Hey all! So this is pretty much my next target guitar:

The Ernie Ball Musicman Axis.

I have had the pleasure to play one over the last few months and everything about it is fantastic. Well... almost everything.. Being influenced by Joe Satriani and other "tone masters" has led me to be a frequent user of the guitar's tone knob during songs. So you can see how I am now a little hesitant in buying this guitar.

My question is: how hard would it be to install a tone knob/pot/appropriate electronics into this guitar? Obviously there will need to be work done on the inside of the body, but is it a real possibility to install a working tone pot into this guitar?

"Just buy a Super Sport!" I hear you say. Well that is the other option, but I really do prefer the Floyd Rose trem as opposed to the vintage trems.
Yes, but it would require drilling a hole in the body for the extra pot.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
couple of things you could presumably do (don't quote me, i'm terrible at diy, i just know what you *can* do, I can't do it myself )

dual concentric pot for the volume. that way you'd have the tone and volume knobs on the one pot. from what i hear it can be fiddly to turn one on its own, but it would likely be better than nothing.

i guess you could also fit a tone knob in place of the pickup selector, and then maybe use a push-pull to select pickups. though you might not get all selections (as that guitar uses a 3way switch and a push-pull only has 2 options).

or you could just put up with it... if it has no treble bleed attached the high end will roll off when you roll down the volume knob. obviously that's no help if you need full power with less treble.

i wouldn't start chopping it to bits, though, that's going to devalue it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the super sport. The floyd on this is more of a hassle than anything and EBMM makes insanely good vintage-style tremolos. Also, if you haven't learned the trick of using the volume knob as a tone control, you should get on that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
couple of things you could presumably do (don't quote me, i'm terrible at diy, i just know what you *can* do, I can't do it myself )

dual concentric pot for the volume. that way you'd have the tone and volume knobs on the one pot. from what i hear it can be fiddly to turn one on its own, but it would likely be better than nothing.

i guess you could also fit a tone knob in place of the pickup selector, and then maybe use a push-pull to select pickups. though you might not get all selections (as that guitar uses a 3way switch and a push-pull only has 2 options).

or you could just put up with it... if it has no treble bleed attached the high end will roll off when you roll down the volume knob. obviously that's no help if you need full power with less treble.

i wouldn't start chopping it to bits, though, that's going to devalue it.

Not worried about devaluation, I don't buy guitars to sell again
Quote by Windwaker
Also, if you haven't learned the trick of using the volume knob as a tone control, you should get on that.

This is 100% spot-on.

Just as a side note, if you're not completely sold on this yet and can get your hands on a JS1200 somehow, try it out.
^^ same here, but there's no point in being silly, either

i would try something reversible first to see if you can make do with that- like the dual concentric thing, say.

if you really can't make do with any of the reversible fixes then you could consider getting it modded, I guess.

EDIT: the volume knob as a tone control thing only works if you don't need full gain and if there's not a treble bleed capacitor attached. it's certainly not a panacea if you really need a tone knob. it's more a work-around/compromise.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 18, 2012,
Quote by :-D
This is 100% spot-on.

Just as a side note, if you're not completely sold on this yet and can get your hands on a JS1200 somehow, try it out.

I have wanted to play one of those for years as I've only ever played the JS100.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ same here, but there's no point in being silly, either

i would try something reversible first to see if you can make do with that- like the dual concentric thing, say.

if you really can't make do with any of the reversible fixes then you could consider getting it modded, I guess.

EDIT: the volume knob as a tone control thing only works if you don't need full gain and if there's not a treble bleed capacitor attached. it's certainly not a panacea if you really need a tone knob. it's more a work-around/compromise.

It is a safer idea, but I wouldn't really like to lose out of full control of the features.
Quote by HeadlessCross
I have wanted to play one of those for years as I've only ever played the JS100.

I use the knobs religiously as well, so this thing is amazing for me. In addition to volume and tone, the coil tap and high-pass filter give you just about any sound you need in a given context.
I use the knobs religiously as well, so this thing is amazing for me. In addition to volume and tone, the coil tap and high-pass filter give you just about any sound you need in a given context.

Seems like it's worth looking into. The only thing is where I am, I can get Musicman products at a MUCH cheaper price than Ibanez.
Ah, that's another point - I think the Axis models I've seen were around $1800. I got my JS for $1500 or $1600 a few years ago so that may have gone up to around the same price point, but not if the Axis is cheaper near you, I guess.
Ah, that's another point - I think the Axis models I've seen were around $1800. I got my JS for $1500 or $1600 a few years ago so that may have gone up to around the same price point, but not if the Axis is cheaper near you, I guess.

JS1200 retails about NZ$3,500 - NZ$4,000 depending where you buy from here.. I can get the Axis for a little over NZ$2,800.
Okay, nevermind what I said then.

It's fine

I;m going to talk to the local luthier about the tone pot installation. I just have to decide which finish to go with for the Axis.
It's a toss up between the pacific blue burst and the black cherry red I'm thinking.
^ agreed

but if the axis is that much cheaper than the satch ibanez get the axis.

Quote by HeadlessCross

It is a safer idea, but I wouldn't really like to lose out of full control of the features.

dual concentric will give you all the features. just might be slightly harder to turn the knob accurately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by HeadlessCross
So people find the blue more appealing you say?

Hell yeah, now I'm GASing.
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I'm just after a bit more info and I thought I'd save the hassle of creating a new thread.

I've kind of gotten over the whole Floyd Rose thing, too much of an inconvenience to change strings even though it's not full floating. I don't think I could bring myself to drill a hole in such a beautiful instrument so I should have listened to the original advice posted in this thread.

Anyway the Super sport does look like the more promising model, with more options in terms of not only the tone knob (which is the whole reason this thread was created) but also the 5 pickup selections as opposed to 3.

My question is, what is the functionality of the vintage trem system? Can it go up and down, or just down? And after prolonged use, how well does it hold it's tuning?
i think musicman sets all its trems (including the floyd) for dive-only.

i'm guessing you could set it up to float a little, but never tried it myself (only tried them in shops, with thestock setup).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think musicman sets all its trems (including the floyd) for dive-only.

i'm guessing you could set it up to float a little, but never tried it myself (only tried them in shops, with thestock setup).

Okay if it's dive only that's fine, cheers Dave. Although I'm not a wild whammy user, how hard can you thrash it with out it losing it's tuning?
i kinda get the feeling i've only tried the ones with floyds

or at least i tried the luke but i can't remember much about it Not even sure it has the same trem, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i kinda get the feeling i've only tried the ones with floyds

or at least i tried the luke but i can't remember much about it Not even sure it has the same trem, anyway.

The only difference I can find on the EBMM websire is thhat they specify the Luke has a floating trem while they don't specify floating on the axis.

Realistically I'm only going to use the trem for small things like "pushing" into notes (I don't know the correct term). For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVVZYOvMFY
The intro to this ^^.
I can't get enough of his guitar playing at the moment
Quote by HeadlessCross
The only difference I can find on the EBMM websire is thhat they specify the Luke has a floating trem while they don't specify floating on the axis.

Realistically I'm only going to use the trem for small things like "pushing" into notes (I don't know the correct term). For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVVZYOvMFY
The intro to this ^^.

EDIT: Any more opinions on the tuning stability of the MM vintage trem?
Quote by HeadlessCross
EDIT: Any more opinions on the tuning stability of the MM vintage trem?

The tuning stability would be at the machines. Usually MM throws locking tuners on their guitars with vintage trems. The axis would obviously have the locking nut. MusicMan has a very high reputation for using amazing hardware, I am sure the tuning stability would be just fine. How hard are you trying to bomb the trem?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
The tuning stability would be at the machines. Usually MM throws locking tuners on their guitars with vintage trems. The axis would obviously have the locking nut. MusicMan has a very high reputation for using amazing hardware, I am sure the tuning stability would be just fine. How hard are you trying to bomb the trem?

Cheers the info! And not very hard. I'd say mostly for chord vibrato's, not for dive bombing and such.
Quote by HeadlessCross
Cheers the info! And not very hard. I'd say mostly for chord vibrato's, not for dive bombing and such.

Oh then dude it shouldn't even be a factor. Good as gold.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Oh then dude it shouldn't even be a factor. Good as gold.

I don't think anything more needs to be said at this stage. Im pretty much sold!
I have a EBMM axis SS and I can tell you that the trem is an excellent piece of equipment. Don't worry about it.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by HeadlessCross

The intro to this ^^.

yeah they appear to be the same. I think it was the petrucci i was thinking of.

i think pushing into notes is a scoop or a doop. I'm guessing it'd be ok for that, but as i said, i haven't tried it. timmons normally uses a gotoh/wilkinson vsvg trem (i have one) and it's a fairly vintage type of trem.

and yeah timmons rules
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?