I love to work out, but sometimes it's not possible to commit myself to it, when, for example, occupied with work or studies, or music.

So I wondered, If I carry a ridiculously heavy backpack to university every day, will this serve as a "work out" to my shoulder/neck muscles? I really want to work on those more
Quote by Orryn

So I wondered, If I carry a ridiculously heavy backpack to university every day, will this serve as a "work out" to my shoulder/neck muscles? I really want to work on those more

nope

stupid idea
Carrying a heavy backpack and believe that can substitute a workout?

you 12'ers really are something huh
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 17, 2012,
If by "work out", you mean "fuck up your back beyond repair", then yup.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Orryn
I love to work out, but sometimes it's not possible to commit myself to it, when, for example, occupied with work or studies, or music.

No, not really. If you want to get a workout by just wearing a heavy backpack, it's really only going to work out your legs and "walking ability" as well as your lower back slightly. It's not a good workout for your neck and back overall, if you aren't doing it correctly, and could possibly injury you especially with how poorly designed school backpacks are for weight distribution.
My God, it's full of stars!
Yes, it will help out a lot. If you don't like your shoulders and back and wish to destroy them.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

No, all you'll do is put unnecesary stress on your body and muscles, hurt yourself, and look like a dumb ass.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
That's not really a shoulder excercise.
I know a bloke that climbed mount everest and for a few weeks before he set off he would walk around with a weighted backpack. It was only to get him used to it as he had to carry loads of stuff when climbing eg. oxygen stuff. I'm fairly certain it won't help build very much muscle but I'm not a sports trainer
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
Quote by Dreadnought
No, not really. If you want to get a workout by just wearing a heavy backpack, it's really only going to work out your legs and "walking ability" as well as your lower back slightly. It's not a good workout for your neck and back overall, if you aren't doing it correctly, and could possibly injury you especially with how poorly designed school backpacks are for weight distribution.

I'm aware of the fact, that wearing it the "wrong way" can cause some damage. I'm just looking for some less direct shoulder/neck exercises
Cool logic bro.
-Carry heavy backpack
-Injure back
-??????
-FITNESS
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Orryn
I'm aware of the fact, that wearing it the "wrong way" can cause some damage. I'm just looking for some less direct shoulder/neck exercises

Well, that's not a good way to do it. Sorry. Only way I can imagine would be to get a proper ruck/backpacking pack and do shrugs with it while you're walking around.
My God, it's full of stars!
You'll just cause yourself back problems.

The thing about working out is that you're focused on it and can really focus on your technique/posture.etc.
If you're doing something like that passively, you'll get used to the weight and forget about keeping your posture up properly.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
This sounds like Les Paul syndrome in backpack form.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
2/10

Admit it, your workout is just you wandering about in a gym with heavy bag.
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
Last edited by ....Satan at Jan 17, 2012,
Wear the backpack and go for a run, should sort your calf muscles and quads out

Shoulder exercise though? nah

Try pushups/pullups, you can get ripped doing them and you don't need to pay for a gym membership
Check out my fitness blog here
There's a difference between exercises designed specifically to work a muscle in a safe, healthy fashion that you do at a controlled pace after stretching, and hefting something designed to be economical and unobstructive in carrying things putting a constant strain on your spine more than any sort of muscle or ligament for hours on end.

It's not going to help your neck at all. It may make your shoulders more tolerant to soreness. If anything, it'll strengthen your legs and endurance from walking with that much weight on you so much, but even that's a stretch.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
You didn't really think this through did you?
Even if it were not going to screw up your back (which it will), having a consistent weight attached to you will do little for proper muscle development. It's all about sets and reps.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
You obviously have no knowledge of basic human anatomy... But still, go ahead, do this.

It's not my back.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

You best be kidding. No that won't work out your back. It'll just strain it and cause pain
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
no . . . just save your energy to put into a proper, intense session even if you can only fit in once or twice a week. School, work, and my girlfriend have all been kicking my ass these past few weeks, and i dont have too much time for my own fitness sadly... but i get by. im sure you can squeeze in at least two-three hours a week.
Cycling a lot is a good idea.

I travel a lot by bike so normally end up getting around 3 hours in a week of 'non-exercise' because I don't really mean to exercise, I just like getting there quickly.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Online courses ftw!

Now I'm actually working out, while actually doing some progress. Before, I would wake up at 530 am, then go on a bus for an hour, and go to school and come back the same way. Just waking up early exhausts you so much. Last year I lost so much bloody weight because of that. You wake up early, don't sleep because your schedule is so ****ed and your body is flipping out no matter how tired it is. Its not that I would be stressed, I honestly didnt give two shits about the school work itself.

Now I've gained more muscle weight than I've ever seen myself gained in my entire life. And I get a social life, whereas before, it didn't exist. And the courses online are honestly like 3 times easier.
One of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.
Quote by isabiggles
Cycling a lot is a good idea.

I travel a lot by bike so normally end up getting around 3 hours in a week of 'non-exercise' because I don't really mean to exercise, I just like getting there quickly.

+1

when you ride a bike, you are doing alot of cardio and leg work, which is really good if you wanna get a lean muscle tone, and you also get some fresh air. Same with jogging and swimming, but you seem really lazy lol
I work out every day, I cycle a lot during summer, it's heavy-snowing where I am, can't do during winter
...So work out inside?

I'm still not seeing why a backpack is the best exercise tool you can find.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
It'll help you lose LOADS of weight, trust me on this. You'll lose all that weight your spine and shoulders were putting on.
Gaining muscle is, more frequently, concerned with executing resistance based exercises.
You should be able to creatively exploit this in your own home.

Do pushups, but whilst wearing a back-pack filled with books for added weight. This extra resistance will mean you can do less reps and sets, therefore being more optimal for muscle mass gain (for example, you will gain mass doing a heavier weight, for, ie. 3 sets of 8 reps).
Do bicep curls, shoulder raises, and more with this filled up bag.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Dreadnought
Well, that's not a good way to do it. Sorry. Only way I can imagine would be to get a proper ruck/backpacking pack and do shrugs with it while you're walking around.

Just go do some barbell shrugs if it matters that much.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.