Ok so I am trying to learn this song Rusty Nail by X Japan and I'm referring to this guy's video because I think he nails it. Anyone have any idea how he is getting that nice chuggy sound around 0:39 - 0:43? and other spots throughout after the switch to clean notes.

Also, anyone know how to get that kind of wah wah sound for the pre solo and solo? I'm mainly looking how to get that chuggy sound cause it sounds very flat when I play it could be that I am not playing it correctly but it's very hard to find tabs for this song.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGWlxya7eig

Edit: I've tried palm muting or whatever it's called and it hasn't been giving the desired effect plus it doesn't look he like does it in the video to me. Hard to tell.
Last edited by Feudalism at Jan 18, 2012,
It's definitely palm muting. He is down picking the palm mutes on the A or D(both?) strings, then up picking the higher strings on his way back up.

It could be that your guitar/amp setup is so different from his that it's not giving you the desired effect.
Hmm it really just doesn't look like his palm touches the strings at all (possibly since I'm an amateur/untrained eye etc) but still. I think you're definitely right about the effects difference, he for sure is using a pedal to switch tones like that.
He's definitely using light palm muting to make those chords more percussive. Make sure you're using the bridge pickup and use palm muting to give those chords a choppier sound.

Unrelated, but what the Hell is with those finger things he put on? I can't think of a single use for that unless he's got some medical condition that requires them or something like that. He didn't appear to be using them for muting like I suspected he would, which leaves perplexed.
Quote by Geldin
He's definitely using light palm muting to make those chords more percussive. Make sure you're using the bridge pickup and use palm muting to give those chords a choppier sound.

Unrelated, but what the Hell is with those finger things he put on? I can't think of a single use for that unless he's got some medical condition that requires them or something like that. He didn't appear to be using them for muting like I suspected he would, which leaves perplexed.

Hahaha I have NO idea, I was thinking the same thing...very odd. Only thing I can remotely think of is that his fingers may be cold? No clue. Thanks for the input tho, I'll keep at it. Tough some for me right now.