So, I was daydreaming today, and I was thinking about telecasters. And so, I was thinking... would it be better to custom make a vintage style tele. I know that the legitimately vintage ones are expensive, but im not looking to buy a piece of history, i just really like the sound and style of telecasters. So, yknow if i decide to go custom I could pretty much do whatever I wanted with it and make it my own creation, but on the other hand, it "could" cost more than just buying one. Not really sure what do.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Do what you wanna do. If you want to get a custom make, go for it.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Sonically, if you have the right amp and the right pickups, you're going to get 95% of the way there. You don't need to spend a small fortune on a guitar to recreate a certain tone. Chances are good that recreating a certain tone is going to be simply impossible anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This is prolly true, but as well as the sound, i really like the aesthetics of the tele. I was also considering making it look as vintage as possible. orginal saddle and all... But I was thinking of changing the neck from maple to rosewood cuz honestly those maple necks just dont do it for me
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
up to you, really. unless you have really out-there specs, it might be handier to just buy one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Iblis92
So, I was daydreaming today, and I was thinking about telecasters. And so, I was thinking... would it be better to custom make a vintage style tele. I know that the legitimately vintage ones are expensive, but im not looking to buy a piece of history, i just really like the sound and style of telecasters. So, yknow if i decide to go custom I could pretty much do whatever I wanted with it and make it my own creation, but on the other hand, it "could" cost more than just buying one. Not really sure what do.
What do you mean by "custom-make"?

Like... build from scratch? Having a luthier build you one? Or putting together a partscaster?

Partscasters are fun projects, albeit they can get expensive and can end up costing more than just buying a telecaster from the store. They also have notoriously low resale value. The upside is that you get a little more choice in what you want as far as specs go. Once I have some money available, I will probably build a parts nocaster.