So today i noiced that if i turn my guitar forward (so the pickups are facing towards the floor from a angle) i get alot of hum. When i sit with it normally i get a little hum. When i turn it the other way (so the pickups are facing towards the roof, at an angle), i get no hum at all. This problem is only in the bridge humbucker by the way, in the neck pickup, everything is hum-free. However, i get a ratteling noise when i strum chords on the neck pickup. What shuld i do?
Quote by Usernames sucks
So today i noiced that if i turn my guitar forward (so the pickups are facing towards the floor from a angle) i get alot of hum. When i sit with it normally i get a little hum. When i turn it the other way (so the pickups are facing towards the roof, at an angle), i get no hum at all. This problem is only in the bridge humbucker by the way, in the neck pickup, everything is hum-free. However, i get a ratteling noise when i strum chords on the neck pickup. What shuld i do?

this question is actually quite deep. your noise has to do with environmental electromagnetic disturbances, this could be cause by all kinds of things: house wiring, power lines, large electric appliances running in the house. even a TV remote's signal can be heard when brought too close to a pickup (usually as a beeping noise).

the reason why it makes these noises in certain positions has to do with the complex nature 'flux' or 'field' lines and how it interacts with both the geometry of the pickup and the wiring carrying the signal in the guitar.

what can you do? if it really bugs you then i'd beef up the shielding, that means you coat the control cavities with more metal foil to help minimize the effects of the disturbances (this only works so well). you can also get a more heavy duty shielded wire to rewire the guitar with (not bigger wire, just more shielding on the wire, changing size of wire on the internals of guitars has consequences that aren't favorable).

if you are somewhat handy with electronics then i'd check out the bridge pickup, make sure the connections are cleanly attached. you can also take it to a guitar tech.

i'd also mention that electric guitars will always have a bit of hum and noise in their signal, if it really isn't that much noise and only happens occasionally then the best thing to do is just ignore it and develop habits that minimize any excessive noise it picks up.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
this question is actually quite deep. your noise has to do with environmental electromagnetic disturbances, this could be cause by all kinds of things: house wiring, power lines, large electric appliances running in the house. even a TV remote's signal can be heard when brought too close to a pickup (usually as a beeping noise).

the reason why it makes these noises in certain positions has to do with the complex nature 'flux' or 'field' lines and how it interacts with both the geometry of the pickup and the wiring carrying the signal in the guitar.

what can you do? if it really bugs you then i'd beef up the shielding, that means you coat the control cavities with more metal foil to help minimize the effects of the disturbances (this only works so well). you can also get a more heavy duty shielded wire to rewire the guitar with (not bigger wire, just more shielding on the wire, changing size of wire on the internals of guitars has consequences that aren't favorable).

if you are somewhat handy with electronics then i'd check out the bridge pickup, make sure the connections are cleanly attached. you can also take it to a guitar tech.

i'd also mention that electric guitars will always have a bit of hum and noise in their signal, if it really isn't that much noise and only happens occasionally then the best thing to do is just ignore it and develop habits that minimize any excessive noise it picks up.

It has nothing to do with where in the room i am. I have tried my guitar other places than home, and the problem is the same.