Here's the myth, the myth is that the type of tone cap you have in your guitar, such as brand of cap or material of cap makes a difference in your tone. The bigger myth is that Sprague Orange Drop caps are the best tone caps in the world.

Well, I happen to have a Sprague Orange Drop cap lying around, and my new stock Ibanez RG7321...that I could test it with. I figure I'd put this thread here since it mainly applies to electric guitar.

Heres the cap that came in the guitar stock, your typical...well, not so typical fake greenie film cap or something.

And the famous rare Sprauge Orange Drop cap...200 volts.

All wired up:

Here's the sound clips I did, none of these clips have any post EQ'ing on them, and all were done with the exact same settings, nothing changed but the tone cap....I had my Valveking pushed to the max and recording out of my Attenuator because I can.

Stock tone cap:
High Gain: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1078446
Pushed cleans: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1078447

Sprague Orange Drop tone cap:
High Gain: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1078448
Pushed cleans: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1078449

I'll let ya'll be the judge of which sounds better, but in my opinion, it does absolutely nothing to the tone.
Did you ever even touch the tone knob on the guitar? During the recording of these?

Record the clips again, this time start with the tone at 10, roll down to 5 and roll down to 0. With each cap and see if there is a recorded difference.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 17, 2012,
Quote by al112987
Did you ever even touch the tone knob on the guitar? During the recording of these?

Record the clips again, this time start with the tone at 10, roll down to 5 and roll down to 0. With each cap and see if there is a recorded difference.

Nope, never touched it, always stayed maxed. It's hard to measure it since the knob doesn't have any markings. And I'm not going though that much trouble to prove my point.

AM, it was labeled Sprague when I bought it, came in a baggie calling it Sprague so don't give me that it's blah blah blah stuff, it's close enough.
Quote by ethan_hanus
And I'm not going though that much trouble to prove my point.

Then you're not really 'proving' your point, are you? Just reinforcing your own preconceptions. (Which is fine, but a quite different thing...)

We've missed you over on the Ohms law thread.......
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Then you're not really 'proving' your point, are you? Just reinforcing your own preconceptions. (Which is fine, but a quite different thing...)

We've missed you over on the Ohms law thread.......

Well fine...since you put it that way I guess I will record it at different tone settings...but not today, I'm kinda just getting over being sick.

You'll have to refresh my memory on the Ohms law thread.....
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nope, never touched it, always stayed maxed. It's hard to measure it since the knob doesn't have any markings. And I'm not going though that much trouble to prove my point.
Then you have proven no point. Any difference in sound between the capacitors are going to be minimized when you have your tone control at max because the cap is basically doing (next to) nothing.

I'm not a huge believer that the material of the cap matters, and if it does, I certainly don't believe it to be a big enough difference to make a big deal about. But you could compare two caps of different values and get very similar sounds with the tone pot on 10. And no one is going to argue that the value DOES matter.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 17, 2012,
I can definitely hear a difference in them. I think the stock one sounds better, it smoother and a little brighter, the Orange sounds darker and muddy to me (thats in heavy OD). In Pushed cleans it sounded like the Orange added more dirt and drive than the stock one.

You would be able to hear a better difference between them if the tone knob was turned down some instead of wide open. But I could still tell a difference with what you did. I actually like metal film ones the best.
Quote by ethan_hanus

AM, it was labeled Sprague when I bought it, came in a baggie calling it Sprague so don't give me that it's blah blah blah stuff, it's close enough.

that cap is clearly labeled SBE.

regardless who says that orange drops are the best possible cap for a guitar tone circuit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
exactly. tone pot does less the higher its turned up.

you proved very little here
Quote by AcousticMirror
that cap is clearly labeled SBE.

regardless who says that orange drops are the best possible cap for a guitar tone circuit.

Sprague Beta encorporated....>_> I tried.

All sorts of people say Orange Drops are the best tone caps, I don't know why but they do.
So you don't use your tone pot and you don't have an orange drop and never have, but you're busting this myth?

Well done. All questions answered. Every single one.