hey guys, im looking to start recording myself. not necessarly looking for something top professional...im not making demos with a band for now or anything. its just my voice and my guitar. i guess for the purpose of writing songs....

anyway, my budget is ~200$ dollars.

the only thing i dont want is to use one of those programs where i use a "virtual" amp. i really like the sound of my amp, and i wanna capture it. other than that im pretty open to any ideas.

my original plan was to buy a recording mic, and find someway to hook it up to my laptop; basically record the sound coming out of my amp with a mic...and hopefully that also works for vocals... i will need some sort of easy to use computer software, but im not sure i can with my budget.

so any suggestions that would fit my needs?
thanks guys!, im really retarded at this...
For tracking stuff, audacity or reaper are free.
With your money:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?pq=usb+microphone&hl=en&ds=pr&cp=24&gs_id=2j&xhr=t&q=usb+microphone+audio+technica&safe=off&gbv=2&biw=1440&bih=728&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9370456307340730176&sa=X&ei=ifUVT4uJFsau8gOS8fnkDw&sqi=2&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAA

These are rated quite highly if you're not overly fussed about recording.
Not sure how it will sound, but everyone I've seen on here that's had one seems satisfied with it.
I'd say buy a simple portable recorder, with a good mic on it.

I recently bought a Boss BR-800, although it is twice as expensive as 200 dollar, it does what you want pretty easy and more. Plus, you dont even really need a computer unless you want to edit it or make a .WAV file of your song, plus it has multiple inputs, '8' tracks (which is actually 4 mono tracks and 2 stereo tracks) and lots of other neat stuff. Also for you it has a Guitar/Mic simultaneous recording input so you have the guitar (if its electric) and your voice on two different tracks.
Quote by Cold Reader
For tracking stuff, audacity or reaper are free.
With your money:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?pq=usb+microphone&hl=en&ds=pr&cp=24&gs_id=2j&xhr=t&q=usb+microphone+audio+technica&safe=off&gbv=2&biw=1440&bih=728&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9370456307340730176&sa=X&ei=ifUVT4uJFsau8gOS8fnkDw&sqi=2&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAA

These are rated quite highly if you're not overly fussed about recording.
Not sure how it will sound, but everyone I've seen on here that's had one seems satisfied with it.

Audacity is not particularly good from experience, that may be because I am using the mic from a laptop however, but the editing options are weak and you can't play back and record at the same time on speaker.
Zynewave Podium Free is by far the best, easiest to use, and best (and easiest to use) program I've used, as far as software goes.
Quote by Banti
I'd say buy a simple portable recorder, with a good mic on it.

I recently bought a Boss BR-800, although it is twice as expensive as 200 dollar, it does what you want pretty easy and more. Plus, you dont even really need a computer unless you want to edit it or make a .WAV file of your song, plus it has multiple inputs, '8' tracks (which is actually 4 mono tracks and 2 stereo tracks) and lots of other neat stuff. Also for you it has a Guitar/Mic simultaneous recording input so you have the guitar (if its electric) and your voice on two different tracks.

well i would prefer to have some sorta program on my computer, so i can match up tracks....as in record guitar, then record another guitar, then record vocals, and line them all up.

a usb mic doesnt look too bad, but ive heard line is better.

any other ideas or suggestions?
thanks for all the answers guys
Quote by davem27
well i would prefer to have some sorta program on my computer, so i can match up tracks....as in record guitar, then record another guitar, then record vocals, and line them all up.

a usb mic doesnt look too bad, but ive heard line is better.

any other ideas or suggestions?
thanks for all the answers guys

A multitracker like the one suggested would do what you want and much more - they can essentially do everything the software equivalent can do and are usually easier to use for home recording projects.

On your budget though, you aren't going to afford one so getting an interface to record into your PC is going to be the only option
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud