My wife has sadly asked me to sell all my guitars and my bass and potentially my amp. While I am saddened by the loss of these things we have several big checks coming (its a long story so please don't ask) and I've been promised a guitar up to $600, a new amp and possibly a new phone (I'm not asking about phone help :p).

I am looking at getting a versatile but leaning toward metal 7 or 8 string. If you saw my last topic you saw my debate over two Schecters and I'm leaning to the Damien in the topic. If you have any suggestions for me that would be appreciated:

7 or 8 String
3-600 in price
Passives
Hard Tail
Schecter, Ibanez, ESP (other brands welcomed though)
Body Shape doesn't matter (as long as I can sit with it

My main question is the amp replacement. I know this thing is not the best amp but I love the tone out of it: it is a 10w Park. I've played out of bigger amps and just love how this thing works. I live in a small house about the size of a typical two bedroom apartment, so a large amp is also kind of impractical. Would I be set looking at Marshall or going in another direction? What are some good brands with a decent tone, for the lovely metal, but sometimes other things guitar? Any suggestions, try for around 300 or so (I'm prob going to save money on the guitar to pay for an amp if I sell it).

Any help please.
Last edited by kharn_tb at Jan 17, 2012,
marshalls, in my opinion, are overrated. I understand why people default to them, but I don't really think most of them sound that good (some of them though...).

go to a store and play as many amps as you can in your price range. you'll find that some will just suit your playing better than others. from there, UG can definitely help out, but the range of choices is simply too broad if you haven't narrowed it down much yet
The only reason I'm kind of defaulting to Marshall is because I'm using a Park, which according to people I've spoken with (which includes my wife who has been playing for a lot longer then me) is some kind of lower end Marshall as Epiphone is to Gibson or Squier is to Fender. I like the tone I get out of that and am hoping to keep that at least. I just wasn't sure if staying with Marshall now was a good idea or if switching companies was a good idea.

I have a Local Guitar Store by me that is huge (Motor City Guitar in Waterford), but I'm not 100% on their amp selection as I am the guitar selection. Also I am willing to buy used its not a huge deal to me.
Uhm.. This is beside the subject but erh. your wife made you sell all your stuff, then promised you new stuff and ..allowance?

This some crazy S/M thing?!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by kharn_tb
The only reason I'm kind of defaulting to Marshall is because I'm using a Park, which according to people I've spoken with (which includes my wife who has been playing for a lot longer then me) is some kind of lower end Marshall as Epiphone is to Gibson or Squier is to Fender. I like the tone I get out of that and am hoping to keep that at least. I just wasn't sure if staying with Marshall now was a good idea or if switching companies was a good idea.

I have a Local Guitar Store by me that is huge (Motor City Guitar in Waterford), but I'm not 100% on their amp selection as I am the guitar selection. Also I am willing to buy used its not a huge deal to me.

Those Park amps and the equivalent current cheap Marshalls are pretty poor amps to be honest - if you were happy with the Park you'll be ecstatic with what you replace it with. A low wattage modeller is what you're looking for, look at the Vox Valvetronix or Peavey Vypyr series. The 30 watters usually have a few more features but the 15 watt models will be more than adequate if you're just looking to play at low volumes at home. The beauty of a modeller in your situation is that they give you a wide range of tones to play with. I'll be brutally honest here and say you're unlikely to find something that sounds as bad as the Park, but you'll definintely be able to find at least one sound out of the new amp that you love, probably several.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Northernmight
Uhm.. This is beside the subject but erh. your wife made you sell all your stuff, then promised you new stuff and ..allowance?

This some crazy S/M thing?!

We have every single bill due right now and my wife was off work for a while due to some work injury issues, and we just need the money, but the workman's comp check is coming soon and a few other big ones so I can buy new gear.

Also can I ask if you can get a decent amp for 1-200?
I paid 200$ for my Vox Valvetronix 30 watt.
Its a pretty damn good SS with great cleans and some decent metal tones and everything in between. Also tons of built in effects.
Edit 200$ CAD.