I just like to make my own songs
35 33%
I don't like playing unless i'm with other people
4 4%
Somtimes I practice
24 23%
Voters: 106.
Page 1 of 2
Who likes to practice either scales, practicing licks and patterns over a backing, or just regular muscle mercerizes.
I like how the option of "Sometimes I practice" doesn't really answer the question.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by blake1221
Is playing a song not practicing?

Playing a song is far too much fun to be called practice.

On topic,

Sometimes I practice. Vague option.

I haven't called playing guitar practice for years but I guess I do. Today I tried to nail the harmonica bits of Heart Of Gold while playing the guitar simultaneously. Shit went better than I expected.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 18, 2012,
I have no motivation to sit & run through scales & techniques over & over. My practice comes from playin' songs, or trying to make my own. For example I recently mastered tapping thanks to a couple Fugazi & Wild Flag songs.

Similarly, I've been noodling around with keyboard for about a year (well, not really a full year, 'cuz I didn't play at all while I was at school), but I don't have the determination to sit there for hours running through basic exercises, so it's been slow going until recently. But now I've been learning some songs, so I'm more motivated to play.

I know basic scales & modes from when I took guitar lessons back in middle school. I have at least an elementary understanding of music theory. But most theory gets thrown out the window when it comes to writing music with my band, anyway.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jan 18, 2012,
Well, you couldn't really call it practice, but I just noodle around the neck whenever I feel like it - I never really play scales if I don't fell like it.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Yes, I quite enjoy spreading my bass's frets and making her go boomshakalaka.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Yes. I love practicing. I very rarely sit down and work on my "technique". By very rarely, I mean never. I just learn songs that are at a higher level than I currently am. Or I work on learning songs by ear. I count improvising as practice too, as the more you do it, the better you get and I only do it to get better, so I guess that's practice.

But yeah, in all I love everything to do with playing. Learning to read music, ear training, intervals, scales whatever, it's great fun. I just wanna get as good as I possibly can.
I learned scales by playing songs by other bands, such as harmonic minor and Phrygian dominant(that's a mode of the harmonic minor scale). Those I subconsciously picked up from the black dahlia murder, also the diminished scale from lamb of god and the dorian mode from Guthrie Govan, I later learned their place within music so I could play them at the correct place but I don't see that as practicing necessarily.
Guitar shouldn't feel like 'practice', obviously learning a song is practice of sorts but it's satisfying, not a chore.
I like it. So much that sometimes two or three hours can just pass by playing the Highway Star solo
If I've got a spare 10 mins or something, I'll try and run through some scales and chords etc. Whereas if I sit down with the guitar I'll normally play songs or make up some stuff.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Yes. I love practicing. I very rarely sit down and work on my "technique". By very rarely, I mean never. I just learn songs that are at a higher level than I currently am. Or I work on learning songs by ear. I count improvising as practice too, as the more you do it, the better you get and I only do it to get better, so I guess that's practice.

But yeah, in all I love everything to do with playing. Learning to read music, ear training, intervals, scales whatever, it's great fun. I just wanna get as good as I possibly can.

^This 3000%.

i love practising, improvising, learning theory/scales. but learning tequnique comes to me through learning different songs and extended amounts of improv cos i cant stand repeatingthe same licks of and over again.
I only practice when I'm embarassed of myself, so all the time, and I ****ing hate it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by neidnarb11890
I have no motivation to sit & run through scales & techniques over & over. My practice comes from playin' songs, or trying to make my own. For example I recently mastered tapping thanks to a couple Fugazi & Wild Flag songs.
There's
I've never noticed this before. Where?
I feel like I'm at the point where I'm perfectly happy with my technical competence and I don't need to practice that. I just play whatever I feel like playing at the time, and it teaches me which notes, chords, and licks sound good together and which don't. Just jamming to backing tracks or doing some funk improv is great fun.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I've always been rather technically inhibited due to my rather short fingers. And I've never really paid attention to theory. I've just learned my way around the guitar by fooling around and playing with feeling/heart. I assume I could've been a lot better but I don't really care. I like what I can write and what I can play. I try to spend more of my time practicing my songwriting and singing ability nowadays.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Zoot Allures
I don't practice, i just play when i feel like it.

Welcome to the club.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Techniques and such, hell no. I hate practicing. Learning a difficult part in a song, hell yeah. I love the challenge.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
If playing a song is not practicing, then I guess, I have stopped practicing entirely.
I enjoy learning techniques knowing that my practice will eventually pay off a great deal.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
The only practicing (practising? **** I've never remembered the difference) I have ever done is through learning songs and repeating the techniques involved.

I've recently picked up my electric instead of acoustic for the first time in nearly a year, and have great fun thinking up awkward non-scale runs to warm up my fretting hand and accuracy of right hand. Going over and over scales just bores the living shit out of me.
Here's a finger breaker for you:

-------------------------
-1-2-3-1-2-3-------------
-2-3-4-2-3-4-------------

Fret 1 corresponds with finger 1 and so on. You can do this up and down the frets and try whatever variations you can think of.
"Playing guitar's fun"
(I've said that so many times now, it's almost like it said it it's self) though sometimes, very recently/lately, I feel restless and, since I know how to play something, I don't and play something else instead just to entertain myself, I should stop doing that. <- That is a bad habbit.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 19, 2012,
I've played guitar for like 4 years, yet I've only recently started properly practicing (sitting down to a metronome and going over scales and picking techniques).

I gotta admit, there's a certain satisfaction about it. That feeling that you're slowly getting better at something.

Usually, I'll pick out a certain scale to practice, make a little riff out of the scale that uses all of the notes and in a picking style that I wish to practise, then go over it in different positions.

Works quite well for me.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

this basically. I guess I practice my technique, but only by playing songs that happen to use that technique.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
If I'm practicing a section of a piece I'm learning/have learned, then I enjoy it. Everyday I warm up doing all the Segovia Major Scales 3 times, and I don't enjoy that.
I learned all of my techniques from my favorite guitarists and I practice them when I utilize them in jams. My riffs are horrible though and I can never really seem to write a good one
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
When I was in music school, one of my teachers told us that practicing is when you work on something that you can't do/haven't mastered. So playing songs that you already know, or warming up with scales, etc. isn't really practicing - it's playing, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just playing isn't going to really help you improve as a musician though.
I like to practice if it's for a purpose, meaning if I'm learning a song or solo for a performance, or writing something new, I enjoy that. But to just sit and practice technique building exercises, or learning some crazy lick that I'll probably never use is boring to me.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
I wish I liked practice. I need to find a way to make it fun...most of the time I just avoid it all together.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
I rarely practice scales, techniques, etc. I just play the songs I like plus random riffs and licks. I sometimes try to create my own songs.
Page 1 of 2