Hi

I have to tune all strings down 4 semitones for a singer - without going into it there is no alternative (capo, re-arranging etc.) so Im just inquiring what the best strings to do this would be. Would you be best go heavy gauge ?

Thanks
Pete
Okay... E is

E
B
G
D
A
E

E Flat is that but dropped HALF a semi-tone... so half of 1 step.

Eb/D#
Bb/A#
Gb/F#
Db/C#
Ab/G#
Eb/D# - It's called Eb 'E flat' but, my tuner calls it D# 'D sharp'. Same difference.

Dropped D

E
B
G
D
A
D

Dropped Db a.k.a C#

Eb/D#
Bb/A#
Gb/F#
Db/C#
Ab/G#
Db/C#

Dropped C sees... 'And now we get to the good stuff and my point and step by step break down from E Standrad tuning.' With Dropped C you get;

D <- It starts here on the thin/high string. A full tone down from E standard but just a semi-tone down from Eb/D#.
A
F
C <- Like Dropped D and Dropped Db/C#, this note is the same as the 'route note?' - the big chunky one.
G
C <- C/See... 'Get it?'

This see's all the strings just going one full semi tone lower than dropped D... 11/48 Guage. <- That one right there.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 18, 2012,
Quote by treborillusion
Okay... E is

E
B
G
D
A
E

E Flat is that but dropped HALF a semi-tone... so half of 1 step.

Eb/D#
Bb/A#
Gb/F#
Db/C#
Ab/G#
Eb/D# - It's called Eb 'E flat' but, my tuner calls it D# 'D sharp'. Same difference.

Dropped D

E
B
G
D
A
D

Dropped Db a.k.a C#

Eb/D#
Bb/A#
Gb/F#
Db/C#
Ab/G#
Db/C#

Dropped C sees... 'And now we get to the good stuf and my point and step by step break down from E Standrad tuning.'

D <- It starts here on the thin/high string. A full tone down from E standard but just a step down from Eb.
A
F
C <- Like Dropped D and Dropped Db/C#, this note is the same as the 'route note?' - the big chunky one.
G
C <- C/See... 'Get it?'

This see's all the strings just going one full semi tone lower than dropped D... 11/48 Guage. <- That one right there.

He wasn't asking what the tuning was. Just what strings to use.

TS, classical strings are regularly gauged like steel acoustic or electric strings are. Just find the highest tension strings you can find. It'll be very, very loose.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Good luck with this. Classical guitars are designed to use nylon strings. They get their volume from lightweight construction. Sounds like you need a baritone classical guitar.
11/48 lol, oh. Well, that was fun anyway... Writing all that.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
I think he meant string gauges...

I would go with the electric equivalent of .13s
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals