On my B52. Just replaced all 5 preamp tubes and whaddya know? Volume fluctuations. Im thinking blown power amp tubes, theyre still the stock tubes from the factory, but I wanted to check with UG. It really only happens above 11 o'clock or so. The output changes from playing to silence abruptly, not gradually, and I beleieve its on both channels but I'll have to double check that.

To be clear I mean volume fluctuations as in:

___----___----___----___----

Where ___= silence
and ---- = sound

Any help diagnosing UG?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I see this problem frequently resulting from cracked solder joints on the pots and jacks where they connect to the circuit board. I just reflow the solder on each pin. In addition you should clean the pots with DeOxit.
Well interestingly enough, this problem happened to me the last 2-3 times I played, so I didn't play for about 2-3 days for fear of damaging it. But today I wanted to show it to a friend of mine, turned it up and could not get it to replicate the volume problems. It played like it did the first day I got it. So to my thinking, possibly it's something that is dying, but is not dead yet? I don't claim to be an expert but I've done a fair bit of research on tubes before I buy.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Well interestingly enough, this problem happened to me the last 2-3 times I played, so I didn't play for about 2-3 days for fear of damaging it. But today I wanted to show it to a friend of mine, turned it up and could not get it to replicate the volume problems. It played like it did the first day I got it. So to my thinking, possibly it's something that is dying, but is not dead yet? I don't claim to be an expert but I've done a fair bit of research on tubes before I buy.

Could easily be your power tubes still. When they begin to die, they often die asymmetrically (meaning you sometimes get the problem, sometimes you don't)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Could easily be your power tubes still. When they begin to die, they often die asymmetrically (meaning you sometimes get the problem, sometimes you don't)

I've heard this, which is why I thought power tubes.

Quote by fly135
I guess my post was invisible.

Its a budget tube amp, I wouldnt doubt it if there's a problem with the soldering, do I fix it myself or get it to a tech?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jan 19, 2012,