I just bought a gretsch g 5120 and I can't get a good gain sound out of it
My band is an Indy rock band I need a good gain sound .
Nothing to heavy but when I play on it now it sounds muddy
I was wondering if anyone knows a good pick up I could put in the
Neck , the bridge has the perfect clean sound I need so I don't wanna change that
Or of there's a tech tip I can use to generate the proper gain I need with
The gretsch humbukker that is in there
What amp are we talking?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Right now I'm running through an ibanez 150 watt tone blaster combo , I tried it on several different half stacks at the shop and it still sounded muddy
I would suggest trying a treble booster, I've got an EHX Screaming Bird and it's really good for trimming some of the mud from your tone
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
the standard pickups in the 5120's are very muddy, changing the pickups to TV Jones models (expensive but well worth it) will really open that guitar up.

Some TV Jones Classics will work well. and please whatever you do, dont put any regular humbuckers (ie seymour duncan / dimarzio's) in it.

Also kind of wondering why you are using the neck pickup for gain and the bridge for clean sounds when typically in rock its the other way round