Very simple question for you guys here.
I am learning the song "limb from limb" by protest the hero and I need to know how you guys would pick a certain part.

If you have already downloaded the guitarpro file for it, it is bar 17 (and all the repititions of the same shapes), if not I'll tab it here.

the riff goes:

e
B
G 12                                        12 15
D    14                           11 14
A         13            10 13
E             12 0 0 

e
B
G 12                   9
D    14                   11
A         13                   10 
E             12 0 0               9  0 0 

All 16th notes at 120 BPM.

how would any of you pick that?

the first 4 notes of the riff (and all the identical shapes that repeat, all the '12 14 13 12's, and '9 11 10 9's) is really whats getting me. I cant tell if all upstrokes (upward sweep) is better, or if I should just alternate pick it.

any ideas? I would very much apprieciate some help with this, I'm on a roll and I've been dying to learn this song for a while.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
really depends on what you're comfortable with, most people would alternate pick it though, and i'd assume that's what luke's doing on that part.

personally, i'd sweep/economic pick it, but that's just based on what works for me. if you can get it clean either way, it should be fine.

just don't downpick all of it
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
really depends on what you're comfortable with, most people would alternate pick it though, and i'd assume that's what luke's doing on that part.

personally, i'd sweep/economic pick it, but that's just based on what works for me. if you can get it clean either way, it should be fine.

just don't downpick all of it

well I'm practicing it right now at muuuuuch lower speeds, and alt picking it is much more comfortable, but when I speed it up I hit like every damn string.

so I guess its just a "practice at low speeds and when everything is clear and perfect speed it up" thing huh.....
hahaha I had a feeling that would be the answer but I'm too impatient to sloooow it down.

EDIT: to ross123, did you sweep it up to speed with the song? or did you just like read the tab and sweep it?
by the way, my last name is Ross, you copied me hahaha
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Jan 18, 2012,
heyy I joined first haha, yeah eventually got it up to speed, dunno what it was but alternate picking just wasn't doing it for me
yeah im having trouble alt picking it. The alt picking sounds fine on the G and D strings but then as soon as I get to A and D I start fcking hitting every string like an idiot.

hey I guess practice makes perfect.
I am going to force myself to sit down and learn the entire song because I havent learned an entire song in like 2 years, and my playing is REEEEALLY suffering.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
the whole "slowing it right down" way of practising can be the most annoying thing to hear but it is the best thing to do
Quote by ross123
the whole "slowing it right down" way of practising can be the most annoying thing to hear but it is the best thing to do

you are correct in both ways.
it IS the most annoying thing to hear, but I know deep down that it is the best way to learn something at full speed with correct technique.

it just like hearing "oh, youll understand when youre older and more mature" when youre like 15 years old. you know the person is 100% right, but you still wanna be like STFU.

haha thanks for the help ross and hail.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I find it most comfortable to pick D U U U for the descending diminished arpeggios, which sets me up for straight alternate picking from the open notes all the way through the ascending diminished run. With this method, your downstroke will also land on a strong part each beat, allowing a more natural sense of time-keeping.
All together, D U U U D U | D U D U D U.

I'd approach the second phrase the same way, only with a repetition of the D U U U D U pattern.
I have to admit, I tryed your way juckfush, and it is 10 times more comfortable than just alternate picking.

I think I am going to try and practice both ways, and then decide which way is easier.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic