Hey guys for Christmas I got a Peavey 6505+ head used at guitar center. I played it for about 2 weeks and it was fine. Then it starts making these sizzling and crackling noises and decreases the volume now after playing it for a half hour. Also When I turn the presence knob past 7 or 8 it starts making a really high pitch noise. I know it isn't the tubes because my Dad's friend has a tube tester and we tested all the preamp and power amp tubes and they were all good. I tested all my cables and they're all good as well. The head is plugged into the Marshall 4x12 at 16 ohms and we also tried different speaker cabinets as well and they did the same thing. I'm not sure if it is the electric in my house or something because I've noticed my old classic 50 occasionally decreased in volume but we also tested the tubes in that and they're all good. If anyone has any suggestions or may know what the problem is please respond. Thanks
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272
How old is the head? I recently a Fender Twin retubed (the power tubes). It exhibited some of the same symptoms. The tech graciously cleaned the pots, checked the caps, and resistors, and replaced a few resistors. Works great now. Your amp may just need a good going over.
the amp was made in 2005 they named it after the beginning of peavey in 1965 to 2005. So it had to have been made no earlier than 2005 so its a new amp
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272
I said I bought it used and have had it since this Christmas
Anything bought at GC as a christmas gift can be returned until the end of January, so I would just take it back to get another from a different store. I had to return my interface I had gotten because the preamp was dead the other day.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Sometimes tubes will test OK, but still act funny in the amp. I had a tube that looked like a blown lightbulb in my mesa about a month after buying it. Amp blew the fuse, all tubes tested OK, but after replacing the one that looked burnt everything was fine. Most likely a bad tube. Got any spares to try?

Maybe GC will have a tech retube it for free since you just got it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
im probably going to take it back, im not willing to put anymore cash into it right now so either GC repairs it for free or im getting my cash back and buying a new one or 5150. It just breaks my heart to give back such a killer amp but i could always get another one but idk for around 650-700