for my 2 cents i started off mixing on a couple different sets of "decent/good" home and pc speaker setups and the one thats translated best so far has been my mackie nfm's.
i swear to god people will find a conspiracy about ANYTHING. studio monitors?! this world is on its arse.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
I read through that earlier as well.

I actually agree to him, to a certain extent. If you have a pair of nice stereo speakers, then I agree, they might actually be a great mixing tool, the only problem I have with mixing on stereo speakers is that, unless you shop around for a specific set, the EQ on those speakers can be WIDELY different. At least studio monitors attempt to stay fairly flat.

The reason I would still choose studio monitors, though, is so that I can hear the reverb trails and compression more easily. Stereo speakers are quite a bit more difficult to hear things like this, until you start getting into higher end ones, at which point, you'll be spending almost an equal amount on either monitors or speakers.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by --ESTRANGED--
i swear to god people will find a conspiracy about ANYTHING. studio monitors?! this world is on its arse.

Lol, did you even read the article? Its not about conspiracy theories...

Anyways, I agree with his article for the most part. I mean, what do most people listen to music on? iPod headphones, $20 Skullcandys, cheap laptop speakers, car stereos (which range anywhere from complete shit to way overpriced) & various other real world speakers. I couldn't think of anyone who listens to music on studio monitors.

Recently, we've been mixing on our Mackie PA speakers. Partly because its easier for the band to hear but mainly because at the moment, its either those or a pair of M-Audio AV30s which are pretty much bookshelf speakers. Last mix we did came out pretty good. I mean, not perfect but considering I'm in a garage, recording with crappy monitors and not looking for overproduced studio sound, it came out well.

I wouldn't take true studio monitors out of the equation but I'd probably have a pair of good home speakers in the studio too.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I've done 90% of my mixing over the last year on a pair of in-ear phones that came free with my HTC phone. The only real problems I had were a severe lack of bass response (meaning now I listen back over my older mixes with better phones, they are very bass heavy) and one started crackling under loud noises. Aside from that my music turned out fine.
From my experience over the past few years, I will concede that what you use to mix on is not as important as what you use to mix IN. That is, the room.

My good monitors were NOT giving me good mixes. The problem was my room... and then.... my other room.

And then when I treated that other room, put my speakers on stands that decoupled them from the floor or the desk, and fretted and fretted over proper placement... it made all the difference in the world.

That said, I would still be reluctant to try to mix on regular stereo speakers in my new room.

Of course, I would rather do that than mix on stereo speakers in an inadequate room.

The problem with that particular discussion is that we don't know anything about any of these people. Their experience and reputation is a barometer of their credibility. For all I know, they could all be a bunch of 15 year old kids with bedroom studios that double as gaming corners.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Since he is comparing to HS-50's, I'm not at all surprised that he came to that conclusion. They are rather harsh sounding monitors and do not do well at all in the low end. I'm sure just having the fuller range reproduced in the "real world" speakers made everything much more pleasant to listen to from the beginning. I'm sure that if that mix was played back through crappy earbuds or through speakers that don't have the pumped up bass he wouldn't be very happy with how it sounded. That's the point of monitors, making mixes translate to the largest variety of playback systems possible.
Quote by sandyman323
Since he is comparing to HS-50's, I'm not at all surprised that he came to that conclusion. They are rather harsh sounding monitors and do not do well at all in the low end. I'm sure just having the fuller range reproduced in the "real world" speakers made everything much more pleasant to listen to from the beginning. I'm sure that if that mix was played back through crappy earbuds or through speakers that don't have the pumped up bass he wouldn't be very happy with how it sounded. That's the point of monitors, making mixes translate to the largest variety of playback systems possible.

That's another thing I was thinking, actually. HS-50s can actually work very well for certain things, but when I read the article this article was linked from, the author promised that this guy who wrote it had a ton of high end equipment, some of which not even high end studios have. When I read that he's mixing on HS-50s and cheap KRKs, I was a bit confused.

No offense to HS-50s and KRKs, but they simply can't hold a candle to a pair of nicer monitors out there, especially ones with a bigger speaker. I would know, I used to own KRK Rokit 5s and upgraded to M-Audio DSM3s after debating between them an Adam A7s for a while. There's no comparison between the speakers he's using and the "studio quality" speakers most people think of when they think of reference monitors.

Not to say his conclusion doesn't hold a lot of value, it very well may work for a lot of people, but to compare the cheap monitors he's mixing on, to a set of (what I assume were) higher end JVC hifi speakers at the time, is a bit unfair.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com