whenever i stretch (my fingers r shortr than most ppl) .. for exmpl d first exercises frm rock discipline.. my fingers angle very slantedly towards the bridge.. but wen petruccie does it, its perpendicular to the bridge.. i'm wondering if this is a wrong way to practice, and if it affects left hand flexibility?
I believe that as far as you minimalize tension in the wrist and forearm, your doing it right.
Finger angle is just a way to achieve 'relaxed' hand. I wouldn't compare short-fingered person's playstyle with Petrucci btw.
inb4 Apajr posts his Ebook.

The fingers should be perpendicular to the neck, (not always possible on the higher frets unless you have a n SG-like guitar)

If you start angling them you will end up using wrist movement all the time and not really working on your finger independence and strength. (really usefull for vibrato though)

Yup another bad habit.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 17, 2012,
Quote by Slashiepie
inb4 Apajr posts his Ebook.

Hah, you just know it's going to happen. Thing is he's often right, but I'm so used to filtering out the posts now.

In terms of your fingers angling - which ones angle, or is it all of them? Sometimes, when making stretches, it's not physically possible for all your fingers to be straight; in fact my little finger (at least when not at a guitar) is never straight, it points inwards quite a lot.

Your middle finger should generally be straight as your thumb should be behind the neck pretty much directly in line with it, and when the middle finger is straight the ring finger will also usually be straight. But the other two may vary depending on the stretch. However, if ALL your fingers are angled, you should probably work on that.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I think my index is also always straight, it's just my little finger that points inwards when I relax my hand. Don't know if that's entirely normal but hey.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 17, 2012,
thnx for the repliess. i'll do my best not to angle >.<;; it's really difficult.. all this time.. D:

Quote by llBlackenedll
However, if ALL your fingers are angled, you should probably work on that.

shit i got work to do. only my ring and pinky are straight naturally (in lower frets). and in 12+ frets everything is angled. ahhh. :O.
Quote by llBlackenedll
Hah, you just know it's going to happen. Thing is he's often right, but I'm so used to filtering out the posts now.

Your middle finger should generally be straight as your thumb should be behind the neck pretty much directly in line with it, and when the middle finger is straight the ring finger will also usually be straight. But the other two may vary depending on the stretch. However, if ALL your fingers are angled, you should probably work on that.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I think my index is also always straight, it's just my little finger that points inwards when I relax my hand. Don't know if that's entirely normal but hey.

haha my brain also treats it as a google add :P

shite.. +1 i totally forgot to mention that! Indeed the pinky can´t always remain non angled when stretching and depending on the hand it might never be completely straight.

Having a straight index is however a perfectly good habit and it is worth training.
It means you can play scales or anything you want with the index barring a whole fret while your other 3 fingers do whatever you want, it rocks :P
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 18, 2012,