Page 1 of 3
Right, here's the lowdown. Very haphazardly organised, me and a friend managed to cobble together a few pennies and booked return flights to America for a 6 week trip.

The reason I say haphazardly organised is because, well, we haven't really organised anything at all (yet alone raised the dollar required for such an endeavour!).

Here's the loose plan, basically strung together by where we reckon we can pull in some favours and blag some free accommodation:

Fly to New York on March 4th. Stay for a week with a girl I sort of know who lives there.

Rent a car and drive to Chicago. Set aside 10 days for this. Will probably be able to crash with some guy I met once. Drop the car off when we get there.

Get the train down to New Orleans where we will stay for about 5 nights. No idea where we will sleep.

Then basically a direct route to San Francisco where our return flight is booked from. Hitting these points of interest:

Fly back on 16th April. How does this sound to you lovely people in the know?

Anything we have missed you recommend? Does it sound feasible? The main grey area is the 10 day road trip to Chicago; where should we sleep? Car? Tent? Motel? Anything to really see there?

Anyone in these general areas with a spare sofa free? (I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek but would not be adverse to meeting some of you Pit-dwellers and, of course, saving money on accommodation!).

Anyway, let us know what you reckon!

EDIT: Also, we are going to buy a tent when we get there. Apparently you Yanks have free campsites? Recommended? Seems the most financially viable option!
          Last edited by fender_696 at Jan 17, 2012,
          Bring a gun or two. They are handy over there.
          sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
          Quote by JohnnyGenzale
          Bring a gun or two. They are handy over there.
          Ah dear.... You just had to didn't you?

Quote by fender_696
          Ah dear.... You just had to didn't you?

Yes.
          Why would anyone want to go to Chicago?
          Quote by UntilISleep
          You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
          You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
          You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
          Quote by izbbass
          Free accommodation.

I can't emphasise how skint we are.
          Your going to leave America all fat and greasy.....
          Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
          You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
          Quote by Trizek
          Your going to leave America all fat and greasy.....

And depending on where goes he's going to come back right-wing.
          looked at the alternative of coachsurfing? There's a site for it.
          Where are you flying in from?

Take it from personal experience that U.S. customs is a nightmare and they will want to know addresses of where you are living, how much money you have on you and how you are planning on supporting your stay, possibly what you do for a living, whether you've been to the U.S. before.

I am actually emigrating to the U.S. from Scotland next Thursday after a year and a half of paperwork and stress but i've flown in and out of Chicago O'Hare a few times and it's like an interogation.

Just make sure you have as much of you itinerary sorted before hand if you wan't a smooth trip.

and don't accept candy from strangers.

Edit: as for your road trip from NY to Chicago, 10 days is more than enough time, my wife and i drove from Chicago to Augusta, GA in like a day and a half. a couple of days from NY to Il should be plenty.
          Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
          they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
          I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
          Last edited by alkalineweeman at Jan 17, 2012,
          Quote by Vitor_vdp
          So you plan to stay with a girl you sort of know, and then a guy you met once? This sounds like it's going to end up really well.

I think it's awesome.

Good luck TS, can't help you with anything you don't already know man. So have fun.
          That's the thing about America. From my general point of view, we are literally bombarded with American culture pretty much constantly.

A lot of the films and TV I watch, along with the music I listen to, in particular, are American.

One of my favourite films? The Godfather. In fact, it doesn't get much better than 70's Hollywood in my humble opinion, with Nicholson, Pacino, De Niro and Hoffman on top form.

One of my favourite musical artists? Bob Dylan.

American culture, from its politics to its landscape to its folklore, is ingrained within a lot of what I do, and it's easy to see Youtube clips of Fox News and lambast and perceive the entire nation as such, but that would be ridiculous. It would be like tarring all of Europe with the same brush.

Anyway, I am taking my suit to wear in New York and Vegas (Frank Sinatra, eat your heart out), and my Levis denim jacket for the south (same to you Cash).

EDIT:
          Quote by JohnnyGenzale
          looked at the alternative of coachsurfing? There's a site for it.

Yup. Used it a fair amount when I was living in Italy. A great site.

EDIT 2:
          Quote by Vitor_vdp
          So you plan to stay with a girl you sort of know, and then a guy you met once? This sounds like it's going to end up really well.
          Pah, tell that to Spirited Away's Sen; she had a blast and didn't know anyone to begin with!
          Last edited by fender_696 at Jan 17, 2012,
          Quote by fender_696
          . Apparently you Yanks have free campsites? Recommended? Seems the most financially viable option!

Wtf? People still say "yanks" ? How 1800's

Anyways. I recommend the ones on the outskirts of Vegas and San Francisco. Preferably the ones that get you raped by homeless people. (Beware of homosexual hobos) Them homeless would enjoy some foreign buttocks.
          Last edited by Phazon at Jan 17, 2012,
          Quote by Phazon
          Wtf? People still say "yanks" ? How 1800's

What other words are there?
          If you detour to Staten Island from NYC:

Our famous guitar shop, Mandolin Brothers - http://mandoweb.com/

And of course one of the most famous pizza places around - www.deninos.com/

The 44 bus goes to Denino's and the 48 bus goes to Mandolin' bros
          Last edited by xHellbound at Jan 17, 2012,
          Visit more of the East Coast; Boston, Washington D.C, The Carolina's, Florida, and Cincinnati, Ohio haha
          Crue Forever!!

Quote by Eric 666
          Your ass itches soooo much after you shave em...my God, I've TRIED, and its like...impossible to take them off completely.
          Thanks for the advice guys!

Actually, that's a point. Is there anything we should particularly try to avoid (I have made a note of homosexual hobos in my "To Avoid List")?

But seriously, any etiquette to be aware of? Situations two stunningly handsome English boys might find themselves in?
          Quote by fender_696

Actually, that's a point. Is there anything we should particularly try to avoid (I have made a note of homosexual hobos in my "To Avoid List")?

But seriously, any etiquette to be aware of? Situations two stunningly handsome English boys might find themselves in?

Don't be mexican.
          now what could go wrong with a plan like that...

take a good look, this is you, 5th of march.

serious now, good luck. a journey like that sounds like massive fun
          Quote by psyks
          You are filthy.
          Quote by fender_696

Remember the tipping culture in the states that we don't have here.

Waitresses/bar staff etc get pretty pissy when you don't leave a tip. And when i say bar staff i mean a tip after every drink unless you wan't your sh*t watered down like hell.

Also remember tax is added after your goods are rung up out there so if the shelf says it costs $2.99 for example you'll pay more than that at the check out. Took me ages to get used to that.

and don't be affraid at how friendly people are compared to the UK, we're just a bunch of miserable c*nts.

Quote by CliffIsAngry
          I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
          Last edited by alkalineweeman at Jan 17, 2012,
          Quote by WCPhils
          You are going to be doing a LOT of driving.

This. It seems like many Europeans don't realize how big of a country we are, considering that the lower 48 contain roughly 3/4 the land area of Europe in it's entirety. Texas alone is bigger than any country entirely in Europe (not Russia, Kazakhstan, or Turkey), and 11 states are larger than the UK. And most of those large states are more or less miles and miles of emptiness. You can drive for hours in some places without seeing any signs of humans or anything man-made other than the road and the power lines.

Quote by fender_696
          Free accommodation.

I can't emphasise how skint we are.

And if that falls through, which, from the OP sounds like it is certainly possible, you'll be without a place to stay in Chicago.
          There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
          Quote by izbbass
          Get out of UG. Forever.

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
          I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
          Quote by lolmnt
          First you put your pants on your head.
          Second you dance.
          Third you wipe off all the pussy.
          I don't know how big they are down in the states but why don't you just stay in hostels? And yea customs can be a real bitch you're going to want to have a game plan laid out for them at the airport. I live in Canada which is supposed to be on good terms with the US and they still give you the 20 questions bullshit coming across the border.
          And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
          Not much tips, but if you're going to san fransico say hello to the 49ers to me. Also, in America the food is going to suck, but you're from the UK so you're used to that.
          ████████████████████████████
          ███████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████
          ██████████████████████████
          Quote by Kensai
          Not much tips, but if you're going to san fransico say hello to the 49ers to me. Also, in America the food is going to suck, but you're from the UK so you're used to that.

Heeeey, i take exeption to that! Our food is WAAAY more sucky.

Quote by CliffIsAngry
          Quote by theogonia777
          And if that falls through, which, from the OP sounds like it is certainly possible, you'll be without a place to stay in Chicago.
          Cross that bridge when we come to it.

So... Chicago doesn't appear to be held in very high esteem round these parts?
          You're so poor you cant even afford to pay a visit!
          Quote by yellowfrizbee
          What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
          Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
          Quote by fender_696
          Cross that bridge when we come to it.

So... Chicago doesn't appear to be held in very high esteem round these parts?

I love Chicago, it's wifeys home town and by far my favourite U.S. city so far.

Quote by CliffIsAngry
          Chicago is my favorite place ever. I only got to spend one day in the city, but had an enormous amount of fun in the things I did.
          daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
          I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
          Quote by lolmnt
          First you put your pants on your head.
          Second you dance.
          Third you wipe off all the pussy.
          Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
          Wait, OP is gonna drive from New Orleans to San Francisco?

Have fun with that.

No he's flying.
          Quote by UntilISleep
          You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
          You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
          You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
          Quote by Dirge Humani
          Just so you know, the drive from New York to Chicago by itself is about 24 hours.

lol no it's not. ive driven from Toronto to West Palm Beach, Florida in just under 26 hours.
          Quote by yellowfrizbee
          What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
          Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
          Just remember your common street smarts that you'd use anywhere like "Stay away from dark alleys in big cities at 2am" etc. The taxation and tip thing is important. Tips should be 15% gratuity and that's only in restaurants or bars, not gas stations or fast food. Bring around $20-30 in change in case you run into a toll road and remember to bring good directions and don't be afraid to ask people if you get lost, because like previously stated, a lot of states are just a whole lotta emptiness. Also remember that Americans drive on the right side of the road. I recommend you stay away from Florida and the Southern states (too many conservatives, redneckss, and it's way too humid most of the year) and visit Los Angeles and Boston. Enjoy your stay!
          Quote by element4433
          Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
          If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
          Quote by Dirge Humani
          Oh right. Its 12 hours by car. 24 by train. Whoops.

I live in northeast Ohio and it takes 24 hours to get to Orlando. Toronto is 5 hours north. seemslegit.jpg
          Quote by element4433
          Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
          If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
          I really do like Chicago, but driving there from NYC will only really take two days (or one if you can beast through 14 straight hours of driving), and I feel like spending a whole week there would be a bit of a waste. If I were doing this sort of trip, I'd want to see as many different things as possible. Provided you can get the accommodations, I might consider instead doing NYC to Buffalo, then Buffalo to Pittsburgh, then Pittsburgh to Chicago. Spend a day or two at each city to check out the cool shit there, then move on to the next.

Buffalo is truly a shitty city, but it's my hometown so I'm obligated to recommend it. At the very least, a day for Niagara Falls and Duff's or Anchor Bar wings could be worthwhile. Or the Albright Knox art gallery, if you're into that sort of thing.

Pittsburgh at least has the Carnegie Museums, which are really fantastic if you're the sort of person who thinks going to a museum is a good time.

Or do something like Philadelphia and Washington DC instead of Buffalo. Or go North from Buffalo to Toronto, and hit Detroit on the way down to Chicago. Or skip over whatever the **** cities you want. I just think that if you're going all out like this, you should do as much as physically possible. And I think that spending an entire day just driving is terrible, so splitting parts of the trip into a bunch of 4-8 hour legs with different things to do at every stop could help keep you sane.
          There will probably be a signature here at some point.
          Last edited by Adam...? at Jan 17, 2012,
          Page 1 of 3