Hi guys, i've searched the internet through and through i can't find much in the way of guidence when it comes to mastering. so i was wondering if anyone could help me out?

currently i'm using wavelab to master my wavs. i start with 7 parametric EQ and adjust accordingly to what i think sounds good. and then i use the vst dynamic compressor plugin that comes with wavelab (i've heard alot of people use linMB too?), but this is where i get pretty stuck.
i can't manage get near the commercial volume without it distorting, or overly compression?
maybe im just not experienced enough with compressors or limiters. here's a link to a track i struggled to master a few days ago. any guidelines would be great,
http://soundcloud.com/owen-buckley/show-me-your-love-may-day

thanks for your time!
owen
Basically, you want to EQ, compress and limit - usually in that order.

Compressing three times in moderation will yield better results than hammering the sh!t out of something once.

The end quality of your master will be hugely dependent upon the final mix and the room and the monitors you are using.

There are no rules - just what your ears tell you to do.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Basically, you want to EQ, compress and limit - usually in that order.

Compressing three times in moderation will yield better results than hammering the sh!t out of something once.

The end quality of your master will be hugely dependent upon the final mix and the room and the monitors you are using.

There are no rules - just what your ears tell you to do.

CT

Great advice!

A lot of people tend to think that using compressors are a one and done type of deal, just slap a plug-in on it and be done, that's just inexperience coming into play. Layering compressors is a much better idea, i.e, slight compression during tracking, a little more compression during mixing, and then a final compressor during the mastering phase.
.... or even three compressors in your VST effects rack.

I tend not to compress during tracking, but I do in mixing.

But when people want their stuff "mastered" they have a tendency to smash the crap out of their mix with one compressor set on "stun" and you get that pumping effect, which can be awfully hard to get rid of without sacrificing the amount of compression.

Using two or three on more moderate settings works better.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks alot for the adivce and the quick responses guys! is there any sort of video that i use as a guideline? because i feel like i'm just stabbing at the dark at the minute! i tried to do a master the other night using cubase and the tls maximiser, and it was a good attempt but it just wasn't...great? ya know?

thanks again guys!