Been looking into achieving more of an 80s sound with my strat and have considered options from changing guitars to pickups.

One thing I'm not too sure about is the humbucking pickups designed to fit into sincle-coil guitars such as the dimarzios, hot rails etc.

I was wondering if pickups like these would help me achieve a sound similar to the ones in the video below if they were to be installed into my strat or if i should just scrap the idea all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVnTUN1Fn1g

Do you think swapping the pickups for humbuckers would be a good idea for this? Suggestions appreciated.
Last edited by 05t16 at Jan 17, 2012,
I'm scarred for life after watching that.

But yes, I have a seymour duncan hot rails in my strat's bridge and you can rip it. It's a pretty hot pick up. Great for harmonics, tapping, etc. I'll probably be replacing the neck Texas Special with either a cool rails or vintage rails.
Quote by mitchrosko
I'm scarred for life after watching that.

But yes, I have a seymour duncan hot rails in my strat's bridge and you can rip it. It's a pretty hot pick up. Great for harmonics, tapping, etc. I'll probably be replacing the neck Texas Special with either a cool rails or vintage rails.

haha, steel panther are talented, if they weren't a parody band they'd be putting metal back in the charts no doubt.

sounds good, any footage?

more advice welcomed
The Dimarzio single sized humbuckers are really good. Much like mitchrosko said about the Hot Rails (same principle afterall). Drop a Pro Track in the neck and a Super Distortion S in the bridge (middle could be a Fast Track 1 or something a bit less meaty) and you would be pretty sorted.

Of course it does depend quite highly on your amp...
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
lol at the smoking guitar during the solo

but yeah i installed some hot rails in my freinds strat ad they are pretty hot pick ups great for leads and solos and such
Quote by 05t16
haha, steel panther are talented, if they weren't a parody band they'd be putting metal back in the charts no doubt.

sounds good, any footage?

more advice welcomed

no footage yet. thinking I'm going to wait until I install the vints or the cool rails since there's not much for either of them on youtube.
Oh god that video is awesome. What's even more awesome is the fact that I know all about the Roche xCELLIGENCE assay.

But that is a very generic sounding '80s tone. Yes, putting Hot Rails or something of the like will get you something similar to that sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 17, 2012,
whack a full size humbucker in there if you can

aside from that, hot rod marshall type tube amp + a boost will get you tone like that

if anything a strat (or superstrat) with a bridge humbucker is basically exactly what you want for that type of tone. INb4 "strats are wrong with humbuckers LOL"
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depending on what you've got under your stratch plate, if you have holes cut for single coils already cut or; A big space under your stratch plate, is the diffrence between filling in the old single coil holes with new wood before cutting out humbucker sized ones and having no wood behind the stratch plate.
It's all doable, the quaility of the wood of the guitar and the fret board... And the truss rod, bridge, all effect the tone.

The Pots might also matter, because, humbuckers require 500k pots opose to the 250k pots for the single coils.

I have a strat I converted into humbuckers from single coils, I was lucky, there was no wood behind my scratch plate BUT, the guitar I had that done to, the new bridge and pickups are worth more than the guitar so, I really did pimp out an old cheap strat.
Love it's unique tone though thanks to it's cheap wood and my pickup selection and the toggle switch. I have 3 knobs, like it's always had, but instead of 1 vol and 2 tone and a selector switch, I went for 2 vol and 1 tone and a toggle switch... I'm sure you're well aware that, when you rebuild a guitar (or like me, have it done for you by a pro) then, you can have whatever you want put on.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 17, 2012,
Quote by Brainpolice2
The cliche is to have a "superstrat" with a humbucker in the bridge.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I have a super strat that I had made for me from an old regular strat.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You want a nice PAF humbucker in there, not a humbucking single coil, or high output humbucker.

You can find out if you can put a humbucker in the bridge of your strat by taking the pickguard off and seeing what the routing looks like.

a high output bucker will work fine. granted something pafy in output is better if you're trying to nail van halen. but if you just want that kind of 80s high gain tone, as many players used high output buckers as low. you just basically need a humbucker.

agreed that humbucking single coils probably won't do it as well, though.

and yeah just take off teh scratchplate to see how much of a job it'll be. if you have to do a hatchet job on your guitar, you might decide a humbucking single coil is a better idea. but if it's already routed for a humbucker then the humbucker route is better, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Most 80s players used things like Duncan JBs and Dimarzio Super Distortions to push their amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
a high output bucker will work fine. granted something pafy in output is better if you're trying to nail van halen. but if you just want that kind of 80s high gain tone, as many players used high output buckers as low. you just basically need a humbucker.

agreed that humbucking single coils probably won't do it as well, though.

and yeah just take off teh scratchplate to see how much of a job it'll be. if you have to do a hatchet job on your guitar, you might decide a humbucking single coil is a better idea. but if it's already routed for a humbucker then the humbucker route is better, if you ask me.

I heard somewhere that most of the 80's hair metal stuff was done using Hot Vintage PAF style pickups.
nah i think most of it was higher output stuff like andrew said ^^

but yeah van halen, that's paf/hot paf
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yup, only EVH was the big PAF user in that scene I think. Otherwise, it was all about JBs and Dimarzio SDs.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?