So here's my story, some 10 years ago, I bought my first guitar. I knew nothing about them back then so I just bought whatever was available for my budget. I got a skylark for about 150$ and a amp I can't even remember the brand for another 100$. I'm from Morocco and there aren't a lot of affordable models around here.
They both turned out to be crap. I couldn't get it to sound good on the amp, there was a lot of buzzing and the overdrive channel had way too much noise and static. I put up with it for some months then I just stopped playing it, until I gave them both away to a friend.

Fast forward to this day. I'm in France for some months on a work assignment, I thought maybe I could finally buy a decent guitar for a reasonable price. I set myself a 400€ budget (about 500$) for guitar, amp and whatever else I might need, and after reading reviews and looking things up I settled on an epi G-400 and MG15FX duo and some goodies from woodbrass.com

In hindsight I realize I should have asked about it in here before taking the jump, but anyways here we are. So what do you think? Could I have gotten better (brand new) gear for that kind of money?

Forgot to add, style wise I like Metallica, Motörhead, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Accept ...
The G400 is a good guitar but you got ripped off buying the shitty amp.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Guitar ok, amp not so much.

But if YOU are happy with it, that's all that really matters.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You did alright. Obviously a music store is going to be more costly than buying used or finding some awesome deal in the local classifieds.

That being said, you got a great guitar and an amp that is probably worlds better than your first one! And while some people aren't a fan of the Marshall MG series, this amp will give you someplace to start -- and most likely it'll sound great and be fun to play through. So, don't worry about it.

I'm glad you found something you liked!

N.B. I live in the USA so don't really have my finger on what those things sell for abroad...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
It's a nice deal. The Epiphone will serve you well, even in a few years and the marshall is a good amp for starters. It's not the best amp out there, but in the end, no one starts out with a full tube halfstack.
i have the exact same guitar and very happy with it, don't know about the amp...