Page 1 of 3
So, a quick question which has been bugging me. Put here because I want the pits opinion.

The general definition of math rock is...

a genre which has evolved from Post Hardcore and Emo/Alternative Rock (two separate subgenres), and involves angular melodies and complex rhythmic qualities.
Now, in your opinion, if something sounds exactly like math rock, but is almost always in 4/4, what do you consider it? For example, Six Gallery, Foals, Dartz! and BATS all predominantly use 4/4 on everything I have heard by them, yet they are considered huge in the math rock scene. However, they sound like a non-mathy math rock, and it's hard to categorize them. I'm aware I'm being picky but I've always wondered.

tl;dr can something still fit into the genre of math rock if it fits the sound but not the definition?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
So, a quick question which has been bugging me.

Was this question about math rock so acute you had to ask it right away?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Rock that doesn't really rock because there are too many numbers and bad sounds.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Btbam is amazing and i suck their dick everyday

Not math rock, bro.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.

So much math in this rock.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I don't have a definition.
I went to a math rock show at my school last year & all I got out of it was that math rock bands don't have bassists & all sound pretty much the same.
I dunno, but it's pretty radical
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Kensai
Was this question about math rock so acute you had to ask it right away?

I see what you did there. I digit
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I regret ever starting this thread.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Dartz have always sounded like that style of British indie shit I don't know the name of.

When I think of math rock, which is a pretty shit categorization really, I think like Rolo Tomassi and shit like that.
Math rock: Over complicated and displeasing to my ears.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by theogonia777
Rock that doesn't really rock because there are too many numbers and bad sounds.

Not math rock, bro.

Its just all definitions and opinionitions anyway bro

Blotted Science? Theyre amazing and i dry hump them every other few days
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Its just all definitions and opinionitions anyway bro

Blotted Science? Theyre amazing and i dry hump them every other few days

Except...you know...definitions aren't opinions.

Just like BTBAM is not math rock.

Banjocal, the bands you're describing aren't math rock, they just share aesthetic qualities in the tones of their guitars.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jan 18, 2012,
Man now I'm gunna have to sit through class thinking about Paul F. Tompkins singing about Math Rock on Who Charted?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Man now I'm gunna have to sit through class thinking about Paul F. Tompkins singing about Math Rock on Who Charted?

wat is this.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I see what you did there. I digit

I can always count on you
Quote by Kensai
I can always count on you

Sumhow I always understand what you're after.
Quote by blake1221
Except...you know...definitions aren't opinions.

Just like BTBAM is not math rock.

Banjocal, the bands you're describing aren't math rock, they just share aesthetic qualities in the tones of their guitars.

I dont understand genres anyway, im just messin around. Math rock is what you liaten to when you do math homework, which iin my case is btbam, and so is english rock, and physics rock, and social studies rock, and health rock.
Nah I think it needs more complicated time signatures myself.

Quote by Banjocal
I regret ever starting this thread.

I'm here for you bro
I consider math rock to be rock with unusual time signatures. Not to be confused with progressive rock, which is rock based on linear progressions.
you're a stone fox
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Sumhow I always understand what you're after.

I feel I could trust you enough to cosine my mortage.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I dont understand genres anyway, im just messin around. Math rock is what you liaten to when you do math homework, which iin my case is btbam, and so is english rock, and physics rock, and social studies rock, and health rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsMLP3cheuc

Quote by whoomit
Nah I think it needs more complicated time signatures myself.
I'm here for you bro
:3

And to Blake, fair enough. I just cant understand how they get put in the scene when they are closer to Alt Rock.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Jan 18, 2012,
Quote by hawk5211

Make some music out of that.

Well if you rearrange the equations into a wave function and find something that'll play it through a signal generator you can. I don't know the technicalities but that's how cds are read.

Here's the wave function: x(t) = A.Cos(ωt + φ

Last edited by conor-figgy at Jan 18, 2012,
Quote by Banjocal

And to Blake, fair enough. I just cant understand how they get put in the scene when they are closer to Alt Rock.

It's purely because to the untrained ear, they're very similar. I know there are some more "out there" examples, but a band like TTNG compared with something simpler wouldn't be too hard of a mistake to make.

Giraffes? Giraffes! on the other hand...
Uh... That was kinda interesting, but also kinda disappointing, i thought it was gonna go into some complex polyrythm, but it gave me a bleh feeling, but thats math rock? I guess iv been listening to the wrong music when i do math hw
Try some SikTh, Protest The Hero, Dillinger Escape Plan etc. Most Djent bands have pretty weird time sigs, try Frak the gods by Periphery or some Vildhjarta.
Fellsilent are also kinda math metal stuff and so are the arush accord.
Quote by Kensai
I feel I could trust you enough to cosine my mortage.

Pi-ty I know almost nothing about mortgage. I'm really not the sharpest triangle in the Teletubbies regarding that.
math rock.... music played by nerdy dudes, who eventually folded into hipsters.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by ProgFripp74
Try some SikTh, Protest The Hero, Dillinger Escape Plan etc. Most Djent bands have pretty weird time sigs, try Frak the gods by Periphery or some Vildhjarta.
Fellsilent are also kinda math metal stuff and so are the arush accord.

SikTh and Dillinger aren't mathrock. Dillinger are mathcore and it's hard to classify SikTh.

Don Cab were said to have created the sub-genre of mathrock as far as I know, although they dislike the label.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4xzss5t8yM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLB6038745E6E62F12

This is possibly their finest.
Quote by blake1221
It's purely because to the untrained ear, they're very similar. I know there are some more "out there" examples, but a band like TTNG compared with something simpler wouldn't be too hard of a mistake to make.

Giraffes? Giraffes! on the other hand...
Well, I listen to a lot of math rock, and as such I can recognize the sound, but in conversations about it, people namedrop these bands, yet it's all in 4/4.

While we're talking about TTNG, Six Gallery are often called "the american TTNG" and are always called math rock. Lots of tapping and angular melodies with very intricate composition. All (bar one or two tracks) 4/4. Yet people maintain that it is math rock. I just wondered what you guys thought. I consider SG intricate and mathy enough (just about) to be math rock, but BATS and Foals are not, imo.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Uh... That was kinda interesting, but also kinda disappointing, i thought it was gonna go into some complex polyrythm, but it gave me a bleh feeling, but thats math rock? I guess iv been listening to the wrong music when i do math hw
BATS isn't math rock, but gets called it a lot.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Try....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de1bt5dc2t0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZqZCS0rCmE

Quote by Shr3dz0r
Protest.

The.

Hero.

Not.

Math.

Rock.

Math elements? Hellzzzzzz yes. But Math rock? No.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jan 18, 2012,
Page 1 of 3