linkage

Quote by CNN article
Living people who were forcibly sterilized as part of a decades-long eugenics program in North Carolina should receive a one-time payment of $50,000, a state task force recommended on Tuesday.

North Carolina sterilized an estimated 7,600 people between 1929 and 1974, many of them against their will. The state apologized for the sterilizations in 2002, and Gov. Bev Perdue created the compensation task force last year. Many states once had eugenics programs, and seven have apologized, but North Carolina is the first to consider paying victims.

This is my first time hearing about eugenics being practiced inside the states. Honestly, it may not be such a bad idea to sterilize some people...

Anyway, thoughts pit?

Ashley
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by son_of_bodom
Honestly, it may not be such a bad idea to sterilize some people...

It's alright, Hitler would have agreed with you.
Saw it was you posting and instantly knew that it was gonna be some idiotic opinion. Congrats TS, you've reached a new low.
The question is not is this a good idea or a bad idea, the question is who get to choose who gets to breed?

Let's suppose you went around and asked every identifiable group who should be sterilized, if you followed every single recommendation, do you think any group would be left capable of continuing the species?
Quote by son_of_bodom

This is my first time hearing about eugenics being practiced inside the states. Honestly, it may not be such a bad idea to sterilize some people...

You can go back to the early 1900's. If you stay here I hope someone chops you up with an axe.

Around WWI we would do generic "retard" tests that were based around white, Christian culture. Lots of people who failed fill in the blank and multiple choice type stuff got sterilized.

Even as a libertarian I support compensating people who have been big brothers experiments, those who hope to further administer eugenics plainly deserve to be tortured.
Last edited by garden of grey at Jan 18, 2012,
Bev Perdue was only elected because people voted straight ticket.
That being said my adoptive parents will be getting a pay out then I guess.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by severed-metal
It's alright, Hitler would have agreed with you.

As much of a dick as Hitler was the man had a plan. And Goddamn he stuck with it no matter what the naysayers said. I can't say I agree with a lot that he did, but I respect the man. He pushed science hard because of his lack of compassion. Just saying.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by BurningTurkey
As much of a dick as Hitler was the man had a plan. And Goddamn he stuck with it no matter what the naysayers said. I can't say I agree with a lot that he did, but I respect the man. He pushed science hard because of his lack of compassion. Just saying.

You could say the same for George W. Bush except for his halting of science due to lack of compassion, I don't think I would respect anybody who took over and changed a nation just because they did.
Quote by BurningTurkey

Your dad did your mom due to his lack of standards. Just sayin'
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by garden of grey
You could say the same for George W. Bush except for his halting of science due to lack of compassion, I don't think I would respect anybody who took over and changed a nation just because they did.

You mean like when he approved stemcell research funding after Clinton banned it?
Quote by BurningTurkey

You're right, but you are not going to make a lot of friends saying that.

Seriously, I agree with you, and I think you are a dick for saying it.
Last edited by garden of grey at Jan 18, 2012,
Quote by garden of grey

Ya Rly!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell_controversy

In 1998, privately funded research led to the breakthrough discovery of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (hESC). This prompted the Clinton Administration to re-examine guidelines for federal funding of embryonic research. In 1999, the president's National Bioethics Advisory Commission recommended that hESC harvested from embryos discarded after in vitro fertility treatments, but not from embryos created expressly for experimentation, be eligible for federal funding. Though embryo destruction had been inevitable in the process of harvesting hESC in the past (this is no longer the case[35][36][37][38]), the Clinton Administration had decided that it would be permissible under the Dickey Amendment to fund hESC research as long as such research did not itself directly cause the destruction of an embryo. Therefore, HHS issued its proposed regulation concerning hESC funding in 2001. Enactment of the new guidelines was delayed by the incoming George W. Bush administration which decided to reconsider the issue.

President Bush announced, on August 9, 2001 that federal funds, for the first time, would be made available for hESC research on currently existing embryonic stem cell lines. President Bush authorized research on existing human embryonic stem cell lines, not on human embryos under a specific, unrealistic timeline in which the stem cell lines must have been developed. However, the Bush Administration chose not to permit taxpayer funding for research on hESC cell lines not currently in existence, thus limiting federal funding to research in which "the life-and-death decision has already been made".[39] The Bush Administration's guidelines differ from the Clinton Administration guidelines which did not distinguish between currently existing and not-yet-existing hESC. Both the Bush and Clinton guidelines agree that the federal government should not fund hESC research that directly destroys embryos.

Neither Congress nor any administration has ever prohibited private funding of embryonic research. Public and private funding of research on adult and cord blood stem cells is unrestricted.

It's highly edited, and there are some inaccuracies, but no matter how you look at it, Bush expanded Stemcell research Dramatically.
Dramatically? He didn't put any tax money into it and still banned using a fetus just for stem cell research, that's all I got from that wall of text.

I have always recalled the event as one where Bush would not give scientists close to enough funds to get enough research done to get anywhere any time soon.
Quote by Jackal58
Your dad did your mom due to his lack of standards. Just sayin'

Can't say he lacked compassion though.

oooooooooooh!
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I think TS needs to be sterilized.
Just sayin'.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
when i saw Motorhead, every bass kick shook the place

when they played Overkill at the end i nearly involuntarily shat myself
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think politicians need to be sterilized.

That has possibilities.
Quote by son_of_bodom

Anyway, thoughts pit?

Ashley

1) How had you not heard of this? Listen in History class.

2) Anyone with a basic understanding of evolution, Neurodiversity, or Genetics will tell you that eugenics is a bad idea.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think politicians need to be sterilized.

I think you're on to something, Ethan.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Ur all $h1t

In the basic history classes I took, which were required by everyone, the eugenics aspect was mostly brushed over, and you'd have to look really hard to see it was there.
Quote by Dirge Humani
In the basic history classes I took, which were required by everyone, the eugenics aspect was mostly brushed over, and you'd have to look really hard to see it was there.

Wow, that sucks. In Ireland we learned about it in Biology class when discussing genetics and in History class when discussing WW2
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

2) Anyone with a basic understanding of evolution, Neurodiversity, or Genetics will tell you that eugenics is a bad idea.

Closest we get to learning about eugenics is the holocaust and some practices during slavery. Nothing this recent though. strange really.

My attempt at sparking controversy, and subsequently, debate.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by Ur all $h1t

depends what genes you're knocking out
To be honest, due to repeat abuse and the effect on kids, I could see forcing steralization on anyone who was caught drinking or using drugs after a positive pregnancy test.

That may sound sexist, but that's life folks.