have had to have existed before the big bang. Thus, what made it?

If it were a celestial being like God, who made God?

Discuss.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
All I know is that Godel made logic his prison bitch.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
I prefer Pro Tools.
Blue Jays, Seahawks, Raptors, Habs, Peterborough United FC, Gold Coast Suns.
Yes. Life is logical. As we base our logic off the laws of the universe. Although there are constants in mathematics that never change, what determined the constants in the first place?

Quote by boreamor

Discuss.

Who knows? The Bible doesn't answer all the questions.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 17, 2012,
Quote by boreamor
Logically, nothing can exist. For something to exist, it has to have been made/formed/etc. Thus every bit of matter/energy will have had to have existed before the big bang. Thus, what made it?

Discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

I'd give some summary of the video, but everything from it left my head seconds after it entered it.
Quote by boreamor

Discuss.

The universe coming from nothing is a much more likely occurrence than the universe coming from something. For, you see, nothing is actually a state of very high potential and entropic energy, which then could spontaneously generate something by mitigating this unstable, high energy state. since all matter in the universe is essentially condensed energy, it wouldn't be that hard to assume that all matter in the universe (as well as energy) could be the product of a very unstable, simple event releasing its energy be inducing complexity.
tl;dr
its much more natural to get something from nothing, than it is to get nothing from something.
fuck
If it can be explained and has a describable cause, then it's logical (as far as I'm aware of the definition of "logical.") What are some examples of life/the universe being illogical?
Logic is the process of making irrefutable sense.

Of course you can say that we do not know everything there is to know about a certain subject and then you can say that logical analyses derived from our limited knowledge voids that irrefutability.

However, we know this, and so common logic is forced to accept and employ fundamental assumptions that form the basis of our understanding of things.

A highly astute individual would recognise and be acutely aware that such logic is, in a very loose sense, "disposable"

Watch what you say, now they'll be calling you a radical. A liberal. Fanatical. Criminal. Sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable. Respectable. Presentable.

A vegetable.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
it would be illogical for logic to be an unnatural part of our universe
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by RedDeath9
What are some examples of life/the universe being illogical?

women
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Ichikurosaki
logic is just a concept, like time, it doesn't exist, we just use it to rationalize what we think we know

Time does exist (4th non-spatial dimension) and is bound to space as well in something called spacetime. You learn the relativity between spacetime and an observes motion and frame of reference among other outcomes in Einstein's theory of Special Relativity. You also learn that gravity can bend that spacetime in his theory of General Relativity. So time is very real, but it is not absolute and is tied to space.

I agree however that logic in and of itself is a human concept, but universal nature often functions according to this concept. Now, that's not to say all things in nature coincide with our logical perceptions, because we wouldn't have so many mysteries in life. But our idea of logic adapts according to new information we receive about the universe. In a way, nature teaches us logic.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I believe in Determinism, so yeah, everything is logical, and if something appears illogical, it's due to ignorance of the physical events of our universe.
I think not. When saying logic I think of something that you could predict 100% it's going to happen. Life was more of a coincidence, imho.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
It's logical.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
All our maths, sciences, understanding of the universe and the very idea of logic come from the fact that our senses can identify patterns in the natural world. This means that we derive logic from the understanding of existence rather than deriving meaning of the tangible through our logic. The latter is non-nonsensical. How could you understand or state rules for something you can't experience?

Basically, if you find life illogical, your logic is flawed.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
All our maths, sciences, understanding of the universe and the very idea of logic come from the fact that our senses can identify patterns in the natural world. This means that we derive logic from the understanding of existence rather than deriving meaning of the tangible through our logic. The latter is non-nonsensical. How could you understand or state rules for something you can't experience?

Basically, if you find life illogical, your logic is flawed.

Let's all laugh at the empericist.

Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Let's all laugh at the empiricist.

*Empiricist

Any opposing view needs unsubstantiated per-suppositions.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Logic is just the collective understanding of how the world acts. Something happens once, we analyze it and store the information. It happens a hundered more times, it becomes a logical framework in which we can make predictions and compare new experiences to. This is probably the most natural thing I can think of at the moment.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by boreamor

Discuss.

Brute fact. It happens.

Life is illogical. Well, people are illogical, not life itself.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
This happened because this happened because this happened because this happened. That's logic.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by The Madcap
I believe in Determinism, so yeah, everything is logical, and if something appears illogical, it's due to ignorance of the physical events of our universe.

I put that the Universe is not logical due to the influence of quantum decay upon what would be a deterministic medium without it. Basically, that every event is indeed completely unpredictable and random, yet still follows laws. Its just impossible to predict.

I agree with you, but the random occurrence of particle decay, even though there's probability to it, seems to remove any truly logical events from the universe.

Unless I'm flawed in thinking that random probability is illogical, which I may be. But I suppose my reasoning is that since the new particles come into existence from randomness, then they're illogical.

Is randomness Logical or Illogical?
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
*Empiricist

Any opposing view needs unsubstantiated per-suppositions.

No, you are wrong.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by whalepudding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

I'd give some summary of the video, but everything from it left my head seconds after it entered it.

Damn that's interesting as hell. Cheers for this!

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Thought this was about the DAW.

I'm leaving now.
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
I read this in terms of biological life, as in "is it logical for a living being to live." And the answer is yes, we are instilled with a survival instinct because our genes design our bodies so that they can be passed on. A gene that tells a body to want to live ensures that it and other genes will get passed on.

I don't know if that's what the OP is referring to, but that's my two cents.
Quote by boreamor

Discuss.

Deep bro

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Page 1 of 2