So I'm looking to buy a decent superstrat type guitar that will last me a long time. It should have 24 frets, bridge and neck humbuckers (HSH also possible), and an alder body. I'm also looking for extreme VERSATILITY -- I play 80s rock and metal, but also classic rock, jazz, grunge, and a bit of thrash (strictly 80s of course).

I believe I have played enough basswood-bodied Ibanez guitars to determine that I hate basswood as a tone wood. So please do not recommend an Ibanez unless it's alder.

My budget is $1300 to $1500, MAYBE a bit more.

Any suggetions?
go for an ESP (not ltd) or Jackson

Esp for smaller hands (42mm nut)
Jackson... (43mm nut)

not much difference

**note: few companies offer HSH configurations...

Consider the entire HORIZON LINE:
http://espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/horizon.html

or M-ii Line
http://espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/m.html

As for jackson:
the entire series.... (not the X series, they're basswood)

all 1000-1500 range

you can consider charvel for versatility but if you want maximum versatility:
http://espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/horizon-nt2.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-sls3-soloist-electric-guitar

~~~

Oh yea... do you prefer trem or hardtail?
Fretboard material?
neck joint?
hardware?
Pickups?
???
Quote by solidrane
go for an ESP (not ltd) or Jackson

Esp for smaller hands (42mm nut)
Jackson... (43mm nut)

not much difference

**note: few companies offer HSH configurations...

Consider the entire HORIZON LINE:
http://espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/horizon.html

or M-ii Line
http://espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/m.html

As for jackson:
the entire series.... (not the X series, they're basswood)

all 1000-1500 range

you can consider charvel for versatility but if you want maximum versatility:
http://espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/horizon-nt2.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-sls3-soloist-electric-guitar

~~~

Oh yea... do you prefer trem or hardtail?
Fretboard material?
neck joint?
hardware?
Pickups?

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I'll take a look.

A OFR trem would be nice, but if not I can replace a licenced one with an original.
Rosewood, should be fine, but I'll consider others.
neck-thru
Pickups don't matter, as I will be switching em out with BKPs anyway...
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
Many thanks for all the suggestions, I'll take a look.

A OFR trem would be nice, but if not I can replace a licenced one with an original.
Rosewood, should be fine, but I'll consider others.
neck-thru
Pickups don't matter, as I will be switching em out with BKPs anyway...

i'd be trying to get an OFR/Gotoh/Schaller at your budget. you're kinda getting ripped at that budget if you don't get one. also it's not always a straightforward swap.

f you want neck-thru i'm guessing jackson or esp will be pretty high up the list (at that budget).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd be trying to get an OFR/Gotoh/Schaller at your budget. you're kinda getting ripped at that budget if you don't get one. also it's not always a straightforward swap.

f you want neck-thru i'm guessing jackson or esp will be pretty high up the list (at that budget).

If its an OFR replacing a licensed Floyd, I would assume it is a pretty straightforward swap, but I could be wrong. But I certainly would be getting ripped!

Neck-thru isn't a major concern, not as much of a concern as an alder body..
It's a shame the Emppu Vuorinen signature ESP Horizon is so hard to get and has such an ugly decal on it, because spec-wise it's exactly what you're asking for. Neck-through, alder body wings and carved top (maple centre, obviously), OFR and a really versatile HSH set up (SD Custom/Hot Rails/Jazz - replacing the Hot Rails would be a good idea but the Custom and Jazz really are about as versatile as you can get and perfect for the style sof music you listed).
The look will probably put you off and even if that doens't it could be very hard to find one (let alone at a reasonable price), but it might be worth keeping in mind in case you happen to come across one because spec-wise it's bang-on.

I would suggest you rethink your wood choices. If you want neck-through construction then the body wood doesn't matter much; the neck wood becomes what defines the tone almost entirely. A maple & ebony neck-through with basswood wings sounds 99.99% the same as a maple & ebony neck-through with mahogany wings, or alder, ash - whatever you care to mention. Also it does strike me as odd that you're willing to take different fretboard woods but have ruled out a body wood. The fretboard, on any guitar, effects the tone as much as the body wood does (if not more, in some cases).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It's a shame the Emppu Vuorinen signature ESP Horizon is so hard to get and has such an ugly decal on it, because spec-wise it's exactly what you're asking for. Neck-through, alder body wings and carved top (maple centre, obviously), OFR and a really versatile HSH set up (SD Custom/Hot Rails/Jazz - replacing the Hot Rails would be a good idea but the Custom and Jazz really are about as versatile as you can get and perfect for the style sof music you listed).
The look will probably put you off and even if that doens't it could be very hard to find one (let alone at a reasonable price), but it might be worth keeping in mind in case you happen to come across one because spec-wise it's bang-on.

I would suggest you rethink your wood choices. If you want neck-through construction then the body wood doesn't matter much; the neck wood becomes what defines the tone almost entirely. A maple & ebony neck-through with basswood wings sounds 99.99% the same as a maple & ebony neck-through with mahogany wings, or alder, ash - whatever you care to mention. Also it does strike me as odd that you're willing to take different fretboard woods but have ruled out a body wood. The fretboard, on any guitar, effects the tone as much as the body wood does (if not more, in some cases).

That is quite an ugly decal lol, but even if I went past that, I'd never be able to find one.

I'm not set on neck-through construction, and I'm not set on a fretboard wood. If what you're saying about the neck-thru is true, where would I find a neck-thru with basswood wings to test out? Are the high end Ibbys neck-thru? If so, which ones?

I'll have to try some alder neck-thrus vs mahogany neck-thrus at the store then. Thanks for the info!!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512162

Sounds pretty much like what you're wanting since you're swapping out pickups, and I'm sure the seller could work out Canadian shipping
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 17, 2012,
Charvel model 6 is a maple neck through with basswood wings. The new jackson X series soloist is also a basswood body. The charvel has a lot of versatility though because of individual on off pickup switches and a mid boost, japanese made, considered to be very very high quality. Not expensive either, get to save a lot of that money and then buy other stuff, like drugs.

Oh, it's not carved top, but most Jacksons/ Charvels aren't.
why not look for a used PRS CU24? ESP Horizon and Jackson Soloist are very solid choices.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92

Yeah I've noticed that the soloist seems to fit my needs the best, but is the Jackson licensed trem any good? Does it last a long time?

I only ask because the Edge III trem on my basswood RG decided to stop holding tune after a month, even with a proper setup....
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
Yeah I've noticed that the soloist seems to fit my needs the best, but is the Jackson licensed trem any good? Does it last a long time?

I only ask because the Edge III trem on my basswood RG decided to stop holding tune after a month, even with a proper setup....

That guitar doesn't have a licensed trem. It's an FRT-X000. Basically the best Floyd Rose you can get without it actually being an OFR. And to my knowledge, the only difference between the OFR and the FRT is that they OFR is made in Germany and the FRT is made in Korea. They both use the same metals and everything.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sounds like you've described a Jem 7VWH... (the only Jem7 that's alder i believe)
not sure what kind of condition you'd get for $1300-1500, but look on jemsite classifieds
What amp do you have?

As for OP's question, I have a PRS Custom 24 and so far its been able to handle any style I've thrown at it i.e rock, country, jazz, metal a la racer x, paul gilbert, satriani, vai.. But yeah, basically what everyone else has said. Horizons are supposed to be great guitars.
Last edited by anonimau5 at Jan 18, 2012,
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere

though not a licensed trem, jacksons licenced trems are probably some of the best. i dont even feel the need to swap the one out of my dk2m....

but when your playing around in your price range, your not going to get a LFR
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Robbgnarly
why not look for a used PRS CU24? ESP Horizon and Jackson Soloist are very solid choices.

I've looked for one but people don't seem to ever sell their PRS, and I think I know the reason for that
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
I've looked for one but people don't seem to ever sell their PRS, and I think I know the reason for that

You can also look for the discontinued PRS CE24. It is a bolt-on neck, but it is set really far into the body. Excelent guitars and you can find them for ~$1000ish used. They are basicaly the CU24 with a bolt-on maple neck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by anonimau5
What amp do you have?

As for OP's question, I have a PRS Custom 24 and so far its been able to handle any style I've thrown at it i.e rock, country, jazz, metal a la racer x, paul gilbert, satriani, vai.. But yeah, basically what everyone else has said. Horizons are supposed to be great guitars.

It's a Blackstar HT-20, really great amp, but other peoples guitars sound a lot better through it than mine does...

I'll definitely check out the ESPs
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
It's a Blackstar HT-20, really great amp, but other peoples guitars sound a lot better through it than mine does...

I'll definitely check out the ESPs

Same amp as me, sir. I didn't think it would do a high end guitar justice, but it sounds great
Quote by CobenBlack
Charvel model 6 is a maple neck through with basswood wings. The new jackson X series soloist is also a basswood body. The charvel has a lot of versatility though because of individual on off pickup switches and a mid boost, japanese made, considered to be very very high quality. Not expensive either, get to save a lot of that money and then buy other stuff, like drugs.

Oh, it's not carved top, but most Jacksons/ Charvels aren't.

Where would I find one of these in Canada?
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
If its an OFR replacing a licensed Floyd, I would assume it is a pretty straightforward swap, but I could be wrong. But I certainly would be getting ripped!

Neck-thru isn't a major concern, not as much of a concern as an alder body..

not necessarily, licensed just means they use the principle, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a straight swap.

if bolt-on is ok then prestige japanese ibanezes, and things like suhr (might be over budget) etc. might be worth a look.

Quote by Offworld92
That guitar doesn't have a licensed trem. It's an FRT-X000. Basically the best Floyd Rose you can get without it actually being an OFR. And to my knowledge, the only difference between the OFR and the FRT is that they OFR is made in Germany and the FRT is made in Korea. They both use the same metals and everything.

i'd far rather have a gotoh, schaller, edge or similar than an frt-x000.

the frt-x000 is about the best of the non-good trems, basically. it's usable, and is a direct swap for an OFR (as far as i'm aware). But it's not as good as an OFR, Gotoh or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a Warmoth, you can customize it to however you like it and if you are going to replace the electronics then there is no reason to buy a complete guitar.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Quote by Dave_Mc

i'd far rather have a gotoh, schaller, edge or similar than an frt-x000.

the frt-x000 is about the best of the non-good trems, basically. it's usable, and is a direct swap for an OFR (as far as i'm aware). But it's not as good as an OFR, Gotoh or something like that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Gotoh

I don't know of any guitars that come with Gotohs though. Are they strictly after market?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Gotoh

I don't know of any guitars that come with Gotohs though. Are they strictly after market?

and yeah teh ernie ball music man ones look to be gotohs, as SCC said.

schecter japan uses them too, i think.

probably some others i'm not thinking of
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?