Page 1 of 2
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds
2,957 IQ
Hey guys, we decided to try doing another forum contest again, and hopefully we can get a few more entrees than last time

Anyone have ideas for dates or competition material?
Taerran
356 IQ
For competition material, you should grab a volunteer or two from the guitar forums, and have them record a song that has 4 genre variations. That way everyone can compete on a level playing field. Rock, Blues, Metal, Alternative maybe?
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Skinny91
Object-beater
1,561 IQ
I was saying on the other thread I could throw together a few backing tracks, something not to difficult, or maybe some of various difficulties.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
642 IQ
Yeah, also what would we judge it on?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Nathy137
1,359 IQ
I like Taerran's idea, like I think we should get some backing tracks with genre variations and then maybe once everyone has submitted their entry, we could put it a thread in the pit with voting to see what the whole of UG thinks because then we might get more votes on it?

Just an idea though.
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
642 IQ
I second that, Nathy. Sounds like a spiffing idea
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

whoomit
1,492 IQ
I would absolutely love to if I had my recording equipment at the moment. Once dates are confirmed I'll know whether or not I can participate
S0n1c '97
Guava king
707 IQ
Once you get the ideas and stuff in, count me in 100%.

Always wanted to see a competition that WASN'T about just covering another musician's work *Cough*CAtPM*Cough*

EDIT: Would we have to cover every one of the genres or just cover one and pool them all together for votes? I don't imagine we'll be able to judge on individual categories, especially since there'll probably be no more then 10-15. Not pessimistic, just saying.

Also, would the backing track(s) be one entire song, or separate songs?

I'm just wondering. I have a lot of questions.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Last edited by S0n1c '97 at Jan 21, 2012,
Taerran
356 IQ
Personally, I think it should be a 4~6 minute backing track, with riffs covering all of those main genre's.

All in one track, to see how each individual handles each genre. That gives open creativity, and it can help judges on seeing how each drummer adapts, and how versatile they can be.

Sure, it's cool if you can do blast beats at 300bpm, but now how do you incorporate that into a bluesy feel? Just my thoughts.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Skinny91
Object-beater
1,561 IQ
I personally think thats a bit long, especially since we will all be watching the other to judge each version. I think 2 - 3 minutes covering 4 or 5 genres or less would work fine if we did do it like that.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Taerran
356 IQ
Well, that really only leaves room for maybe 2 bars of riffs from each genre. I know 4-6 sounds long, but thats alotting less than 2 minutes per genre.

And the reason I push for an all-in-one song, is so you don't get say, a metal fanboy judging only metal songs, and passing up all the other entrys. This would be an original, all-encompassing competition.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Skinny91
Object-beater
1,561 IQ
I just don't think they would need to be that long, only 30-45 seconds worth of each would be enough to judge peoples ability to adept to the various genres. Plus with the lack of time it will make people have to think more about what they are going to play. Don't get me wrong though, I do see where you are coming from

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
S0n1c '97
Guava king
707 IQ
If I can put in my 2 cents, I think that a 3-4 minute track would be perfect. about 45 seconds for each genre, with a smooth transition to see what each individual can come up with.

$0.02

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds
2,957 IQ
I'd rather have a single style you can just groove out and develop through a few minutes, instead of playing the BTBAM and switch every 30 seconds
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
642 IQ
Well, we'd also need to decide on what and how many genres to put in one song and the tempo(s).

And you're also better off doing something 3-4 minutes because 2-3 minutes is too short to really get going for some people.
Or we could just agree (take a vote,whatever) on one genre and do a 2-3 minute song with that. It can go either way, really.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Last edited by Niiko at Jan 23, 2012,
dillonrips7
UG Sodomite
212 IQ
I would like to enter this if it's actually happening, does it only have to be original or would we be able to do covers?
Taerran
356 IQ
You.... didn't read the thread, did you?
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
stuntman133
terrible musician
160 IQ
Uh....yeah...I already pointed this out in a somewhat similar thread, but I'd like to point it out again.

If this plan goes through, how will the entrees be sent? Through YouTube, or through recordings?

Also, I'm interested, but I don't own a drum set (noise complaints :C).
Nathy137
1,359 IQ
Quote by stuntman133
Uh....yeah...I already pointed this out in a somewhat similar thread, but I'd like to point it out again.

If this plan goes through, how will the entrees be sent? Through YouTube, or through recordings?

Also, I'm interested, but I don't own a drum set (noise complaints :C).

Well I think that perhaps we could create a youtube account where we can share the it and then upload videos onto it by a certain deadline or something?

just a suggestion
stuntman133
terrible musician
160 IQ
Quote by Nathy137
Well I think that perhaps we could create a youtube account where we can share the it and then upload videos onto it by a certain deadline or something?

just a suggestion

That could work.
Nathy137
1,359 IQ
Right then, well I think we need to get this started soon, I can help out with the recording of the tracks but I need to fix my guitars first but I think we should go into the pit and ask for people to record some tracks with specific genres in it and then we can go from there.
Skinny91
Object-beater
1,561 IQ
Honestly I just think someone needs to take control and sort out everything from the idea to the planning like MH did. Last time he got the competition going even though not everyone submitted in the end (myself included). Right now, it just seems like it isn't going anywhere. And I'm not placing blame on anyone, thats just the way I see it.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Nathy137
1,359 IQ
Ok I'll try and get something going first of all I need to know what genres we are having in our track, or if we are going to do categories for the track genres, I need to know what is best so that then I can get people to then start recording tracks for us.
Taerran
356 IQ
I think you should have a song progression that is 1/4 rock, 1/4 metal, 1/4 clean (more mellow), and 1/4 maybe jazz? That covers a pretty wide range. Overall lengthy ~ 4 mins.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
642 IQ
We should put some funk in too.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds
2,957 IQ
I still think everyone should just record themselves playing a certain style for like 2 minutes. That way we don't need to worry about accompaniment, and we can just develop a single style organically instead of having to switch every 30 seconds

But that's just me
S0n1c '97
Guava king
707 IQ
I vote on multiple styles.

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
642 IQ
If we only use 2 or 3 varying genres then I vote for multiple styles otherwise it's best to do it Rev's way.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Skinny91
Object-beater
1,561 IQ
I agree with Rev, it just seems more simple overall.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
S0n1c '97
Guava king
707 IQ
I think it should be something of a mix between rock and/or metal.

IMO. Your musical tastes probably differ.

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Taerran
356 IQ
I'd say like a more modern rock as well. You can get heavy with it, or keep it simple and it still flows well.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds
2,957 IQ
Everyone can pick whatever style they want, there's no way we're all gonna agree on something

Just play to your heart's content, screw accompaniament
Nathy137
1,359 IQ
Well Rev I think we should stay to just one genre for all of us because then I can get someone to recording a backing track so that everybody can use it, because some people may not be able to get a backing track or whatever, and then every month we can change the style, thats what I have in my head anyway.
Taerran
356 IQ
Exactly. If you tell people "This is a competition, do what you want" you're going to have a mess. You need structure too even be able to judge.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Nathy137
1,359 IQ
Right well I will post in the Pit to see if anyone can record a modern rock backing track lasting 2 minutes or so and then once I have that the competition will begin.
moore.cute
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by Nathy137

just a suggestion

That suggestion seems to be good.. Youtube is good platform... and also you can create a facebook fan page for this.