Hey all, quick question regarding my amp.

My current setup is a 6505+ Combo, with an Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer, Boss NS2 and Boss GE7. I also have a few others but these form the basis of my tone and are on all the time.

I was thinking speaker swap? I am still using the stock speaker which sounds fine to me but by the sounds of it swapping it with the right speaker can make a huge improvement.

I checked out both Vintage 30s and Eminence Governors. Which would give the best tone for me? Is it worth paying that bit extra for the V30s?

The other alternative I see is tube swaps. I really don't know much about tube swapping so this may seem vague, but if I was to change them should I change all of them or what? If not, just the power tubes? Just the preamps?

I have been looking at JJ Tesla tubes, the 6L6GC and 12AX7s. Any others I should look at?

So basically here are my questions:

How many, and which of the tubes should I plan on changing?
When changing the speaker, will I need to do any soldering?
If you arn't supposed to touch power tubes, how exactly do you replace them?
Roughly how long does it take for a new speaker to 'break in' or whatever the term is?
Anything else I should know before buying any speakers or tubes!

Thanks!
You could try a WGS Veteran 30, it's the same as a Vintage 30 but half the price, and without icepicky highs that V30s have sometimes.

You don't need to solder when you change speakers. They have connectors.

Touching power tubes is fine, whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

It depends how long you play the amp, and how loud you play. A speaker can break in after a month or two, or sometimes less. If you play every day at gigging volumes then it can break in in two weeks. It really ultimately depends on your habits.

As to how many and which tubes you should change, it's up to you. JJs go well with 5150/6505 type amps, but putting JJs in every single position is probably not the best idea since different tubes will sound better in certain positions of the amp. A 5751 might be a good idea in V1, or even a lower gain tube like a 12AT7 or a 12AU7, if you find your amp has too much gain and you'd like to clean it up. You should probably read up on it.

Your power tubes will need to be changed sooner or later.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You can touch power tubes, or any tube as a matter of fact, just make sure you wipe them down with a cloth to get your hand oils off of them. Apparently it's not good for them, but I just do it out of habbit.

Raijouta pretty much covered it though.
Cheers for the response.

So I take it the preamp tubes have a much larger impact on the tone than the power tubes? Should I hold off replacing the power tubes until the stock ones wear out on their own?

There are 5 preamp tubes in the amp, and I am aware that some control clean/lead/distortion or something but I can't find anything concrete that explains the tube setup for this amp.

If I was to buy say, two JJ12AX7s, I could then experiment with the different positions and see what works best, and if I want to buy any more. Would that be a good plan?
Quote by Random3
Cheers for the response.

So I take it the preamp tubes have a much larger impact on the tone than the power tubes? Should I hold off replacing the power tubes until the stock ones wear out on their own?

There are 5 preamp tubes in the amp, and I am aware that some control clean/lead/distortion or something but I can't find anything concrete that explains the tube setup for this amp.

If I was to buy say, two JJ12AX7s, I could then experiment with the different positions and see what works best, and if I want to buy any more. Would that be a good plan?

If I were you, I'd replace all the tubes at the same time, just to be safe, and to avoid annoyance in the future.

For preamp tubes, I'd go a Tong-Sol 12AX7 in V1, and JJ12AX7's in everything else, since I'm not familiar with that amp, but can't go wrong with JJ's really.

Certain preamp tubes in certain positions can affect the gain structure, amount of gain to a certain degree. It's not a perfect science.
Quote by ethan_hanus
If I were you, I'd replace all the tubes at the same time, just to be safe, and to avoid annoyance in the future.

For preamp tubes, I'd go a Tong-Sol 12AX7 in V1, and JJ12AX7's in everything else, since I'm not familiar with that amp, but can't go wrong with JJ's really.

Certain preamp tubes in certain positions can affect the gain structure, amount of gain to a certain degree. It's not a perfect science.

Ok cool I'll look into that.

When you say replace all the tubes at once, do you mean power tubes as well? Or should I just leave them for now. I mean if they won't make a noticeable tonal difference then I won't bother, but I can't really try before I buy.

Oh also what's the reason for a different make of 12AX7 in the V1 socket? Does it have slightly less gain or something?
Last edited by Random3 at Jan 17, 2012,
Power tubes can make a difference; not as much as preamp tubes, though. As to whether you want to replace them now, it's up to you. If you do, don't throw them away, keep them as spares as long as they continue to function.

Different makes will have different tonal characteristics. Tung-Sols are known to be brighter-sounding than JJs, which are more bassy and low-mids oriented.

Having tubes of all the same make in an amp may cause it to dominate in one frequency range, whereas putting multiple different makes in may cause it to sound better (or worse). Your mileage may vary.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jan 17, 2012,
Quote by Random3
Ok cool I'll look into that.

When you say replace all the tubes at once, do you mean power tubes as well? Or should I just leave them for now. I mean if they won't make a noticeable tonal difference then I won't bother, but I can't really try before I buy.

Oh also what's the reason for a different make of 12AX7 in the V1 socket? Does it have slightly less gain or something?

All the tubes, power tubes as well.

Teh Tong-Sol in V-1 is just a good tube to put in V-1 on Peavey amps, it's a bright sounding tube, and helps bring life to the clean channel. It'll help balance out all those dark sounding JJ tubes.
Ok awesome, thanks for the help guys I think I know what I might be buying on pay day

And Ethan, would you suggest the JJ6L6GCs for the power amp?

Just wondering because a company on eBay is selling 2 JJ6L6GCs and 4 JJ12AX7s as one pack, which would be very convenient if I can buy that plus the Tung-Sol on it's own.
Last edited by Random3 at Jan 17, 2012,
Instead of canning the sheffield have you considered getting a 112 extension cab? note that if you go that route you will want to get a 16ohm speaker to match your Sheffield.
I have considered an additional speaker cab but I don't see the point, it would cost more and be harder to transport.

And the 6505+ combo has an Ohm switch so you can match it with whatever speaker you are using.

I will keep the Sheffield anyway so I can put it back in when I eventually sell the amp in the future.
I was meaning if you got an extension you would want the speakers to match. 2 16ohm speakers in paralell would be an 8ohm load. Say you get a v30 it will sound way different than your sheffield. the point would be that you would have both tones combined getting the low raunch from the sheff and the clarity or mid spike from the v30. but yeah, if you dont want to lug an additional cab around it doesnt make sense.