Hello,

A friend and I have a garage all set up for recording were raw, garage rock and stoner rock. The idea is to go a bit old-school on the equipment (most of our equipment, guitars and amps, are already quite old-school sounding, and he has some nice vintage instruments) and we are looking for a good recording device.

Our plan is to have a rack mount with the effects separate from the recording device, that is to say that we need a rack mounted recording device (or like a separate recording device, if it can´t be the other way) that ONLY records. All effects and mixing will be done with mixers that take the signal before it gets to the recorder. It would be nice if it could burn CDs or tapes, but I think we are looking for a straight to USB kind of thing.

Is there any advice? Price range: 500€ max.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
You want an 8 (or more, if you can) track digital recorder with a 'Send/Return' function.

People tend to shun them these days, but it's such a reliable way to record. Of course, there are limitations (like punching in, which is damn near impossible without bouncing it to a computer first and adjusting), but overall it has given me the least resistance.

The beautiful thing is that it saves each individual track as its own file. The only other way to achieve that feature, nowadays, is to go full out on an interface for a computer.

So, again, my advice would be the digital recorder. They're in your price range (especially if you can find one used), they're reliable, and they'll work for your setup. Plus, as an added bonus, by today's standards they're "old school" !

The effects rack is nice, too. When listening back, you could send an individual track out to the appropriate effects processor. (for example, you could send your snare track out to the compressor and monitor it accordingly)

Of course, it's up to you to pick the ultimate setup. You may find that you prefer the control that comes along with a desktop/firewire interface.

Best of luck, lads! It's encouraging to hear about Garage Rock bands.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Not any particular brand suggestion? I will look out for it.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
I'll get back to you on a specific brand. The 8 track I was using is not at my disposal, but as soon as I find out the model number I'll let you know.

Boss actually makes a pretty decent one, though. Even though it's not the one I have.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.