Just a short video of some half-whole scale ideas, people tend to only use it on a dominant chord but it's got much more potential and needs to be realised so...here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j-ta-E2czk

I'm aware that, yes this is a recording and video but the idea of this video is to show people that there's so much more potential in scales that you don't quite realise.

Sorry if i've posted in the wrong subforum

Cheers
i prefer the chromatic scale
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
i prefer the chromatic scale

this. your video was cool though.
#DTWD
Reminded me somewhat of an opeth album....

edit: which means i enjoyed it.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Over diminished chords. There are many diminished intervals used in the scale. Another great scale using repeated intervals throughout is the whole tone (using only whole tones)

ex. C, D, E, F#, G#, A#, C (B#), D (C##) etc.
An interesting thing about octatonic/diminished scales is that you can form *lots* of different chords from them if you look at it and break it down. Not just diminished.

For example, take the half-whole version. You get 4 different, symmetrically placed, minor triads, major triads, diminished triads, minor 7ths, dominant 7ths (and a whole bunch of altered dominants), diminished 7ths, half-diminished 7ths, and so on.

You also can get other, non-standard chords out of it by experimenting with the intervals, such as a diminished triad with a major 7, or a major7b5, or some interesting clusters.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 19, 2012,
In fusion, it's common to pull notes from that scale over m7 chords. Although those players would never be thinking that way, that's just good ears.
Quote by Shredworthy
Another great scale using repeated intervals throughout is the whole tone (using only whole tones)

ex. C, D, E, F#, G#, A#, C (B#), D (C##) etc.

It's a cool scale, and the easiest to harmonize.