Hi,

I was thinking about getting a new guitar, a Epiphone Les Paul to be exact. What I want to know is, if I got a Epi LP Standard, would it be a worthwhile investment to put in some replacement pickups, or would it be a waste of money?

Second part of my question is, what pickups does everyone recommend? I was thinking maybe a BKP Black Dog in the bridge and a SD Pearly Gates in the neck, or maybe a SD '59. I want this guitar to be a classic rock machine, specifically a Jimmy Page kinda tone (yes, I know that's cliche) but also able to do stuff like ZZ Top and KISS.

Suggestions/comments are welcome, thanks!
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Fryer Treble Booster Deluxe
Yes. Everyone else will prolly say no, buy a gibson. This comes up often. my old epi lp mod'd sounded fantastic. Played like shit, but the tone was breathtaking. by played like shit I only mean I hated the neck profile and I hate toms. I'd upgrade the pots too (requires bigger holes.)
I only paid 200$ for the guitar (plus top) used though, and 140$ on dimarzios, + 60$ on overpriced pots.

Edit #5000, prices in CAD.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 18, 2012,
Not 100% sure on the budget just yet, depends how much I can get the guitar for and how rich i'm feeling at the time. I'm in New Zealand as well so pricing is a bit different. Probably assume that my budget will cover 1 pickup in the BKP price range, and 1 in the SD price range.
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
SD Alnico IIs rock also. Have them in my epi LP.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
My favorite pickups for the kinds of sounds that you are listing are Duncan Antiquities. I have them in my les paul and they nail the Page, Bloomfield, Gibbons, early Clapton kind of sound. The secret to that kind of sound is using low output pickups and letting your amp do the work. I don't know much a set of those will cost down where you are but here in the states its about $250 a set.
Might also check out the Bonamassa Epi LP with the Burstbuckers. Should do all that and more. I'm really impressed with my Slash LP and the Burstbuckers should nail those tones you're after. For $700, keeping the stock pups it sounds like a reasonable solution for you.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Why does everybody insist on thinking about new pickups before they even get the guitar? WTF? Try it at a store, if you dig it, get it, if you get bored of the tone eventually, then swap the pickups.
Yeah I was actually thinking about the Bonamassa LP, I thought it was all sold out though? Knowing NZ, they'd probably try charge some ridiculous price for it here as well.

I was thinking about the pickups before I get the guitar because i've heard from basically everyone that the stock pickups are muddy and so I wanted to budget in replacing them alongside buying the guitar.
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay