Hi, I would like to buy a multifx, which is primarily meant to be in serial fx loop of my combo. So I'm not very interested in the amp simulation and distortion section. I'm looking for the unit with best sounding modulations, delays and reverbs.
I know there is a years lasting "fight" between users of Boss and Digitech, but please try to help me with constructive arguments. I don't think that those new Digitechs are so "plastic" that the brand's reputation is.. And it's probably not only because those new models are made of metal..

The models I'm concidering are:
Digitech RP 255 or 355 (there are so many kinds of modulations and delays + the option to asign the expression pedal to almost anything + the looper + "Lexicon" verbs)
Boss ME-50 or GT3 (there is one used GT3 in town at this moment but I'm afraid the box is too big for me )
and maybe the Zoom G3 (yeah, I'm serious ) - I quite like the option to change the order of three "stomps" like in "real life".. :-)

Is there anybody who played them and can compare those units?

Thanks, Pakub
Save up and get a TC Electronic G Major.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
G Major is completely out of my budget. Maybe the second hand Nova System. But I'd rather stay with the price by those few mentioned in my first post...
I have the zoom g3 and its really awesome for the price. Much better that my friend's me-50. I've heard good stuff about digitech though but I've never tried one. I used nova system would be awesome though.
Thanks for your G3 comment! :-) Anybody to share a word about Digitechs?
P
Last edited by Pakub at Jan 17, 2012,
I have an RP355 that has been very good for me for the last couple years, especially useful because most of the time I run direct into a PA. Also good for recording. And it has an added stomp box mode so that you can use the effects with a real amp.
Line 6 M9 or M13.

Avoid the GT3 like the plague, the modulations don't sound good on it at all.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
used tc electronics g major 1 if you can afford the new price of those you should be able to strech to a g major on the used market.
I've never been a fan of Boss's COSM distortion on the older units. The ME-25 is about the latest Boss unit and the distortion isn't bad. Boss is generally known for having good FX. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the "Lexicon" brand name on the RP series. Not that the reverbs are bad, but they aren't superior. I think the reverbs in the G3 will top them.

To make a decision you need priorities. Looper and internal drum machine a priority? Then the G3 kills the others. The G3 IMO also wins on distortion and amp models and more eccentric FX. The RP tops the G3 if a more traditional multifx is desired. I.E. integrated expression pedal and more things in the FX chain. The RP rates good across the board for FX and distortion. Plus it has a drum machine and a little too short 20 sec looper. And unlike the G3 the drums and looper don't work together on the RP.

The Boss ME-50 is like a bigger pedalbaord than the G3, but IMO the distortion is nothing to write home about. The GT-3 is good for FX, but not a best choice for distortion or amp models.
Last edited by fly135 at Jan 17, 2012,
This M9 looks cool, but again, it's price is cca twice my budget. Not to mention the need of extra expression. Maybe I should rename my post to "Lower midprice multifx..." :-)
Quote by Pakub
This M9 looks cool, but again, it's price is cca twice my budget. Not to mention the need of extra expression. Maybe I should rename my post to "Lower midprice multifx..." :-)

They go for incredibly cheap used, I've even seen M13s go for as low as $250. What is the absolute highest you can do?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Pakub

Look at the M5 then.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Pakub
G Major is completely out of my budget. Maybe the second hand Nova System. But I'd rather stay with the price by those few mentioned in my first post...

"Save up"

That would be the key thing here.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt: I would probably get those money together, but I just don't want to spend that much.

Robbgnarly: M5 is too small - I mean, just 1 effect at time... It's a pitty there is no M7 or so... :-)

souperman08: I'm not an ebay man and in local second hands they do not appear...

Fly135: I've studied the manuals of new RPs and old GTs. But from the manual I like, that in GTs you can move the order of effect units and you have separate chorus and others modulations.. In RPs there are all modulations in one "slot", so you can use just one at time.. (if I understand the manual well). But I somehow think that the quality of new Digitech would be better than 10 years old Boss, because the digital processing evolves.. Problem is that I CAN try the Digitech in shop but I CAN'T try the sounds of GT, because the guy who is selling it lives way too far...

P
So, finally, I ended up with GT8. The amp simulations and overdrive simulations are turned off. After some tweaking it sounds amazing in the fx loop of H&K Tubemeister. :-)