One of the guys in another band around here is selling his marshall cabs. I'm using a 6505+ combo, and for now I'd like to run the internal speaker with one cab(if possible) but sooner or later would like to know how to convert it into a head(any construction info?) but anyways. One cab is marshall made in 1977(??)with 2 vintage 30's and 2 G12H30's installed; the other is a marshall 1960ax cab with greenbacks. I can get either for $500 bucks. I'm wondering 1) how they would sound with my 6505+, and which one I should buy 2)How the ohms would work, and if I could use the internal speaker too(I'm a noob, so explain in detail how to match ohms and such), 3)Right now I'm having the problem of not projecting enough. I hear the other guitarist with a peavey windsor head and a 4x12 better than I hear myself. Will this help with this? Because there's more speakers instead of one going in one directon? I need to know because we're playing gigs more frequently. Thanks.
Quote by xX.Homesick.Xx
but sooner or later would like to know how to convert it into a head(any construction info?)

You cut the top part of the amp off. And don't saw through the tubes.

Or you can take measurements, build a custom box for the internals, and put them in the new box. Seems easier to me, fancier, and will result in a much nicer head.
you can clip the speaker wires connecting the amp to the speaker, then solder the cables to a 1/4 jack. Then just plug in a speaker cable and you are all set. I did this to a cheap combo and it worked, but i would sell off the combo and just get the peavey 6505+ head. I've played both, and wasn't impressed with the combo but love the head. Plus, I wouldn't want to risk damaging the amp if you don't do it right.
$300 tops. 1960s are practically worthless unless they're pre '71.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs

I just wouldn't pay that much for a Marshall cab. Especially for what you play. For $500, you can get a V30 loaded Mesa 412 that will suit your music much better. Greenbacks aren't really what you want. Plus the Marshall cabs of the last 20 years are built pretty shoddily. They need a bit of work to perform their best.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
So I'm just going to buy a Randall RT cab with greenbacks because I prefer the sound over v30's. It's 500 bucks, and new so I think its better than buying used.. I think it's sturdier too. But it's 8 ohms, and I want to set my 6505+ 112 on top of the cab and use the internal speaker.. but the internal is 16 ohms I hear? so what should I set it to? 4 or 8 ohms?