So.. both are pretty damn nice guitars, brand name and signature aside (Herman Ri is shit, Ibanez don't make good guitars.. etc) have anybody actually played both and is able to offer an unbiased comparison between the two?

Personally, I really like the purple finish on the egen and the lower scalloped frets seems pretty cool, the bridge also looks more stable. The JP model have piezo and less of a pain in the ass to change the strings.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-EGEN18
http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/john-petrucci-bfr.html
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Erm...

If you don't buy the BFR your a fool.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Haven't played a BFR but I did play a JP6. (his first EBMM model) ****ing great guitar. Check that model out too. You may even like it more than the BFR.
Just a thought but why not buy a guitar thats no a sig. They're just soo overpriced because they have a name on them. Just a thought though.
The JP is hardly a "signature guitar" though, compared to like a Dimebag or Synyster Gates guitar. It's more of a guitar made to John's specifications, with features that a lot of likeminded players are looking for in a guitar.
Quote by griffin888
Haven't played a BFR but I did play a JP6. (his first EBMM model) ****ing great guitar. Check that model out too. You may even like it more than the BFR.

I really like how the BFR series (especially the new JPXI) the body is much more solid and a much thinner "wizard like" neck. Everybody seems to favor the Musicman over the Ibanez but damn that purple finish is to die for (although it's a "signmature" model, the headstock don't have his name on it ) now only if there is a music store that have both in stock, it would be perfect.
Jp.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Bfr7!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Any particular reasons why the BFR is superior?? (craftsmanship, action, better tone, tuning stability.. etc)
Because its not the color of an arabs drapes.

Edit* Persian, sorry. Purple and gold is gaudy.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 17, 2012,
It's better in ever way. BUY IT NOW
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Thanks for the input guys! I'm going to find a store with a JPXI in stock, even a mini road trip would be worth it
Because people would rather sound like JP than HL. Just saying.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
No guitar will make you sound like the artist. That being said, while I'd take a JP BFR over an EGEN, the EGEN is still a pretty good guitar. It's just associated with a severely less popular artist. I mean, it's basically just a purple S series with an upper horn grip and custom DiMarzio's. How bad could it be? lol
I own three higher-end Ibanez models and I can speak to the quality of the guitars towards that end of the price spectrum - build quality, playability, etc. are all top notch, and the old Petrucci sig has the greatest neck in the history of necks in my opinion. I can also tell you that from personal experience, the scalloped 21-24 frets (I have the same frets scalloped on my Jem) are nice but nothing to write home about. It doesn't truly make enough of a difference to really be an important buying factor for me, but your mileage may vary. I've heard nothing but good things about the Edge Zero as well, and considering the amount of abuse it takes during Dragonforce songs I'd say it does quite well.

I don't really know anything about the JP other than that it's received excellent reviews from everyone I've ever seen, and the piezo is a really nice feature to have.

I don't know if this post contained actually anything useful, but 90% of the posts in this thread were useless so it'll fit right in.
Quote by Bubbles516
Just a thought but why not buy a guitar thats no a sig. They're just soo overpriced because they have a name on them. Just a thought though.

Sig guitars often have specs normal production guitars don't. I can't think of any sigs off the top of my head that are exactly the same as a production guitar. The closest being the Kirk Hammet sig, and even that's different because it has an extra volume knob. That's kind of the point of offering them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
BFr deFo. Find one with rosewood neck (not just fretboard) and you will love it. I test played mine for literally 10 mins before I decided to buy it, best guitar I ever touched.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+