Hi all,

I'm a pretty handy guitarist and I have decided to take up bass seriously this year (you know, rather than the same old pentatonic scales and root note grooves!).

I have chosen my bass and I am basically looking for an amp with:

A) The required wattage to record quality bass tracks.

B) Something clean, quiet and capable of producing a wide range of tones clearly.

I have played a few amps in the 50-100 watt region that I think sound kinda good, but I am not for a second pretending to know what makes a bass amp sound great.

Please think of this as an opportunity to educate me constructively.

My budget is US$1000. This can include relevant effects.

Thanks guys!
There is a lot you could do with $1000. Are you only looking for a good recording amp, not one that could be used for gigging? Also, what type of music are you looking to record?
Bass amps are not needed when recording, it's very rare that the bass you hear on records is a real amp, many times it's just a DI. If the amp is in there it's normally mixed in with the DI sound.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Bass amps are not needed when recording, it's very rare that the bass you hear on records is a real amp, many times it's just a DI. If the amp is in there it's normally mixed in with the DI sound.

This, or you can throw down on a Ampeg B-15 flip top head. Only real reason to use an amp most times, is for real tube overdrive/distortion. If you need that, the key is having a lower wattage amp so you can drive it without having to play at gig levels.

On that note, a lot of these new 5 watter guitar heads (pico valve, Epi valve jr., kustom defender) all can work or be modded to work as bass amps perfect at recording level.

If you want to record yourself live or in a semi live environment, then your regular amp is what you'd use with a DI maybe.

Overall you'd probably want to focus more on the mics and room itself if you are recording with an amp.
I rarely (if ever) mic up a bass amp. The best tones are to be had from DI boxes. If you want an amp sound I find amp sims to be just as effective.
Yup, D.I. box for bass. If needed, perhaps use a Tech21 SansAmp BDDI to warm it up a bit.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Hmm, seems the DI is the way to go then. I am looking to use my bass mainly for recording.

I have used Tech 21 Sansamp GT2's for guitars before and was impressed.

I was wondering however, if there is decent software I can load into ProTools and hook up the bass directly to my MBOX. The equivalent of say, GuitarRig for basses?

I will investigate.
Ampeg SVX, it's made by the same people who did Amplitube, Softube do a "Bass Amp Room" too but I've never really liked it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I personally like the MarkStudio 1 - but it is a little pricey.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!