hey i have a problem, i am only allowed play the guitar on the weekends and i really want to get better. i have been playing for a year and i can do alternate picking, scales and power chords. is there any way i can improve my skill of playing the guitar when im not playing the guitar. thanks for reading.
Meh
Probably not to any significant degree I'm afraid
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
"not allowed to play guitar" ...

is generally "no video games the week" or "no computer" but ... "not allowed to play guitar" ...
How we can forbid someone to play an instrument?
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Well, you can't learn technique without playing, that's for sure, but you can invest quite a lot of time learning theory and when you are allowed to play you can see the practical side of it. That's what I'd do.

Or the guitar equivilent?

This wont necessarily improve your skills but atleast you'll be able to keep up with basic theory and finger placement.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Last edited by alkalineweeman at Jan 18, 2012,
Playing only on the weekend is a problem. You learn the movements by repeating them regularly, muscle memory continues to develop after you've played. Try practicing some scales for 5 minutes, put it away for 30 minutes and come back and you'll have improved in the time you did nothing. Likewise you'll improve overnight. If you do this every day you're practice routines build on the one before it, if you leave it too long, like a week, the muscle memory will have gone and you're starting over every time. You're pushing shit up-hill as we say out here in the antipodes.
I presume that it's your parents wanting to focus on school work and not waste your life on that guitar, see if you can talk them into ten minutes a day, that'll be better than 20 hours every weekend.
The only i can is suggest is that when you are away from the guitar.

1. Listen to a range of music

2. Learn Theory

3. Learn how to read music
You can read plenty about theory and things like that. You can study a piece of music on a page and work out whats being done theoretically. You can do aural traing tests and similar things online.

How about you tell who ever it is stopping you from playing how much you want to do well. Tell them guitar can do some much for a person, like increase brain capacity, give confidence at public speaking, help you get into university.

Or play in secret, shutting your door and playing unplugged.

You could also go to a music shop and play.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Not allowed? May i ask why?

cause me mom doesnt want me to waste my time and be stuck in my room all day and because apparently playing the guitar is meant to do damage to your fingers.
Meh
you need to rebel all the best musicians are were rebels. Of course youll only live to be 27...

but seriously if you want to play guitar you need to find a way to practice during the week. Im sure your mom cant want to stop you playing guitar as much as you want to play it. If its about being stuck in your room, find somewhere else to practice. When the weather gets better go sit in the garden and play. Maybe learn a song she likes and play it for her and shell think this guitar thing isnt such a waste of time after all. Also tell her that guitar is only damaging to your fingers if youre bad at it so you need to practice for the sake of your health

btw I grew up in Birmingham, youre better off being stuck in your bedroom...
Quote by lildudenikki
cause me mom doesnt want me to waste my time and be stuck in my room all day and because apparently playing the guitar is meant to do damage to your fingers.

Honestly? Time you enjoy wasting isn't time wasted. Not that learning to play the guitar is a waste of time though
If she thinks you'll be stuck in your room all day, try to make a deal with her. Only play the guitar after homework, or try playing guitar with friends. I find it to be great fun and it's great for you as a musician too.
Playing the guitar does not do any damage to any part of your arm if you have proper technique. Sure, your fingertips get a bit harder but imo that only has its advantages.
She's really just being a mom, I see why she could be concerned, but in the end, if you really wanna do it she can't stop you anyway.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
thanks guys here is my plan, im going to annoy my mom everyday by saying let me on the guitar and have a chat about playing the guitar and how badly i want to be in a band and have a career as a musician. what do you think?
Meh
Well, being annoying is something young folks do pretty well... It's a time-honored technique to wear the parent down...

However, you might try reason. First, tell your mother that you are really serious about learning to play well and that you'd like to explore a musical career.
Second, set up a reasonable practice schedule. Say, an hour a day. You can make good progress with such a schedule.
Third, point out that rather than hurting your fingers in some strange way, guitar players often show great mobility and dexterity into old age, even when other joints are starting to deteriorate.
Consider me, for instance. I'm 65, and have wonky knees and shoulders both. However, my fingers still work just fine, thanks.
you need to stick it to the man!!tell your mom u wanna play guitar and have a passion for it and thats what your gonna and their aint a dam thing she can do about it!!!!
I wouldn't be annoying but I would be persistent. Do your homework and chores. Maybe even some extra chores. Negotiate with her and show her you're willing to put in the effort. Ask her for 1 hour a day except for weekends. Use a timer if necessary.
Quote by lildudenikki
thanks guys here is my plan, im going to annoy my mom everyday by saying let me on the guitar and have a chat about playing the guitar and how badly i want to be in a band and have a career as a musician. what do you think?

To be honest that's just about the worst think you could say!

Tell her you want to learn guitar as a creative hobby and a way to wind down and relax after studying - also offer to learn some of her favourite songs, parents like that kind of crap.

As far as your career goes, for god's sake tell them you want to be a doctor or an architect or something.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
To be honest that's just about the worst think you could say!

Tell her you want to learn guitar as a creative hobby and a way to wind down and relax after studying - also offer to learn some of her favourite songs, parents like that kind of crap.

As far as your career goes, for god's sake tell them you want to be a doctor or an architect or something.

was going to say this, youll scare her into being even stricter
Well, wow. Your mom's a dick. Rebellion seems like an option.
Work on your ear. This is one of the most important skills. You can download the functional ear trainer at miles.be and use it for 10-15 minutes a day. You can get a book like "Ear Training for the conteporary musician" by Keith Wyatt, which will teach you theory and give you exercises to improve your ear.

This will really help.

More importantly, though, have a conversation with your parents. Make it clear that playing guitar makes you very happy, and that you won't let it interfere with your social life or schoolwork. Establish ground rules. The whole "damage your fingertips" thing is silly, but try to understand where she's coming from so you can explain why she's wrong.

Don't talk about having a career as a musician. Rather, talk about it as a social outlet (eg, you want to find other people you can play with) and as a great extracurricular for helping you get into college.
Talk to your dad?

Honestly, your mom needs some sexy time urgently...!

As for now, you can train your ears, learn theory (scale, chord progressions, etc)
I didn't knew someone could be ignorant enough in our days to keep someone from playing and learning music... Maybe you should hang out with the local scums and see if your mom approuves now!
Quote by lildudenikki

then wtf else do u do on your free time
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I'm a parent and while I don't agree with your mom I don't think bugging her is the best idea either. When my kids want something I try to get them to reason with me. Be calm, acknowledge your mom's concerns and address them one by one, be mature about it.
The damaging your fingers thing sounds like one of those excuses you use as a parent when you can't think of anything else. Don't call her on that just tell her that you've found some good warm up exercises that will help you avoid injury (do a google search, you'll find something).
Tell her you'd like to practice small amounts regularly, that you won't let it affect your chores or your school work and that if your grades suffer as a result you'll stop (Of course they won't so this is a safe bet).
Don't do the begging thing, if you can come to her with a plan she'll know that it's important, you've demonstrated that, begging is a sign of immaturity and will reinforce your mom's concerns.