Hi!

This question relates to the holding of the pick: Personally my pick is not really set on the side of my knuckle of the index but a little more towards the inside of the index (near the fold). The top of the pick is in the fold. I tried other ways, but impossible to play otherwise.

Most players have a bit of thumb over the index, with me it is not the case. My thumb rests against the pick.

What do you think about it?

Thanks
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Any way of getting us a picture, text descriptions are just confusing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, that's what I thought, there are plenty of players who make that pick position work and while I wouldn't really advise it to a beginner as long as you're relaxed in both your hand and arm I wouldn't change it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I see.

I arrive at play without any problems like that. But it happens often be tense, but less and less because I try to be relaxed.

The only drawback is that after a while it hurts a little bit my thumb.

Otherwise thank you!
Quote by Syndromed
I see.

I arrive at play without any problems like that. But it happens often be tense, but less and less because I try to be relaxed.

The only drawback is that after a while it hurts a little bit my thumb.

Otherwise thank you!

In that case I would probably say you should change, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
My holding postion is "Thumb backwards" ?

I can't totally understand the video, sorry.

edit : I'm looking a video of "Tosin Abasi" ... but wait his left thumb is ... completely twisted ...
Last edited by Syndromed at Jan 18, 2012,
Quote by Syndromed

edit : I'm looking a video of "Tosin Abasi" ... but wait his left thumb is ... completely twisted ...

Yes but you can bet that his picking is absolutely comfortable whether he's been playing for 10 seconds or 10 hours.

The point is that if it hurts at any point then you're doing something wrong and something needs to change. If you have to mimic someone make it Paul Gilbert, his picking technique is almost universally recognised as being some of the best in the world.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Ok thanks.

I see my teacher tomorrow and I will see with him this problem.

But change my holding position ... will be very long and hard ... sh**
Quote by Syndromed
Ok thanks.

I see my teacher tomorrow and I will see with him this problem.

But change my holding position ... will be very long and hard ... sh**

You get used to it, I've changed my picking technique about... 4 or 5 times since I started playing about 7-8 years ago.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
And it was very hard ?

I'm a beginner so ... I don't want to have bad habit that I will have to fix later with a very very big difficult so ... I'm looking on all my habit to see which is good and which is bad.

I must fix this holding position and my raised pinky ... the rest is good I think.
Quote by Syndromed
And it was very hard ?

I'm a beginner so ... I don't want to have bad habit that I will have to fix later with a very very big difficult so ... I'm looking on all my habit to see which is good and which is bad.

I must fix this holding position and my raised pinky ... the rest is good I think.

The sooner you do it the easier it is, definitely, I wouldn't say it was very hard to change your picking in small ways. I've made a variety of changes over the years from similar grip related issues to complete changes in motion and hand position and issues like this one are definitely easier to sort out.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Syndromed

What I would change about your grip is that the pick is resting against the pad of the index finger, when you can get a lot more stability (with no effort at all) resting along the side of the last joint of the index.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4 - watch at 1:40 and look at what part of my index is touching the pick.
So just turn on the side of the last joint of the index ... but in fact, do that, is come back to the normal position no ? Exactly what I have to do ^^

I tried ... it's like this ? I think I moved too.

I do not think it has to move a lot to the side ... just a little right ?
It makes me happy ^^

I will fix it to make a perfect position with my teacher tomorrow.

But ... thanks !!!!!