Page 1 of 2
Why haven't plastic guitars been popular?!

There's many advantages to them, light weight, durable, etc. yet they aren't popular?

Why?!
I own 2 plastic guitars

Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Lol.

Arent all those see thru guitars some form of plastic?

*Edit. Yes they are plastic. Lucite.

Quite frankly I do not want a plastic guitar. Wood resonates better, looks better and doesnt feel like a toy.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 18, 2012,
i agree with the rainbow maned-canadian.

also, that acrylic jem is sexy as hell.
Why? Because so many people think you have to have wood to get a good tone. No pun intended.
res-o-glas makes kits that are freakin awesome
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Lol.

I've seen one of them IRL only it was a 7 string. £7300.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Wood's more manly than plastic.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've seen one of them IRL only it was a 7 string. £7300.

I played one in town for a couple minutes, until they noticed what I was playing.
They told me the price and I nearly shit.
Quote by zenbone
res-o-glas makes kits that are freakin awesome

Like the Airline copy?

Do they still suggest you use a Fender neck? I was thinking about buying one and getting an Eastwood to transfer the neck, but after playing Eastwoods and playing a real Airline, I realized I don't like the Eastwood necks. And the wooden Airlines are just tacky as hell. Shape's all wrong and doesn't feel anything like the real thing.

The real Airlines aren't much of an option either at $2K+ for a worn out one. So fragile-feeling with the wooden bridges, brittle knobs, and flimsy pup selector switch.

I wouldn't get the res-o-glas body and put a Fender neck on it; so wrong looking with all those frets and a Fender headstock. If I wanted another Fender-necked guitar I'd just get another Strat, or some other Fender.
Because they are just fine how they are with wood. Plastic just sounds unattractive.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
But what if they had better tonal qualities then a wood guitar?
What if elephants could fly?

Fact is its still plastic and people will resist the change.
Carbon fibre guitars sound great imo but not many ppl use them.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
What if elephants could fly?

well for starters they'd have to stop serving peanuts on airplanes.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
@StonedColdCrazy Touche lol

Don't get me wrong, I love wood as much as the next guitarist.

I think one of the reasons why carbon fiber guitars aren't heavily used is because of the price.

Why pay thousands of dollars for a carbon fiber guitar, when you can get a Ibanez or Esp, for a fraction of the price.

But plastic on the other hand, giving that the guitar is designed right, would be just as good as carbon fiber but a lot cheaper. The sustainability, the different tones, weight could also be a cut in half of that of a les paul. With the wide selection of pickups these days, tones could be adjusted accordingly.
So what are you getting at, TS?

Do you want to send Gibson and all the other evil corporations destroying our planet out of business, yet you still benefit from the ability to play beautiful music on plastic instruments?

Plastic has it's own negative environmental impacts, and by some estimations is worse for the environment then harvesting rare rain forest woods.

If you just want to see guitar technology advance, then that's cool by me. But then why worry about whether it's popular or not?

Plastic guitars came and went last century. Perhaps when 3D plastic printing is a common household capability then they'll come back.

In the meantime, fiberglass is well within reach for the home hobbyist. I helped a guy build a full-scale airplane out of fiberglass in his basement. Knock yourself out. And buy a graphite neck for it if you want to go all plastic.
Greg Ginn got a pretty nice sound out of one of those see through lucite guitars so I think I'd be willing to at least try one if they were more readily available.
Quote by jetwash69
Like the Airline copy?

Do they still suggest you use a Fender neck? I was thinking about buying one and getting an Eastwood to transfer the neck, but after playing Eastwoods and playing a real Airline, I realized I don't like the Eastwood necks. And the wooden Airlines are just tacky as hell. Shape's all wrong and doesn't feel anything like the real thing.

The real Airlines aren't much of an option either at $2K+ for a worn out one. So fragile-feeling with the wooden bridges, brittle knobs, and flimsy pup selector switch.

I wouldn't get the res-o-glas body and put a Fender neck on it; so wrong looking with all those frets and a Fender headstock. If I wanted another Fender-necked guitar I'd just get another Strat, or some other Fender.

Yes they are Airline copies. But you can build them any way you want, the kits only have the body and what ever hardware you want. it really gives a great deal of flexibility to make them an exact replication or modded any way you want.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Lol.

Arent all those see thru guitars some form of plastic?

*Edit. Yes they are plastic. Lucite.

Quite frankly I do not want a plastic guitar. Wood resonates better, looks better and doesnt feel like a toy.

That's not a Lucite Strat. That's an Acrylic Strat.

"The" Lucite Strat was a Fender made promotional piece that sounded terrible and weighed in at 18lbs (~8.2kg).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Its not about "saving" the environment.

Its about trying something different. Our world is filled (majority of the time) with sounds that are repeated constantly and for a lack of a better term over used.

So my curiosity is getting the better of me and trying to find something different.

Finding that true tone without the use of too many effects.

The reason I ask if plastic is "popular" or common, is so I don't repeat any mistakes and make a dud guitar. So I ask for your help.
Wood resonates and has very distinct tonal qualities. That's why you see just about every stringed instrument in the world built using wood as a base. To use something else would have to take somebody creating another revolution in music, because up to now the human ear is pretty much trained to like what's already established, and has been for generations.

So, go resurrect a couple of legends that pioneered the electric guitar as we know it today and tell them to take what they did with the wood guitar originally and do it on another guitar made from different materials.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by kangaxxter
That's not a Lucite Strat. That's an Acrylic Strat.

"The" Lucite Strat was a Fender made promotional piece that sounded terrible and weighed in at 18lbs (~8.2kg).

*ahem.
Acrylic glass, a generic term for poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) hard clear plastic, commonly known by the brand names Plexiglas, Lucite, or Perspex.
@cdr_salamander, I mean no disrespect.

But would you ever try one?
Quote by slevy
@cdr_salamander, I mean no disrespect.

But would you ever try one?

I have played with a couple Rainsong guitars and they weren't bad. I would definitely be open to at least try one. I am not trying to put down the whole idea, I am just being realistic.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
was being lightweight and durable (hardly) worth the shit tone that they will produce?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
First, the glowing guitar isn't a Strat, but rather a JEM.

Second, tone snob all you want over wood and carbon fiber. But there's lots of great sounding all-metal guitars. There's guitars with metal bodies and wood necks. There's all concrete guitars and concrete guitars with wooden necks. There's even a cinderblock guitar with a wooden neck. And they don't sound as radically different as one might expect. And there's lots of plastic guitars, too, including fiberglass and other composites; both solid and hollow. It's all subjective, of course, but IMHO, plastic guitars have great tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSf4jyfTbIU&feature=related. Your mileage may vary.

They all sound better to me than a Standard Squier. I'm not sure why; it might be the agathis body, but I suspect it's the crappy saddles. Worst sounding guitar I've heard (even unplugged). The other Squier models are fine unplugged or with better pups.
Quote by fuzzpedal
Greg Ginn got a pretty nice sound out of one of those see through lucite guitars so I think I'd be willing to at least try one if they were more readily available.

I've always hated Ginn's guitar tone, I wouldn't wanna try one.
BTW, the guitar on my lap right now has pups mounted directly to it's basswood body (RG-770).

But most have pups mounted to plastic rings or to plastic pick guards. I also have a Squier with the pups mounted to an aluminum pick guard, but the rest are on plastic guards or mounting rings. If plastic resonated so poorly, then none of these guitars would have the pups mounted on plastic.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
*ahem.
Acrylic glass, a generic term for poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) hard clear plastic, commonly known by the brand names Plexiglas, Lucite, or Perspex.

Shut up, I'm much too drunk to agrue right now.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Thank you everyone for your input.

@jetwash69, what if the guitar had a plastic neck, ultimately a plastic fret board, would that be difficult to accept?
Quote by jetwash69
First, the glowing guitar isn't a Strat, but rather a JEM.

Second, tone snob all you want over wood and carbon fiber. But there's lots of great sounding all-metal guitars. There's guitars with metal bodies and wood necks. There's all concrete guitars and concrete guitars with wooden necks. There's even a cinderblock guitar with a wooden neck. And they don't sound as radically different as one might expect. And there's lots of plastic guitars, too, including fiberglass and other composites; both solid and hollow. It's all subjective, of course, but IMHO, plastic guitars have great tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSf4jyfTbIU&feature=related. Your mileage may vary.

They all sound better to me than a Standard Squier. I'm not sure why; it might be the agathis body, but I suspect it's the crappy saddles. Worst sounding guitar I've heard (even unplugged). The other Squier models are fine unplugged or with better pups.

So a jem isnt a strat? Odd thinking you have there. Clearly a super strat with a monkey grip. Im far from a tone snob, just likey resonance thank you.
Quote by slevy
@EspTro, would you try one?

you know what, i dont think i would.

if i wanted to just hear a string over a pickup ill play a didley bow
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by cdr_salamander
Wood resonates and has very distinct tonal qualities. That's why you see just about every stringed instrument in the world built using wood as a base. To use something else would have to take somebody creating another revolution in music, because up to now the human ear is pretty much trained to like what's already established, and has been for generations.

So, go resurrect a couple of legends that pioneered the electric guitar as we know it today and tell them to take what they did with the wood guitar originally and do it on another guitar made from different materials.

Actually, just so you know, res-o-glas guitars (made of fiberglass) actually have a wood center block, thus based around wood. They just have a wood center block with plastic forming the rest of the body.
Quote by slevy
Thank you everyone for your input.

@jetwash69, what if the guitar had a plastic neck, ultimately a plastic fret board, would that be difficult to accept?

Not for a lot of people. The Rainsong accoustics are like that.

Also you can get a plastic (graphite) neck for your electric project like that too from these guys, plus learn a lot more about it at this site and from their links:

http://mosesgraphite.com/products/electric-guitar-bass-necks/
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
So a jem isnt a strat? Odd thinking you have there. Clearly a super strat with a monkey grip. Im far from a tone snob, just likey resonance thank you.

When a Super Strat is made by Ibanez, has 7 strings, 24 frets, monkey grip, Floyd copy trem, and a Lion's Claw trem cavity, we call it a JEM, not a Strat. Even if it only had 6 strings it'd still be a JEM.

Strats don't have 7 strings. They also don't have pointy horns like an RG or a JEM. Give it 24 frets, at least one humbucker, and a Floyd/Floyd copy trem and it becomes a Super Strat, which only resembles a Strat. Strats don't resemble Strats, they are Strats. Anything else that resembles a Strat isn't a Strat. It's something else.

What's funny about that?

So by your logic, is this a Strat, too?

What if it had a six-in line headstock like regular Avengers and a bolt-on neck like the cheaper versions?
Heavily modified strat, yep.

Also...

A Jem is just a super strat with a couple extras. Still a superstrat, hence a strat.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 19, 2012,
Page 1 of 2