Hi guys, my band will be recording our EP at a studio soon.

To save money and time we are considering recording the guitar tracks ourselves at the university studio which is free for us to use.

One idea was to record a DI track for each guitar, and for solos leads etc and to then take them to the studio and have them reamped through a chosen amplifier to be used on the recordings.

Can anyone explain what would be involved if we decided to do this? Would it be very difficult?

Thanks.
Wouldn't be hard at all, dude. Tis a good idea too. But you'll need 2 tracks atleast for each guitar. I also recommend, if there's a part in a song that's like a big lift type thing (like a big end chorus or something) adding an extra guitar track down the centre to make it fatter and stand out from the rest of the song. But yeah, just DI them through their interface there and bounce the WAVs onto an external disk or something and you'll be golden.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Honestly, that's how I'd suggest any band with a decent understanding of recording should do it, as long as you have access to decent equipment. It'll save you a lot of money, as long as you can do it correctly, otherwise, you're going to pay more for editing so the engineer can fix your performance.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I assume so. Also, when you're recording, try and use a tone that's as close to the reamped tone you want as possible. I've noticed that I play a bit differently when using different amp types so playing, for example, as if you're playing on a 6505, when you reamp it through a 6505 it should sound more natural.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Cut out all the places where you're not playing too; it'll save the engineer time having to go and do it.
Let's party.
easiest way is through an interface then use plugins such as subscreamer (as a boost),x50(5150 sim for reamping), kfir with cab impulses (converts a preamp signal into the desired "micd" sound) . and also an understanding of Low pass and high pass filters and subtle compression. heres an example i made for metalish style music that demonstrates.

In this video i recorded a clean track, then reamped it then threw an actual mesa cab impulse over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-L_baPcb4w

OH and another thing, editing is key, so dont record an entire song in one take; record the BEST take for 1 measure of a certain part ie: a breakdown, then copy and past accordingly ( that is if your drums are in tempo without changes) and double track double track DOUBLE TRACK
-------------
--The Rig--
Peavey 5150 Head
BBE 362 SONIC MAXIMIZER
dbx 266xl COMPRESSOR GATE
Q215 PEAVEY EQ
Mesa 4x12 Standard Rectifier cab
ESP,LTD Viper 400 baritone (fitted with EMG81,85 actives)
-------------
Last edited by mikevmpr3 at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by mikevmpr3
easiest way is through an interface then use plugins such as subscreamer (as a boost),x50(5150 sim for reamping), kfir with cab impulses (converts a preamp signal into the desired "micd" sound) . and also an understanding of Low pass and high pass filters and subtle compression. heres an example i made for metalish style music that demonstrates.

In this video i recorded a clean track, then reamped it then threw an actual mesa cab impulse over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-L_baPcb4w

OH and another thing, editing is key, so dont record an entire song in one take; record the BEST take for 1 measure of a certain part ie: a breakdown, then copy and past accordingly ( that is if your drums are in tempo without changes) and double track double track DOUBLE TRACK

I don't think he needs to bother too much with too many plugins since he is going to be reamping the DIs through something nice anyway.
Quote by Cathbard

I don't think he needs to bother too much with too many plugins since he is going to be reamping the DIs through something nice anyway.[/QUOTE

You have got to be kidding me XD
-------------
--The Rig--
Peavey 5150 Head
BBE 362 SONIC MAXIMIZER
dbx 266xl COMPRESSOR GATE
Q215 PEAVEY EQ
Mesa 4x12 Standard Rectifier cab
ESP,LTD Viper 400 baritone (fitted with EMG81,85 actives)
-------------
Quote by Twistedrock
I don't think he needs to bother too much with too many plugins since he is going to be reamping the DIs through something nice anyway.[/QUOTE

You have got to be kidding me XD

Nope. The OP said he's going to take the DIs to a studio and re-amp them through some amps of his choice. No point using the X50 if he can have a real 5150 eh?
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by mikevmpr3

Nope. The OP said he's going to take the DIs to a studio and re-amp them through some amps of his choice. No point using the X50 if he can have a real 5150 eh?

Well, he'll need something to monitor the sound through. I agree that he doesn't need to spend a lot of time mixing to get the perfect guitar tone, but there's no point in tracking with a horrible sounding amp sim, because you won't be able to hear any mistakes, and likely won't play as well, because you don't like the sound of the "amp" you're using now
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Twistedrock

Well, he'll need something to monitor the sound through. I agree that he doesn't need to spend a lot of time mixing to get the perfect guitar tone, but there's no point in tracking with a horrible sounding amp sim, because you won't be able to hear any mistakes, and likely won't play as well, because you don't like the sound of the "amp" you're using now

I know that. What I was saying was that he doesn't need to spend a lifetime fussing about getting the right mix of cab IRs and the perfect EQ.
Quote by Cathbard