So, my girlfriend and I are going to visit London in february. Staying sunday evening to friday morning. (the flights are wierd. Would have preferred the other way around).

First off, what's the easiest (read: cheapest) way to get from Heathrow to Hammersmith station?

Second; We are probably going to walk a lot. What kind of travel card/tickets would be most economical?

Third; what do you recommend that we do/see? Apart from the classic tourist stuff.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Take the tube service straight from Heathrow to Hammersmith. Straight route on (iirc) the Picadilly line, only a few stops.
If you can, get an Oystercard and take the tube any distance you don't want to walk. It's quick, easy, very hard to get wrong/lost, and there's a train every 3 or 4 minutes. The cards just work like a pay as you go service. You top them up with a certain amount, and scan them at each stop on the ticket barriers, and it'll calculate your cost and deduct it by itself. You'd be hard pushed to spend more than £10 a day with it.

As for things to do/see, al the tourist stuff Go to Westminster and just walk around on the river. There's loads around there. The Eye, Aquarium, Big Ben tower, River tours, Tower of London, London Dungeon.
You could get the Bakerloo line to Baker Street and see the Sherlock Holmes museum (if that interests you).

I'll let the London natives say anything else, I've never lived there.
Oh, great. Thanks a lot! Any idea how long it would take from Heathrow to Hammersmith? The time tables don't make sense.

Splendid. Lots of positive adjectives! Yay!
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jan 17, 2012,
There's lots of free museums and/or art galleries, take advantage of them. The National Galleries, Victoria and Albert, etc. I would also heartily recommend the British Library and the Tate Britain (or Tate Modern, depending on your preference.)

When I was in London, I loved walking along the Thames at night, I also heartily enjoyed the Portobello Market and St. James' Park... just do some research and you will find an amazing amount of things to do that could end up costing little to nothing.
Tube it to the sort of centralised areas, then walk. I've been to London plenty of times so i know how to get to most places by foot, and the shorter journeys tend to be quicker than fighting your way down to a platform and taking the tube.
I'd estimate around 20-25 minutes or so, but then it depends on the amount of passengers getting on or off really. Once you've done a couple of journeys you get a feel for how long it takes between stops.

EDIT: Oh, shit I forgot in my first post; get yourself down to Camden and its Market. Great atmosphere and local stalls, along with high street shopping.
Last edited by SkepsisMetal at Jan 17, 2012,
Definitely check out Camden Market, and just this area is really cool, lots of bars and clubs and cool music venues. Starting at Trafalgar Square and just walking is usually fun.
Assuming you're a guitar player you should definitely visit Denmark Street. It's at the top of Charing Cross Road, and is near Trafalgar Square, a very famous Tourist Attraction.
^ I'll do that.

Thanks everybody!
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Denmark all the way man! The BEST street in the world.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
There's a little street full of little guitar (some stocking exclusively vintage stuff) somewhere, I think it's just of Oxford street but I could be wrong because I've not been to London in a while.
OUT OF ORDER