Hi guys!

I searchbar'd this, but I couldn't gather any sufficietn or congruent info, so here's what i want you to help me with.

I plan to record my bass playing into my PC. I thing i read somewhere that lower frecuencies may damage the PC, so i need your help to avoid screwing it up.

this is just for studying reasons, so I don't need the perfect sound, i just need it to be decent. I'll give a list of what I have that may help.

bass and amp (LOL)
Zoom b2 pedal (it may work as a Line out, i think. It's 9 volt powered)
I could also borrow a microphone from my father, so micing the amp is possible, though i am not sure on how to plug it to the pc (haven't checked it yet)
and as far as software, i have soundforge 6 and vegas 4

Can i do this succesfully with the things i already have? how? if i can get anything that simplifies it all, and is cheap, i may consider investing though i would like to solve it with what i can already get my hands on.

any help is apreciated, thanks.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
If you're wanting to do this safely, & to an adequate quality for cheap, buy a USB -> Jack cable.
and what should i connect that cable from? directly from the bass, the pedal, or the microphone?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
It'd go Bass - DI Box - PC

Very few people mic up bass cabs unless they're running a tube head. Even then they tend to mix it in with a dry DI signal.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Sudaka
and what should i connect that cable from? directly from the bass, the pedal, or the microphone?

You can go direct from the bass, from the line out of an amp, or from an effects pedal. It's essentially just a less damaging way to connect an unbalanced instrument signal to your computer. The quality isn't the same as a proper DI box and/or interface, but it's more than adequate for what you want it for and comes at a fraction of the price (I got one for £15). If you want to hear a demo, search for my videos on YouTube. I think I have 4 covers up and all of them bar the Incubus one (which was done properly) were done with a cheap USB cable. They're just under the same username I use here.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jan 19, 2012,
what sort of mic would you be borrowing? different mics have different frequency responses. something like an akg d112 would be ideal coupled with a shure sm57 you would get a very full tone with a lot of room to alter - that being said either mic will get a reasonable enough sound from the amp.
any recordings i have done outside of a studio have been bass - amp - mic -M-Audio Fast Track into the pc, but you can bypass the mic set up and DI it as well. i think the software i used aside from in studio was sequel 2 or cubase.
providing the input doesnt clip you should be fine.
as for sending a mic to the PC, you could use a usb mic or (recomended) xlr cable to jack into the M-Audio box.
hopefully i didn't screw up and wording there
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
well, i got a usb adapter that has mic in and headphones out. but i need to plug the headphones to hear myself, and both slots are so close that i cannot plug both together (since i need to use a plug-miniplug adapter that's a little fat)
also, the plug is heavy and makes all lean a little down, so it cuts out.
I'm so disappointed...
I'll see if i can get a plug-miniplug adapter that comes in L and see what happens, but i hate this.
FFFUUUUUUUUU
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
any recomendations for DI boxes? what should i look after? what features?
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
This may be a little help for you sir
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282549

You will need a Bass. From there you can either DI or mike your amp, DI probably is the easiest so ill tlak about that.

You will need a DI pedal, i am waiting for a sansamp Bass driver currently in the mail :P
From that you go to an interface which converts your signal from your DI pedal into a signal readable by a computer. Some Interfaces can have a line in, so you can even plug your current pedal into it!
From there you hook the interface up to the computer, and use a program, such as reaper, to record.

incredibly bassic description, but the thread i linked has a shit load more info.

Edit: im not too familiar with DI pedals, but i know Sansamp have some good ones.
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Quote by Cantplay4penuts
This may be a little help for you sir
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282549

You will need a Bass. From there you can either DI or mike your amp, DI probably is the easiest so ill tlak about that.

You will need a DI pedal, i am waiting for a sansamp Bass driver currently in the mail :P
From that you go to an interface which converts your signal from your DI pedal into a signal readable by a computer. Some Interfaces can have a line in, so you can even plug your current pedal into it!
From there you hook the interface up to the computer, and use a program, such as reaper, to record.

incredibly bassic description, but the thread i linked has a shit load more info.

Edit: im not too familiar with DI pedals, but i know Sansamp have some good ones.

yeah, i've been recently in that thread and the one with reviews. healped a bit. I am searching the interface, and i think i am going for a m audio fast track. but i am not getting a sansamp. at least not yet. I am not too keen on pedals, I already got one to mess around, use as a tuner and metronome. I'll just get the interface i think. but i'd like to know if anone here has some experience with them and what can you recomend...

EDIT: Fvck it, I'm using the line out socket.
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Jan 20, 2012,
A DI pedal is entirely superfluous if you have an interface with line/instrument in for 1/4" jack. Plugging your instrument into a DI box first will yield no better quality than directly into the interface. The only use for boxes like the Sansamp in this case is for tone shaping, so it's essentially just functioning as an effects pedal. There's no need to break the bank for that in my opinion as there is plenty of more-than-adequate modeling software available for free. In short, you'd only need the mAudio, not the Sansamp as well.
ok, the the m audio is necesary. sansamp isn't. and i got nuendo 3 as a program but i couldn't manage to shut off one channel when needed to (for example, when i got the bass in the left channel and the drums on the rigth one) nor recording, even though there's the red dot for recording, i cant generate nothing new, nothing appears. is there any free, easy to use rcording software? i tried audacity, but it records what I play, and the backing track together in the same recording, and i'd like to isolate my playing from everything else to listen. also, when recording using audacity, the recorded track starts a little late than it was recorded

I hate this much trouble.
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
How are you currently recording the bass signal? As for software, I'd recommend Reaper.
Quote by Ziphoblat
How are you currently recording the bass signal? As for software, I'd recommend Reaper.

yes I am. I'm using nuendo 3, and now i can do it oretty much ok, so no worries. when i can, i'll get the ausio interface, meanwhile, i'll just plug the bass to the pink mic entrance. so far it's helping me to discover that i suck a lot and that i can't stay in tempo but oh well, this way i think i'll be able to develop a good tempo-ing eventually....
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2