I am pretty sure this is the correct forum for this question.

I am looking into getting a new amp setup. I have an idea that i want to try but im not sure how exactly to pull it off. my problem right now is that I have 2 cabinets. 1 is a 4x12 1200 watt cabinet, the other is a 4x10/1x15 1200 watt cabinet. I have a power amp that pushes 100 watts per channel. this seems extremely inadequate. In order to get proper sound out of this, do I need to have a power amp that will push 2400 watts?
I doubt that your cabinets are that high wattage. That wattage is most likely a different rating, you need to check RMS watts. Also, despite what people may say, it doesn't matter how low your power amp is your speakers won't blow up or anything like that. 100 watts through each cabinet will work fine, it just won't be as loud as the speakers can go.

Make sure you also have the right impedance between the cabinets and the power amp.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
actually each cabinet is 1200 rms watts. they are bass cabinets, that is my issue. i play 7 string tuned gdgcfad. I am thinking that i will get the standard guitar mix out of the 4x12 and a really punchy chunky low out of the 4x10/1x15. the amp head is a guitar pr amp ran through a guitar power amp. the power amp has 2 100 watt channels.
Yeah well that'll be fine then, I didn't realise they were bass cabinets. You shouldn't have any problems with that setup as long as the impedance matches.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Awesome, thank you

that would make my setup...

Guitar:
Ibanez RGD Prestige RGD2127Z

Amplifier:
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Recording PreAmp
Mesa/Boogie Recto 2:100 PowerAmp

Effects:
Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx II
Dunlop Crybaby DCR-2SR
Furman F1000-UPS Voltage Regulator/Power Conditioner
Behringer MDX2600 Composer Pro-XL Compressor
Behringer CX3400 Super-X Pro Crossover
Line 6 Relay G90 Digital Wireless Guitar System

Pedals:
Fractal Audio System MFC-101
Dunlop Crybaby DCR-1FC

Cabinets:
Gator G-Tour Rack 12 Space
Mesa/Boogie 4x12 PowerHouse
Mesa/Boogie 4x10/1x15 PowerHouse

what do you guys think? an recommendations?