Hey guys, I recently got a Mac about a month ago and since then have been looking around for recording equipment within a price range of $1,000-$1,500. My band recently recorded with a friend of ours who is studying to be a sound engineer and using a pretty ghetto set up got a pretty good sound for recording direct-in (with no audio interface...I know, we're insane...the guitar center guys told us) and tracking vocals with a $90 Blue Snowball and everyone who's heard it can't believe we recorded the way we did.

I'm interested in demoing things on my own just because scheduling is a bitch and I want to be able to track things as I think of them. I'd love to stay between $800-$1,000, but I'm wiling to go up to $1,500 and buy things over time if it's really going to make that much of a difference. I'm not interested in creating a pro-studio recording but hopefully something that with some compression, EQ'ing, and elbow grease in Logic could sound pretty good.

I'm looking to track everything: Vocals, guitar, bass, and drums. My main concern is the drum mics and hopefully moving up to recording direct-in and micing the guitar and bass amps using an audio interface. If anyone could help me compile some sort of list of reasonable and decent equipment, I would appreciate it!
Gretsch G5191
Line 6 MK II Tube Designed by Bogner
The Tascam US-800 is a pretty popular low budget interface, has decent pre's for the price and has 6 xlr inputs. those run around $250.

Microphones, I'd just get yourself a 57 for recording amps and snare, a Rode nta1 for vocals, then get some mxl 603's for OVH mics, and a bass drum mic is hard for me to think of a budget mic for, cheapest thing I'd go with would be another 57 or spend some money and get something more worth wile.

Then there's monitors, totally preference to some extent.

And don't forget, cables, stands, stuff starts to add up quick.

Also if you expect to record drums, you need to treat the room or atleast rig up some gobos to get a decent sound from the kit.
Thanks guys...I was looking at Mbox's...can you use those to record acoustic drums? I've used them before...but I don't really know the ins and outs of interfaces. Is there a difference between that and the Tascam?
Gretsch G5191
For recording drums you need multiple microphones recording at the same time. Usually it takes 5-6 microphones to record drums so any interface will 6+ mic inputs will do the job.
I wouldn't go for the M-Box, personally. The mic preamps on them are pretty low quality for the price you pay. With your budget, I'd suggest you pick up a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, ~360 B-Stock on eBay, down to $300 or so used. That'll give you 8 tracks of XLR inputs (which should be enough for your basic drum setup), and you can expand it for another ~$1-150 with a Behringer ADA8000 to record 16 tracks simultaneously (if you need it).

What kind of music are you recording?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I wouldn't go for the M-Box, personally. The mic preamps on them are pretty low quality for the price you pay. With your budget, I'd suggest you pick up a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, ~360 B-Stock on eBay, down to $300 or so used. That'll give you 8 tracks of XLR inputs (which should be enough for your basic drum setup), and you can expand it for another ~$1-150 with a Behringer ADA8000 to record 16 tracks simultaneously (if you need it).

What kind of music are you recording?

We're an eclectic mix of alternative rock/metal/punk/post-hardcore. The guitars are heavy distortion, powerful vocals and screams, and hard hitting drums. We've been told we turn everything up to 11 haha.
Gretsch G5191